Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Go big or go home... Big bore/Stroker talk

With my new project engine showing up within the next couple days, I've been doing some research on what's already out there that people may not know about... As usual, it all boils down to, "How fast do you want to go" = "How much money do you have"... Then again, most people don't have plans to blow a crap load of money on a v6...

Anyway, I contacted Darton Sleeve to see if they already had anything for the LFX, or if a guy would have to ship them a block for R&D. Much to my surprise, I was told that they did have a Modular Integrated Deck wet sleeve kit that would work, which would allow for a maximum bore of 98mm

If someone wanted to have their block re-sleeved and hogged out to 98mm, this would bump you all the way up to having a 3.9L engine! Personally, I would leave some meat for future rebuilds and probably only go to 97mm, which would leave you at a 3.8L engine.

As far as finding an off the shelf stroker crank, no such luck yet. I have found a couple places I might contact to talk about custom cranks, and I've also found a couple that I think I might be comfortable with welding/offset grinding...

Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 PM   #2
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Unless a guy was just a motor head from get-go, I would just trade up to a SS for more juice. Of course my situation is different as ours is my wife's daily driver. When we get ready for another weekend toy, we have plans to upgrade to a 6.2.....unless of course Hillary gets elected and outlaws them.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:23 PM   #3
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Sounds interesting.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #4
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Financial logistics here would put off most, so let's all get theoretical then. What would this do to ones compression ratio? Would it need to be altered to stay at 11.5:1? I assume an upgrade like this would also mandate camshafts of a "custom grind" nature.

For a reference what's our stock diameter? 95mm?
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
while most of us (myself included) would just move up to an SS, some people find great joy in taking the V6 to new heights (Gretchen?). its all about what YOU want to do.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
I was looking for cranks for a while and I couldn't find one either. I had a couple of people quote me $25K+ for a custom one so I quit looking. Hopefully you can find someone more reasonable.

I like the sleeves in the stock block because they don't look like they will slip. Post up some pics of the Darton if you can, I'd like to see how they compare.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:56 AM   #7
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I was looking for cranks for a while and I couldn't find one either. I had a couple of people quote me $25K+ for a custom one so I quit looking. Hopefully you can find someone more reasonable.

I like the sleeves in the stock block because they don't look like they will slip. Post up some pics of the Darton if you can, I'd like to see how they compare.
Some info and pics of Darton MID sleeves here:
http://www.darton-international.com/midinfo.html
I imagine they look very similar to the pictures, but I don't have a set in my hands. They told me they take about 3-4 weeks to make.

The only reason I posted this is because I had seen several people that have said "If only the made a stroker kit..." or similar... If you want to pump up a 6, by all means go for it. If you don't, buy an SS. Different strokes for different folks. I'm just exploring what options are/can be available. Of course with the resleeve and a bigger bore, custom pistons would probably have to be made as I doubt you can get +3/4mm pistons off the shelf.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
3.8L... could you still turn 7000rpm?

My point being that a stroker wouldn't turn as high but would make a lot of power... And probably wouldn't change the CR, which would allow for forced induction at it's highest potential still.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I think it is cool that you are working on ideas to modify the V6. But I am one of those, like a few others, that before I would spend money on the V6 modding it for what is going to be small HP gains I would just step up to an SS also. I already thought I went overboard when I added the ported TB and the HFC's. I have stopped and o more goes into it. I still am interested in what you can squeeze out of the LFX engine.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
I think it is cool that you are working on ideas to modify the V6. But I am one of those, like a few others, that before I would spend money on the V6 modding it for what is going to be small HP gains I would just step up to an SS also. I already thought I went overboard when I added the ported TB and the HFC's. I have stopped and o more goes into it. I still am interested in what you can squeeze out of the LFX engine.

Dean.
I start threads like these to hopefully promote some interesting conversation aside from people asking "What's the best cold air intake?", and "When will the LFX Vararam intake come out"...

So I heard back from Darton on the sleeve pricing. Retail on these kits is $1825.00ea... If I can get at least 5 people interested, we can do a group buy and get them for $1551.25 per set.

Given the exact same piston, and combustion chamber specs, compression will increase, however as custom pistons will have to be made anyway, the dome can be changed to keep compression at the stock levels if desired.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #11
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I start threads like these to hopefully promote some interesting conversation aside from people asking "What's the best cold air intake?", and "When will the LFX Vararam intake come out"...

So I heard back from Darton on the sleeve pricing. Retail on these kits is $1825.00ea... If I can get at least 5 people interested, we can do a group buy and get them for $1551.25 per set.

Given the exact same piston, and combustion chamber specs, compression will increase, however as custom pistons will have to be made anyway, the dome can be changed to keep compression at the stock levels if desired.
Okay, I'll bring up something I've been thinking about. All the folks that are considering staying NA never talk about raising the compression ratio. Any thoughts on raising it to 12.5:1 and running 91/93 octane? That should be a nice bump in HP I would think.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:52 AM   #12
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Okay, I'll bring up something I've been thinking about. All the folks that are considering staying NA never talk about raising the compression ratio. Any thoughts on raising it to 12.5:1 and running 91/93 octane? That should be a nice bump in HP I would think.
I've been thinking the exact same thing... If it was "designed" to run on 87 octane @ 11.5:1, how high could a person go and run it on 91/2/3 only? As it is now I've been running on 89 as it seems to run better/smoother. I would notice surging and some other weird stuff on 87.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
GretchenGotGrowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
I've been thinking the exact same thing... If it was "designed" to run on 87 octane @ 11.5:1, how high could a person go and run it on 91/2/3 only? As it is now I've been running on 89 as it seems to run better/smoother. I would notice surging and some other weird stuff on 87.
Maybe just go to 12:1 as a first pass.

Here's my thinking on an ideal NA V6 strip car.
  • Raise compression to about 12.5:1
  • Go with lightweight rods and pistons
  • Balance the rotating assembly to perfection
  • Custom cam for peak HP in the 7500-7800 range
  • Replace the valve springs/retainers
  • Minimum 3600 stall
  • Tune and move the rev limiter to 8000 RPM

Let that baby spin up and go.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #14
HP Turbine
Boosted

Drives: 2012 1LT RS... with snails
All this sounds really great. I hope someday there will be tons of manufactured parts for the V6 (more than air ways). With the current custom parts prices you would have to sell your car just to pay for the parts, then you're left with nothing.

A high octane high compression V6 with a stroker would make some V6 love for everyone.

IPS Twin Turbos, Corsa Exhaust, Ported Throttle Body. 461 rwhp 443 rwtq!! *Cameron Hass.ani*
HP Turbine is offline   Reply With Quote