Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-12-2016, 02:06 PM   #1
Stewpock

Drives: 2015 ss camaro, 2016 gt mustang
Is my Camaro a Lemon??

A little history over the past few month my battery kept dying and had to be jump started every couple of weeks. Then the check engine light would come on every few weeks and then my navigation and speedometer would go black. I took it to the dealership they gave me a new battery reset the computer and it would work fine for a bit. My car has about 10k miles.

But yesterday I was driving and my car went completely black and I lost power steering. I was able to pull over to the side of the road. The car would turn over but none of the dash lights would turn on and the steering wheel was hard to turn. So I kept turning it on and off and finally I disconnected the battery and the dash came on and it had a CEL and a message about drive carefully power steering is reduced. I restarted the car one last time no error messages and power steering worked. My dealership was closed so I made a appointment and drove it home.

Today I drove to the dealership no problem went to a different one then usual. I told them about what happened. They said since it wasn't showing it they couldn't do anything about it. So i get a oil change tires rotated and realignment. When I get into my car all the dash lights are on, ABS is light up, CEL, showing parking break is engaged when it isn't, cycle thru the messages it says, something about service Stabilitrak, power steering is reduced and I think they rotated my tires incorrectly because the car would barely move felt like the brakes were engaged. I couldn't believe the service technician would just hand over a car that was clearly broken. He keep trying to say they weren't on when he pulled the car around. But they were on as soon as i got into the car. You couldn't miss them. So i left my car with them to look it over.

Has anyone every had these issues? And what are the chances that I could say my car is a lemon and force GM to buy it back? Though I imagine I won't get all my money back. The Stabilitrak issue, frequent dead batteries and dead, navigation screen/ speedometer has been a reoccurring issue. I have no faith in my Camaro it got to the point that I went and bought a new mustang and the Camaro just takes up garage space.
Stewpock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
no issues here, but i believe they(dealer) have 5 tries to fix it before it's considered a lemon car. is your car an RS?
Old 05-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #3
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewpock View Post
A little history over the past few month my battery kept dying and had to be jump started every couple of weeks. Then the check engine light would come on every few weeks and then my navigation and speedometer would go black. I took it to the dealership they gave me a new battery reset the computer and it would work fine for a bit. My car has about 10k miles.

But yesterday I was driving and my car went completely black and I lost power steering. I was able to pull over to the side of the road. The car would turn over but none of the dash lights would turn on and the steering wheel was hard to turn. So I kept turning it on and off and finally I disconnected the battery and the dash came on and it had a CEL and a message about drive carefully power steering is reduced. I restarted the car one last time no error messages and power steering worked. My dealership was closed so I made a appointment and drove it home.

Today I drove to the dealership no problem went to a different one then usual. I told them about what happened. They said since it wasn't showing it they couldn't do anything about it. So i get a oil change tires rotated and realignment. When I get into my car all the dash lights are on, ABS is light up, CEL, showing parking break is engaged when it isn't, cycle thru the messages it says, something about service Stabilitrak, power steering is reduced and I think they rotated my tires incorrectly because the car would barely move felt like the brakes were engaged. I couldn't believe the service technician would just hand over a car that was clearly broken. He keep trying to say they weren't on when he pulled the car around. But they were on as soon as i got into the car. You couldn't miss them. So i left my car with them to look it over.

Has anyone every had these issues? And what are the chances that I could say my car is a lemon and force GM to buy it back? Though I imagine I won't get all my money back. The Stabilitrak issue, frequent dead batteries and dead, navigation screen/ speedometer has been a reoccurring issue. I have no faith in my Camaro it got to the point that I went and bought a new mustang and the Camaro just takes up garage space.
From what I have seen, GM could care less about your experience, unless you make a stink about it. Take it to the dealership you bought it from and leave it there until it's perfect.

How about a picture of your new ride?
Old 05-12-2016, 05:32 PM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You could have issues with bad grounds or a bad connection on a wiring harness or a bad component etc.... You need to document this as it may be needed.. and different states have different lemon law requirements before you can actually force them to take the car back. Every time it has had to be looked at make sure its saved for records. If they rotated front to back they may be interfering with the rear brakes due to the rims hitting the calipers maybe..... its a case of WTF, Pirellis do not get rotated ever they are one sided one directional for the stock ones that came on my thirteen, sounds like you should be pissed. Or ____ _ _____ .
Old 05-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #5
Cyber10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalberdi99 View Post
no issues here, but i believe they(dealer) have 5 tries to fix it before it's considered a lemon car. is your car an RS?
This, some states vary with the time period that you can claim that the vehicle is a lemon but normally it is at least within the first 12-18 months of original purchase(meaning the date when the car was purchased new, so even if you buy used and it's within the period you're still covered).

As stated above you have to give the manufacturer a reasonable number of attempts to remedy the problem(s), and I know in Indiana if your car is out of commission for a total of 30 business days and there is still a problem you can also claim lemon law.

It's best to either call a local lemon law attorney and ask them about it or look up your state's lemon laws, they differ quite a bit state to state.
Cyber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
Criticalmass

Drives: 2014 Ford Mustang GT Premium
Lemon laws are different for each state, but in the ones that DO have a law (not all do), you usually have to give them 3 tries to fix it, or the car has to be in the service dept for 30+ days (doesn't have to be combined) for the same issue over a year or so.

Your issue sounds like a major hassle. Tracking down electrical issues has always been a pain in the ass even with an experienced electrician doing the tracking.
Criticalmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:46 AM   #7
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
If you have an SS, then you don't rotate as the front and rear have different size wheels and tires.
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #8
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
If you have an SS, then you don't rotate as the front and rear have different size wheels and tires.
Bingo the rears can't go on the front as you have an SS with a staggered configuration and I believe the front and rear rims are different as well as the tires... Your dealer is an idiot if they rotated your tires!
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #9
kmarshall2121

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
thats not only on the SS.....
kmarshall2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #10
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarshall2121 View Post
thats not only on the SS.....
No but it is always true on the SS whereas it would only apply to an RS if it were the V6 AFAIK.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #11
Gelugon

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
You could have issues with bad grounds or a bad connection on a wiring harness or a bad component etc.... You need to document this as it may be needed.. and different states have different lemon law requirements before you can actually force them to take the car back. Every time it has had to be looked at make sure its saved for records. If they rotated front to back they may be interfering with the rear brakes due to the rims hitting the calipers maybe..... its a case of WTF, Pirellis do not get rotated ever they are one sided one directional for the stock ones that came on my thirteen, sounds like you should be pissed. Or ____ _ _____ .
I agree sounds like a bad ground. We got my daughter a 2013 cruz, it was starting to have the issues you described. Took it back to the dealer, they replaced the ground post that the battery connects to and there have been no issues.

Visibly to me the post looked good, but it wasn't.

Good luck

Gelugon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:04 PM   #12
Stewpock

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
Yeah I didn't think you could rotate the tires they only said they were going to replace the tire with nails in it and realign them. It wasn't till I was checking out that he said that they rotated the tires. I didn't think anything of it till I got in the car and I was having all those issues. The service guy says that you can rotate them side to side. I am pissed I'm fine with them making a mistake but not owning up to it is messed up and I've called them twice with no updates.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:48 PM   #13
Stewpock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelugon View Post
I agree sounds like a bad ground. We got my daughter a 2013 cruz, it was starting to have the issues you described. Took it back to the dealer, they replaced the ground post that the battery connects to and there have been no issues.

Visibly to me the post looked good, but it wasn't.

Good luck
This is what they thought the issue was when I originally took it to Kilgore Chevrolet they said they replaced all of that and have me a new battery. But when I called the dealership I mentioned what you suggested. But they're closed so I'll keep y'all updated whenever I hear back from them.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:09 PM   #14
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Make your stealership check all grounds! That's a big safety concern
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, lemon law, power steering failure, stabilitrack