Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 01-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #15
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport-Ho-Vette
This
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2017, 09:17 PM   #16
willoverkill

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
I had a question about the vortech unit.

Have you done any testing using a smaller supercharger vs one that seems built for a V8 (website says the v3 makes over 700hp)? I ask because the bigger, bulkier supercharger is made to handle the strain and stress of 700+hp that it'll never see installed on the lgx.

That sounds like a lot of wasted weight spinning around that doesn't need to be. Would you not potentially get more performance out of the lgx with a lighter and probably smaller supercharger? Price probably wouldn't be much different but the parasitic loss could be.

Or does it end up not making any measurable difference?
On the LFX 5th gen kits, we're running a mid 3.x" pulley on the base kit and as low as 3" so far on kits with upgraded cams and exhaust to get 12psi. Based on that we're fairly right sized I think.

On the 6th gen we also need to run a smaller diameter crank pulley, to provide clearance to the front sway bar, which will underdrive the supercharger. We'll need to run smaller pulleys on the supercharger to compensate, so we'll be happy to have a larger blower that flows more air per pulley size.
willoverkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:43 AM   #17
Gen6Rs

Drives: 16 black RS
can't wait to see some dyno numbers...
Gen6Rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #18
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by willoverkill View Post
On the LFX 5th gen kits, we're running a mid 3.x" pulley on the base kit and as low as 3" so far on kits with upgraded cams and exhaust to get 12psi. Based on that we're fairly right sized I think.

On the 6th gen we also need to run a smaller diameter crank pulley, to provide clearance to the front sway bar, which will underdrive the supercharger. We'll need to run smaller pulleys on the supercharger to compensate, so we'll be happy to have a larger blower that flows more air per pulley size.
I was just thinking in terms of excessive rotating weight needing less power to make the same boost assuming we're not talking the kind of boost that requires you to rebuild the top-end of the motor like that.

I guess maybe it matters more on turbos vs superchargers that run on gears.

Curious at how it behaves and performs on an otherwise stock lgx without any internal changes. Do you retain AFM in your tuning and/or provide a toggle option like Trifecta's tunes? Does your SC tune also modify the TCM?
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #19
viewska

Drives: Red Hot Vert
subscribed. going to be watching this all closely
viewska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:45 PM   #20
Zoom

Drives: Summit White 2018 1SS 1LE
About time the V6 got some love!
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:34 AM   #21
MyneS
STORM

Drives: 2021 Satin Steel Metallic 2SS
I'm patiently waiting...well kinda��

Check out: The creation of STORM
American Authority Front Bumper, ACS Rockers, GM Dark taillights, ZL1 Carbon Fiber interior dash, Engine Bay “red hot” Dress Up, 6LE Skorpion hood, Borla ATAK w Xpipes (TRADED)
MyneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #22
monkeychops

Drives: 2016 V6 6 speed
WATCHING
400 hp to the wheels and I'm interested.
$7k maybe....anything under and its a winner
monkeychops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:51 AM   #23
willoverkill

Some pictures to share! We've been chugging along like a turtle until now, all kinds of things needed to be ordered and mocked up/removed/reinstalled/removed. Something as simple as a larger crank pulley bolt in the right strength grade took a couple days to get, and the intercooler we've specced won't be ready and delivered until Thursday though we have an alternative being delivered too and we'll see which we like.

Onto pictures, here's the main progress, a Vortech sat in the engine bay in all its mockup glory. This is the final positioning with our mockup parts, good copies are being made. We've ensured that it clears the radiator fan and transmission cooler lines, and the A/C lines below will need a push and a shove out of the way but easy to do.

Here you can see the new slip fit crank pulley that will provide dedicated belt drive to the supercharger and nothing but the supercharger. An OEM quality tensioner keeps the belt tight and the belt will be an 8-rib which is wider than the 6-rib factory accessory belt which other companies would likely attempt to reuse, we've big fans of dedicated drive systems on the Overkill superchargers, and there's room to go further if ever needed.

Here's one item, this bracket to mount the factory airbox sticks out like an unwanted tree branch over your driveway. Our Cobra head elbow just touches it and over time it may rub a hole in the silicone if the edges aren't protected. While some won't want to cut it, which I fully understand, we try extremely hard to never require cutting/drilling/permanent mods to the vehicle, it is a good idea to cut this bracket off.

More to come!
Old 01-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #24
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

looking good, I would cut the tab off at the factory welds so it could be re-welded if the need arises to go back to stock, that would be at minimal cost
Old 01-24-2017, 08:16 PM   #25
monkeychops

daily drive tune?
track tune?
dragstrip tune?
boost options?

how much more power can the stock drivetrain parts take before it becomes a problem?
will 400 hp to the wheels blow out my 6 speed? is it just a clutch upgrade?

Last edited by monkeychops; 01-24-2017 at 08:16 PM. Reason: will 400 hp to the wheels blow out my 6 speed?
Old 01-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #26
sycraft
COTW 5/06/2013

hard to tell on the 16, on my 12 I needed a clutch upgrade and it was fine at 430 RWHP. Never broke an axle or anything, but I did have bushings done in the rear. Axle hop will snap a axle quick. Anything can be broken if abused. I daily drove mine and drove right to the track to.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:33 PM   #27
willoverkill

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeychops View Post
daily drive tune?
track tune?
dragstrip tune?
boost options?

how much more power can the stock drivetrain parts take before it becomes a problem?
will 400 hp to the wheels blow out my 6 speed? is it just a clutch upgrade?
I can do multiple tunes that'll fit onto the Autocal handheld or flash with HPTuners as you wish. The daily driving tune will feature nice safe settings with good fuel mileage expectations.

It'll be best to change pulleys for the strip, and we should have enough space with the mounting plates to allow access to the supercharger pulley and belt without disassembling anything else. The supercharger will have our modular pulley system, with quick changing pulleys.

My understanding is the 6th gen V6 has the Tremec TR3160 manual trans, which should be much better than the Aisin manual unit in the 5th gen Camaros. The Tremec goes behind some fairly stout factory vehicles. But someone with more knowledge on Tremecs should jump in with thoughts. A clutch upgrade is something you probably should prepare for. The 8-speed autos should be stout and just fine handling the power.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:56 PM   #28
monkeychops

ok....thanks
Ill be watching.
lets see those numbers. keep the pictures coming...please