Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Warning about oil catch cans + cold weather climates

Hey guys --

A friend of mine has a 2012 Camaro 2LS. She was almost to work when her engine started smoking and she immediately pulled over and shut the car off. Oil was coming out of the engine and there was a puddle of oil under the car.

The dealership is saying that the contents inside the oil catch can froze and caused the PCV system to build too much pressure, blowing her "top gaskets" (which I'm assuming is either the gasket to the PCV hose itself, or the valve cover gasket). In any case, they're charging her $250 to fix it which all in all doesn't sound too bad. Thankfully the engine didn't seize and no real damage was done aside from the blown gasket.

Just a warning for everyone with their oil catch cans and driving around in climates similar to or colder than Metro Detroit -- careful with the oil catch cans as they could freeze!

Again - I don't know what brand catch can she has nor do I know if it would make a difference, but I wanted to pass along the word of just something to keep in mind. They had only gone 3500 since the last oil change, so it was almost due for a change. I'm guessing the condensation in the oil was getting trapped in the oil catch can and that's what froze.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 10:55 AM   #2
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I found out I have to dump mine every one to two weeks. I went too long the first couple times this winter and it was full of water frozen solid. First time was about a month to a month and a half, second time was 3 weeks and both were full and frozen. I have the Elite and it is a PIA to unscrew a cold can and dump. The few drops of oil that I find in it besides all the water I think these are a waste of money and thinking I should have just left it alone(JMO). At least I am glad I didn't buy the RX can because it would make it really hard to drain because ice surely isn't going to flow out the tube on the bottom.

Dean.

Edit: I believe the reason for all the condensation in the system is due to the fact that this PCV system has a fresh side intake pulling air from the air box into the engine and bock out the so called dirty side these CC are connected to into the intake. Since the air is being circulated through the engine the CC is filtering out the vapor in which this time of the year happens to be more moisture than oil vapor. This is just my theory.

Last edited by skibik; 03-02-2014 at 11:05 AM.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #3
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Did your friend have an rx can?? The only time I've ever heard of this problem is when the check valve on the output line freezes. They have a straight through fitting to replace the one with the check valve for cold climate areas. As far as I know, the rx can is the only one with this check valve. I would think no other can could have this problem unless it very full, mostly with water and froze.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:06 AM   #4
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Turns out hers was a Megan Racing "universal" oil catch can --
http://www.frsport.com/Megan-Racing-...-_p_26635.html

I have an RX Catch Can myself, and my car sits outside in the driveway year round since my garage is full of my other two cars so I'm surprised I haven't had the same problem.

I'm guessing the oil level tube that's outside of the oil catch can is what is really susceptible to the cold air.

We live in metro Detroit so it's not as cold as some other states, but it's definitely been one of the coldest winters we've had.

What would you guys recommend for cold climates? Are there any that are better "insulated" than others? I was thinking the powdercoating on my RX catch can might help insulate it a little better? Or is the RX Catch can only painted?

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:17 AM   #5
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
My mike Norris can is holding up fine in my 2010 silverado. Been minus temps much of the winter. Last oil change pulled out more condensation than oil

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #6
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
Turns out hers was a Megan Racing "universal" oil catch can --
http://www.frsport.com/Megan-Racing-...-_p_26635.html

I have an RX Catch Can myself, and my car sits outside in the driveway year round since my garage is full of my other two cars so I'm surprised I haven't had the same problem.

I'm guessing the oil level tube that's outside of the oil catch can is what is really susceptible to the cold air.

We live in metro Detroit so it's not as cold as some other states, but it's definitely been one of the coldest winters we've had.

What would you guys recommend for cold climates? Are there any that are better "insulated" than others? I was thinking the powdercoating on my RX catch can might help insulate it a little better? Or is the RX Catch can only painted?
I am not sure what I would recommend. Just a note on Elite, on Friday I ran mine to the grocery store after work, then downtown for an errand and a 13 mile trip home and at -5F the can was about 2/3 full and mostly melted from the engine and the air circulating through it. Bad thing is I haven't found a lube or grease that has aided in being able to unscrew it with ease.

I think what I am going to do for winter is buy another hose(the one you have to cut to put this inline) and just run in normally for winter. These CC are for more spirited driving and I don't do enough of that through the winter months to matter and then just put the CC lines back on in the spring.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #7
14CV6
Tri-County Camaros

Drives: 2014 Camaro V6
Fortunately I live in Florida and don't have this issue at all!

Performance Mods: VMax Ported Throttle Body | Cold Air Inductions Intake | Borla Axle Back Exhaust | Hurst Short Throw Shifter w/Upgraded Hardware
Exterior Mods: Black Rear Emblem
Interior Mods:Short Shifter | 15% Tint Front and Rear
Coming Soon: Black SS Wheels | Blacked Out Side Markers |
14CV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:04 PM   #8
Tavo32

Drives: LFX LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14CV6 View Post
Fortunately I live in Florida and don't have this issue at all!

Houston, Texas
Old 03-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
Seems like oil splashing on hot exhaust manifolds in addition to making a big mess is a good way to set the car on fire.

You know, not to be too much of a smart guy but this is why I am so leery of any aftermarket parts.
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote