Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-09-2017, 05:50 PM   #15
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
We have always skipped an FPMC upgrade and went higher voltage with MSD or delete it all together and go dual pump.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #16
miller8907

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
We have always skipped an FPMC upgrade and went higher voltage with MSD or delete it all together and go dual pump.
I've been curious about this considering I'm not running the fpcm but do have a bap.
Old 04-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #17
Chukjagr

Drives: '15 SS 1LE
I may or may not be having an issue with my catch can on my AGP setup. The issue i'm having is that it hasn't caught any oil in 2000 miles, not drop, but it does come out of the breather some and i smell it in the car. Its the optional catch can with the kit and here is how I have it setup: the driver's side hose goes to the back of the driver's side valve cover. The 2 lower hoses go to the valley pan and the passenger side valve cover. the upper port is capped off. Any ideas? I'm not running any check valves in the lines and crankcase pressures haven't been an issue with my motor (yet?). Thanks.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #18
WatchThis

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS/RS
So I noticed about 4-6 drops of fresh oil under my Camaro since driving it a few days ago. It's in a very weird spot though, on the passenger side of the car towards the front by the passenger front tire area. Crawled underneath to see the frame rail is nice and shiny with oil and enough at a few different areas to form drops. Popped the hood to see that the catch can is shiny with oil at the top and oil splatter on nearby hoses and the engine cover. The bottom fitting of the catch can isn't used but I'm pretty sure it's always been that way after looking at older pictures of the engine bay after the install. I've attached some pictures below but I'm not really sure what the issue is or how to go about fixing it. Brand new kit that was installed about a year and a half ago or so. Have had zero issues until now.

WatchThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #19
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchThis View Post
So I noticed about 4-6 drops of fresh oil under my Camaro since driving it a few days ago. It's in a very weird spot though, on the passenger side of the car towards the front by the passenger front tire area. Crawled underneath to see the frame rail is nice and shiny with oil and enough at a few different areas to form drops. Popped the hood to see that the catch can is shiny with oil at the top and oil splatter on nearby hoses and the engine cover. The bottom fitting of the catch can isn't used but I'm pretty sure it's always been that way after looking at older pictures of the engine bay after the install. I've attached some pictures below but I'm not really sure what the issue is or how to go about fixing it. Brand new kit that was installed about a year and a half ago or so. Have had zero issues until now.

What's up with the bottom hose barb on the can WITHOUT a hose??? Hmmm.....

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:11 PM   #20
WatchThis

Yeah I pointed that out in my post, it doesn't have a hose but looking back on old pics of the engine bay, it never did have a hose, looks like it was capped off though. Here is the picture I'm referring to to compare it with:

Old 04-17-2017, 06:17 PM   #21
Redlineviper

Drives: 2013 ZL1
When is the last time you drained the catch can?
Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #22
WatchThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineviper View Post
When is the last time you drained the catch can?
I've put maybe 1500-2000 miles on it since the kit was installed (spent a year overseas), haven't drained it yet.

Old 04-17-2017, 11:34 PM   #23
dreksnot

Quote:
Yeah I pointed that out in my post, it doesn't have a hose but looking back on old pics of the engine bay, it never did have a hose, looks like it was capped off though. Here is the picture I'm referring to to compare it with:
Not trying to be an ass, but that was my point. With that open port, you're losing vacuum though it when it's supposed to be negative pressure in the can, and blowing air out it when there's positive pressure in the can. So, the oil on the top, out the filter, is occurring when there should be negative pressure (pulling air from atmosphere through the filter into the can), and the oil that looks like it shot out the open port is when there's positive pressure in the can. Wouldn't hurt to remove the filter, clean it thoroughly because it will hold oil. Doing that occasionally would hinder the oil on the top of the can. Kinda of makes sense to me unless there's a check valve between the can and the intake manifold.

I've seen plenty of posts here that point out how the AGP 4-port single catch cans should be plumbed correctly. I don't recall seeing a post where one port is capped off, but then again, my attention span is limited, and I have the early AGP twin catch can installed.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
Old 04-17-2017, 11:39 PM   #24
dreksnot

Also, the catch cans on our cars ain't necessarily there to catch oil. They're there to prevent crank case pressure build-up that can blast your mains, and other nasty happenings.

In excess of 1,000WHP
Old 04-18-2017, 06:34 PM   #25
WatchThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
Not trying to be an ass, but that was my point. With that open port, you're losing vacuum though it when it's supposed to be negative pressure in the can, and blowing air out it when there's positive pressure in the can. So, the oil on the top, out the filter, is occurring when there should be negative pressure (pulling air from atmosphere through the filter into the can), and the oil that looks like it shot out the open port is when there's positive pressure in the can. Wouldn't hurt to remove the filter, clean it thoroughly because it will hold oil. Doing that occasionally would hinder the oil on the top of the can. Kinda of makes sense to me unless there's a check valve between the can and the intake manifold.

I've seen plenty of posts here that point out how the AGP 4-port single catch cans should be plumbed correctly. I don't recall seeing a post where one port is capped off, but then again, my attention span is limited, and I have the early AGP twin catch can installed.
Oh no, I picked up on that when you first posted and trust me, it was the first thing I noticed. The shiny silver obviously barb that has no hose on it. But if a hose just blew off that one end then 1)the hose should be attatched somewhere else which I can't find, 2) you can see pretty well in the latest picture that it was capped and not used after initial install about a year and a half ago and 3) it wouldn't make sense that the car would just now start dropping oil if that were the issue.

I could definitely be wrong though, I've been wrong plenty of times in the past which is why I posted here for the experts to help out

Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 AM   #26
hillshooter

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS commemorative
Quote:
Oh no, I picked up on that when you first posted and trust me, it was the first thing I noticed. The shiny silver obviously barb that has no hose on it. But if a hose just blew off that one end then 1)the hose should be attatched somewhere else which I can't find, 2) you can see pretty well in the latest picture that it was capped and not used after initial install about a year and a half ago and 3) it wouldn't make sense that the car would just now start dropping oil if that were the issue.

I could definitely be wrong though, I've been wrong plenty of times in the past which is why I posted here for the experts to help out

I think you have an issue and that issue blew the cap off. You are seeing too much pressure in the can. maybe the check valve between the intake tube and the catch can failed. seems like you have boost in your catch can to make a mess like that.
hillshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:54 PM   #27
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
You may need a new check valve in that line that goes to the intake manifold. Blow into it and make sure when the intake is pressurized, the boost can't blow into your catch can.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:55 PM   #28
Chukjagr

Drives: '15 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
You may need a new check valve in that line that goes to the intake manifold. Blow into it and make sure when the intake is pressurized, the boost can't blow into your catch can.
Hmmmm......can you list for us how the AGP catch can is supposed to be hooked up? I don't have a line going to the intake. The 3 lines I have go to each valve cover and the valley cover. I'm getting tired of smelling it.... Thanks.