Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-11-2018, 10:25 AM   #1
SergioSS

Drives: Summet white , Camaro 2SS 2013
Really want some electronic cutouts

I really want some electric cutouts I know a bit about , but now much so I need some info on them guys , I wanna install them behind the cats I think that’ll be the best place , also do electric cutouts actually give power ? And when you have them open does it close the rest of the exhaust ? And also what are some good priced cutouts I don’t wanna pay over 600.. lol arohnd 400 would be good.

2013 Camaro SS l99 Kooks Lt hfc, xpipe , flowmasters , Ported tb and tuned
SergioSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
Abelardoo_12

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible
Cut outs dont close the rest of the exhaust and you can get those around the 400 dollar range. Then there are the no weeds diverters that do close the rest of the exhaust and sound more aggressive than the cutouts but those are about $1,000. Power wise I can’t really answer your question, some people have reported gaining a bit and others loosing a bit, it all depends on your setup but for the most part they’re just used for sound.
Abelardoo_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
SergioSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelardoo_12 View Post
Cut outs dont close the rest of the exhaust and you can get those around the 400 dollar range. Then there are the no weeds diverters that do close the rest of the exhaust and sound more aggressive than the cutouts but those are about $1,000. Power wise I can’t really answer your question, some people have reported gaining a bit and others loosing a bit, it all depends on your setup but for the most part they’re just used for sound.
Ohh ok I read on that but wasn’t too sure , but do the cutouts still sound aggressive and loud ? Do you know any good brands ? And I could put those behind my cats right
Old 06-11-2018, 10:27 PM   #4
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
QTP is right in your price range and the kit is made just for the Camaro. If you want to save some money you can get weld on ones if you want to do the fab yourself.

https://www.phastekperformance.com/Q...out-500110.htm
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #5
Abelardoo_12

Drives: 2011 camaro ss convertible
Like he said, qtp are the most popular ive seen around the forum and they seem to work good for them. Yes you can put them behind the cats and even though they are not as loud as the diverters they will still be really loud and aggressive.
Abelardoo_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:41 PM   #6
SergioSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelardoo_12 View Post
Like he said, qtp are the most popular ive seen around the forum and they seem to work good for them. Yes you can put them behind the cats and even though they are not as loud as the diverters they will still be really loud and aggressive.
Oh ok thanks man , and yeah I seen the oval qtp on phasket performance but I Also found the complete electric exhaust cutout on summit racing and I like the design of these a little better .

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-670112-2
Old 06-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #7
SergioSS

I also found these , they look good quality .

https://www.jegs.com/i/Granatelli/46..._BwE#reviewTab
Old 06-12-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
I have QTP Cutouts right after where the cats "should" be. On my setup i gain 10rwhp with them open on the dyno. They sound wicked and definitely turn heads!.

Some of the cons. They are a lot of work to keep them running correctly. You must lube the flanges constantly. carbon build up with start causing leaks cause the valve won't seal. You then have the open too much close too much part with the manual setting, this could lead to motor failure. Ive had to replace 3 flanges and 2 motors so far in the last 3 years.

I absolutely love the sound, but sometimes i don't think its worth the hassle of the constant exhaust leaks
Old 06-12-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
Talladega

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioSS View Post
I also found these , they look good quality .

https://www.jegs.com/i/Granatelli/46..._BwE#reviewTab
I don't think you will be able to run these on the Camaro. Looking at it it basically consists of a "Y" pipe there the cutout mounts. I don't think you will find a straight piece of exhaust pipe to replace with the "Y" until way farther back on the exhaust. The QTP ones mount on the "S" shaped pipe right past the cats and create a direct line of flow out.
Talladega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
If you can swing it, DO get the NOWEEDS. You’ll save yourself a great deal of hassle and if you go with anything else you’re going to wind up spending $1000 anyway.

NOWEEDS are easy to install, you can do it yourself even if you’re a level three shade tree mechanic. They’re 100% reliable. No leaks, and completely diverts exahuast. They come with actual turndowns already in place. They open and close faster than the other brands. Push and forget button actuate vs no push and hold.

They will add marginal power like most, but the truth of the matter is..cutouts (diverters) simply sound like you’ve got one bad ass motherfu€King monster....especially if you’re cammed up. Then you can close them and be nice to your neighbors or just have a nice quiet ride so you can have a conversation with your passenger or hear the stereo...cause brother I’ll tell you this...when they’re open...you can’t hear $hit else.
SquawkVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:55 PM   #11
SergioSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
I have QTP Cutouts right after where the cats "should" be. On my setup i gain 10rwhp with them open on the dyno. They sound wicked and definitely turn heads!.

Some of the cons. They are a lot of work to keep them running correctly. You must lube the flanges constantly. carbon build up with start causing leaks cause the valve won't seal. You then have the open too much close too much part with the manual setting, this could lead to motor failure. Ive had to replace 3 flanges and 2 motors so far in the last 3 years.

I absolutely love the sound, but sometimes i don't think its worth the hassle of the constant exhaust leaks

Do you have any pictures of your setup ? And so you think it wouldn’t really be worth getting them , and yeah I would really love to have the sound once in a while and lube then ?
Old 06-12-2018, 01:58 PM   #12
SergioSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkVFR View Post
If you can swing it, DO get the NOWEEDS. You’ll save yourself a great deal of hassle and if you go with anything else you’re going to wind up spending $1000 anyway.

NOWEEDS are easy to install, you can do it yourself even if you’re a level three shade tree mechanic. They’re 100% reliable. No leaks, and completely diverts exahuast. They come with actual turndowns already in place. They open and close faster than the other brands. Push and forget button actuate vs no push and hold.

They will add marginal power like most, but the truth of the matter is..cutouts (diverters) simply sound like you’ve got one bad ass motherfu€King monster....especially if you’re cammed up. Then you can close them and be nice to your neighbors or just have a nice quiet ride so you can have a conversation with your passenger or hear the stereo...cause brother I’ll tell you this...when they’re open...you can’t hear $hit else.
So with the noweeds the advantage is it will not leak , yeah I’d rather get the noweeds diverters but I just don’t want to spend 1000 on them which is actually pretty pricey...
Old 06-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #13
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioSS View Post
So with the noweeds the advantage is it will not leak , yeah I’d rather get the noweeds diverters but I just don’t want to spend 1000 on them which is actually pretty pricey...
This is one of those situations where “you get what you pay for” is more applicable than you realize. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2018, 03:20 PM   #14
SquawkVFR
Account Suspended

PS if you want a real cheap set up...I’ve got a complete set of used QTP cutouts with at least one burned out motor. I’ve got a handful of replacement parts including one brand new motor, and several other parts. One of them worked when I finally took them off. (I might have two new motors, I’ll check..they kept burning out all time). PM me for pictures and to discuss price.

EDIT. Better yet. Check your inbox!

Last edited by SquawkVFR; 06-12-2018 at 04:16 PM.