Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-21-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
Zackety93

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 6-speed manual
'10 Camaro Exhaust : Final Decision?

I guess it's time I buckle down and decide on how much money I want to spend. I know I've made similar posts, but i'm just wanting to be sure.

I've decided in my head on the Borla ATAK catback system, but i'm wondering if its worth the $1300 its gonna cost me? I want something that is loud at WOT and mid-high rpm's, but then a quieter rumble at low rpm's/idle. (as I do not want to wake my neighbors when I come in from work at midnight)

Suggestions? Opinions? Is the Borla worth the price? What are more cost efficient options that fit my criteria? Is a muffler delete too loud?
(I live in a smaller city in Tennessee, so the cops aren't TOO bad about loud exhaust here)

Anything is appreciated.

Zackety93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:50 AM   #2
H4rm0n1'c

Drives: 10 camaro
never go muffler deleted way in your situation, it's too loud

I prefer to have cutout with any brand of catbacks that not so much loud

this is my opinion may you accept it or not

I wish you the best

H4rm0n1'c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
If you are looking for a deep rumble, the ATAK would not be the first system that comes to mind. It has volume but the tone isn't particularly deep. Have you looked at the Retro Chambered cat back? It is an aggressive system like the ATAK but has a much deeper muscle car tone without any rasp or drone. It will also save you a few hundred dollars.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:40 AM   #4
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
if you have your mindset on borla i can give you my experience.

i put borla s type with my kooks headers. install was really easy. like 40 mins including taking off the old cat back without a lift just jack stands and a low pro jack. the connections are all easy to get on and the clamps they send are adequate. the mufflers use the stock hanger points and reuse the grommets. i love it! totally worth it. droped weight dropped the resonators and added a great sound tha wont piss off my neighbors but still give me grin when i hit the loud pedal. totally worth the price for me. the people at borla really are car guys.

i think atak sounds great... on stock manifolds and cats. it is a bit to much for me with headers. i choose the s type with a x pipe and put on in same day as headers. in my opinion you cant go wrong with borla. fit is perfect and they are high quality materials and craftsmenship. the only negative i can think of is that some of the edges were burred and i used a cheap deburring tool to get that fixed. otherwise its a 10 out of 10. the way it comes packaged will shock you...its done that well.

maryland speed and apex both carry borla products. i have used them both for goodies and would recommend them to anyone looking for parts. I see chase from apex already weighed in with his opinion. thats what both those vendors are good for honest advice as well as superb costumer service. if you have your heart set on borla and the price is a little scary maybe you can wait till the next big sale.
good luck with your decision
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #5
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by H4rm0n1'c View Post
never go muffler deleted way in your situation, it's too loud

I prefer to have cutout with any brand of catbacks that not so much loud

this is my opinion may you accept it or not

I wish you the best
What? To loud Thats not even close to being loud man! I wouldnt worry about ANY catback being to loud with the stock manifolds and cats. Nothing you do past that is going to make this car loud at idle. Even with headers and no cats, the only time this car is loud at idle is when its cold with long tubes. If your cammed then thats another story.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
H4rm0n1'c

Drives: 10 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad70supreme View Post
What? To loud Thats not even close to being loud man! I wouldnt worry about ANY catback being to loud with the stock manifolds and cats. Nothing you do past that is going to make this car loud at idle. Even with headers and no cats, the only time this car is loud at idle is when its cold with long tubes. If your cammed then thats another story.
hummmm, then maybe when it's cammed only because I didn't try it beffor it gets cammed

I tried it for a half day and return it fastly lol, I can't even warm it up at the garage

H4rm0n1'c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackety93 View Post
I guess it's time I buckle down and decide on how much money I want to spend. I know I've made similar posts, but i'm just wanting to be sure.

I've decided in my head on the Borla ATAK catback system, but i'm wondering if its worth the $1300 its gonna cost me? I want something that is loud at WOT and mid-high rpm's, but then a quieter rumble at low rpm's/idle. (as I do not want to wake my neighbors when I come in from work at midnight)

Suggestions? Opinions? Is the Borla worth the price? What are more cost efficient options that fit my criteria? Is a muffler delete too loud?
(I live in a smaller city in Tennessee, so the cops aren't TOO bad about loud exhaust here)

Anything is appreciated.

If you don't want to wake the neighbors I'd avoid Borla Atak for sure. Check out the Solo Performance, Stainless Works or MBRP catbacks. They have good volume especially at WOT but they never get over the top loud and you can easly creep at low speeds and not wake the neighborhood assuming you don't add headers. They'll all save you a few bucks too.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
inferno camaro

Drives: 2010 camaro pace car, 2008 cts bl,
Does this have headers on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
If you are looking for a deep rumble, the ATAK would not be the first system that comes to mind. It has volume but the tone isn't particularly deep. Have you looked at the Retro Chambered cat back? It is an aggressive system like the ATAK but has a much deeper muscle car tone without any rasp or drone. It will also save you a few hundred dollars.

Mods, 2r max cam, ls3 conv,kooks lt w/hf cats,kooks street sleeper cat back with magnaflow res x-pipe, roto fab cai, v-max TB, vigilante 3700 stall, 3.70 LPE, 442hp/392tq, Mike Norris Tune 11.71@116.24 1.63 60' m&h DR's
inferno camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
Stainless Works

Drives: Fast
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno camaro View Post
Pretty sure that is only the catback.

The Retro Chamber exhaust idles like a 69 SS but revs like something more exotic. We are a big fan of the sound!

Here is TRC-SS 's car. It has headers and cats if i recall correctly. Watch his first video!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...3&postcount=16

--Jason
Stainless Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno camaro View Post
That car is showroom stock except for the Retro Chambered cat back.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
a cat back only is not loud at all. in fact i could stand behind the car and you revving it without ears hurting. honestly i would just go with a muffler delete, unless you are adding headers! see how you feel with that, and go from there.

muffler delete is not loud at all! and you can delete the resonators also to pretty much be at cat back volume.

add headers or even a cam also to get to a loud sound!

hope you like drone also with bolra
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #12
rdblan2

Drives: 2SS RS
I like my Flowmaster American Thunder. Priced right as well.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
KSX

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I have a Borla ATAK Catback on mine, and at idle it won't wake up my neighbor's WOT it's loud as hell and I love it, good tone also.. Keep in mind if you decide to get headers with the ATAK system is going to be stupid freaking loud so be cautious if you decide to upgrade..
Old 01-21-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Zackety93

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 6-speed manual
Yeah that's what i've been told about the ATAK with headers. I like the ATAK... just SOO much money.. I'm slowly being pursuaded to do a muffler delete.
Zackety93 is offline   Reply With Quote