Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
GM_guy

Drives: 16 2LT Camaro, 15 Sierra CC 04 Yuk
TPMS Issue 2013 2LT

Not sure if this is the correct place but here goes.....

About two weeks ago the TPMS freaked out on me while driving. The TPMS light started flashing and the DIC read 'service TPMS'. I checked the tire pressure on the DIC and had showed no pressure (-) for the left rear. After a while the light stopped flashing and just stayed on then the system corrects itself and the light goes off and the sensor is reading pressure again.

The second time (on the same trip) the DIC showed it was the left front and went through much the same chain of events.

Took it to the dealership and they replaced both front and rear sensors and all was well for about 2 days. Now it goes through it's routine about 20 minutes into my wife's commute and usually corrects itself by the time she gets to work. On the way home it seems to be a bout a 50/50 chance of it happening at all.

I'm scheduled to take it back to the dealer ship on the 23rd. The two weeks is due to my schedule not theirs.
GM_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
AztecCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk SS Auto Vert
TPMS operate using radio waves to communicate with the computer. Many times the communication will be interrupted and the light will flash. Many things can cause this from your cell phone to external things. It's when the light comes on and stays solid that you have a problem. Flashing Light=no communication. Solid light =low pressure

I think it's in the owners manual, besides the mechanics at the dealership shoul know this info
AztecCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
GM_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztecCamaro View Post
TPMS operate using radio waves to communicate with the computer. Many times the communication will be interrupted and the light will flash. Many things can cause this from your cell phone to external things. It's when the light comes on and stays solid that you have a problem. Flashing Light=no communication. Solid light =low pressure

I think it's in the owners manual, besides the mechanics at the dealership shoul know this info
What's happening is not normal. The TPMS light flashes and the DIC reads 'service TPMS'. It doesn't indicate in anyway that a tire is low or to check a tire, it reads service the 'system'. After a while the flashing light goes to steady on (for 10 to 20 minutes) and then goes off. While the light is on or flashing either the front left or rear left tire shows (-) on the DIC. I have manually checked the tires several times since this started and all are in nromal range.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
AztecCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk SS Auto Vert
Flashing light= bad communication between the sensor and computer.

Just as I said before. The light should flash for 45-60 seconds then it should go through a reset cycle. After the reset cycle it should be working properly
AztecCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_guy View Post
What's happening is not normal. The TPMS light flashes and the DIC reads 'service TPMS'. It doesn't indicate in anyway that a tire is low or to check a tire, it reads service the 'system'. After a while the flashing light goes to steady on (for 10 to 20 minutes) and then goes off. While the light is on or flashing either the front left or rear left tire shows (-) on the DIC. I have manually checked the tires several times since this started and all are in nromal range.
GM_guy,

Happy to hear about the scheduled service visit. Please keep us updated and if additional assistance is needed, don't hesitate to let us know.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
GM_guy

It's at the dealership know and has been since yesterday. I'm driving a Sonic right now. Hopefully I'll hear something in the next few hours.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:05 AM   #7
notblk

Drives: '13 SS
I am having same issue. Found TSB PIE-0246A that is relevant to TPMS issue.

What was the resolution for this?
notblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
GM_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by notblk View Post
I am having same issue. Found TSB PIE-0246A that is relevant to TPMS issue.

What was the resolution for this?
They rotated the tires in a effort to determine if it's the sensors or the car. Th Idea is if the issue swithces to the right side of the car that it's probably the sensors. However, if the issue stays on the left side it's probably the car.

So far the issue has not surfaced again. I guess time will tell.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
notblk

My problem is that when the "Service Tire Pressure Monitor" appears in DIC, all 4 TPMS Zero out, and then for "no" reason, starts working normally.

Seems to be acting like there is RF interference - like the old TV jammers made in in HS electronic shop way back when.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
GM_guy

Well that was short lived. The service TPMS warning showed up again this morning. My wife was driving and said it popped up for a few seconds and went out before she could navigate to the TMS screen.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #11
GM_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM_guy View Post
They rotated the tires in a effort to determine if it's the sensors or the car. Th Idea is if the issue swithces to the right side of the car that it's probably the sensors. However, if the issue stays on the left side it's probably the car.

So far the issue has not surfaced again. I guess time will tell.
Don't know if anyone is following this or not but..... The problem is back and now it's more random. before it would happen at almost exactly 20 in to a trip. We were finally able to scroll through the computer and see the issue is on the left rear again. Since the dealership rotated the tires this means that the issue has to be on the car. It goes back to dealership on Monday.

Of all the things to have problems with the TPMS is the one I care nothing about and wish it wasn't even on the car.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
notblk

Happened again to me today. All 4 TPMS got zero's out (---) and the service TPM system message in the DIC.

I was in the middle of nowhere out on a joyride in the country. Light came on after some hard braking and cornering. I may have a bad TPMS on the LF. Details to follow.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #13
GM_guy

Today the dealership replaced the remote control door lock receiver based on document ID 2596323.

So far all is well.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
GM_guy

The problem is back again.