Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 07-08-2012, 12:40 AM   #29
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
lol I know my GT is not near as fast as a LS1 f-bod.

that wasn't the point. even the GT today is a DOHC 4v motor. And whether you want to believe or not the 4v ford modular motors are pretty stout. I like the LS series of engines a lot. Great small blocks. Ford's modular architecture has already proven itself.
If you remember correctly I said ford uped the game alot. I do know its a 4v DOHC motor, the modulars were actually pretty pathetic IMO as a motor goes until the past few years. It took ford so long to actually do somthing with theyre Modular setup. I owned a 2011 F-150 with a 5.0 I know they are good motors, I owned a 2007 F-150 with the 5.4. Wasnt thrilled with the motor at all BUT I never had any problems out of it and it'd climb a tree if I wanted it to, but I wouldnt expect any less from a ford truck. Big Ford Truck fan here. Im glad theyve pushed forward and FINALLY come out with somthing worth a damn in all honesty, makes for good rivalry/competition. I give them props for being inovative and persueing it, but it took them a LONG LONG time to do somthing with it. a SOHC modular motor i wouldnt own one by choice, but thats me. I want performance out of a car, great handleing, good ride, and considering I prefer single cam push rod motors, Ever sense I've gotten into cars I've been GM all the way... except for old school, I'd kill for a 69 GTO Judge, 69 Charger R/T, or a 70 Mach 1.... all im saying is for might finally be contending with the LS series... but look at how long it took to do so? Im not being a fan boy here, just saying "hey it took them a while" lol Im glad they are finally up here and got the head out of their arses for the most part. But if gm comes out with the next generation? by trends in history, is ford going to be playing catch up for a decade.. again?? or they gonna try to stay with them. I want to see them stay with GM, I want to see all these high powered muscle cars fighting it out on the street. I want to see love and appreciation for all cars amongst owners, but when the lights go green I want to see blood also! A full knock down drag out fight between camaro, mustang, challenger and any other muscle car they happens to be reborn. Not a push over race such as a LS1 fbod against a first generation mustang 4.6 all the way up til 2005 when the 4.6 finally made 300hp and wasnt just left in the dust instantly. Neck and Neck, different winner every time... just so I can drool! sorry for the preachy rant hah.
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:51 AM   #30
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
I am not talking production cars either.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:53 AM   #31
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by red70tvhs View Post
If you remember correctly I said ford uped the game alot. I do know its a 4v DOHC motor, the modulars were actually pretty pathetic IMO as a motor goes until the past few years. It took ford so long to actually do somthing with theyre Modular setup. I owned a 2011 F-150 with a 5.0 I know they are good motors, I owned a 2007 F-150 with the 5.4. Wasnt thrilled with the motor at all BUT I never had any problems out of it and it'd climb a tree if I wanted it to, but I wouldnt expect any less from a ford truck. Big Ford Truck fan here. Im glad theyve pushed forward and FINALLY come out with somthing worth a damn in all honesty, makes for good rivalry/competition. I give them props for being inovative and persueing it, but it took them a LONG LONG time to do somthing with it. a SOHC modular motor i wouldnt own one by choice, but thats me. I want performance out of a car, great handleing, good ride, and considering I prefer single cam push rod motors, Ever sense I've gotten into cars I've been GM all the way... except for old school, I'd kill for a 69 GTO Judge, 69 Charger R/T, or a 70 Mach 1.... all im saying is for might finally be contending with the LS series... but look at how long it took to do so? Im not being a fan boy here, just saying "hey it took them a while" lol Im glad they are finally up here and got the head out of their arses for the most part. But if gm comes out with the next generation? by trends in history, is ford going to be playing catch up for a decade.. again?? or they gonna try to stay with them. I want to see them stay with GM, I want to see all these high powered muscle cars fighting it out on the street. I want to see love and appreciation for all cars amongst owners, but when the lights go green I want to see blood also! A full knock down drag out fight between camaro, mustang, challenger and any other muscle car they happens to be reborn. Not a push over race such as a LS1 fbod against a first generation mustang 4.6 all the way up til 2005 when the 4.6 finally made 300hp and wasnt just left in the dust instantly. Neck and Neck, different winner every time... just so I can drool! sorry for the preachy rant hah.
The SOHC 2 valve lightning motors are monsters, and once you increase the boost and go e85 they are good for over 800 foot pounds of torque and many boosted SOHC 5.4L's are ending up in drag cars and street machines taking down 800whp Supra's. The early DOHC 4.6L "Teskid" blocks were cast in Italy and are good for over 1,500hp and are very sought after.

The only mod motor that sucked was their very first one (215hp) which gave them a bad rap as seen even to this day. Most of the DOHC mod motor blocks can be pushed past 1,500hp and are never replaced with stronger aftermarket units like LS owners have to do once they reach their limitations.

There are stock blocked, stock cammed, stock displacement mod motors running in the 7's....how many stock blocked, cammed, and displacment LS motors out there are in the 7's or even 8's?

And this was all done before the Ti-VCT coyote motor was on the market. Now days there are bone stock 5.0L's but with 14psi of boost pushing over 1,000hp.

Last edited by Truck Norris; 07-10-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Truck Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #32
Coyotekiller
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 AGM 2SS
The LS based motors in the camaros are very oldschool when compared to the new 4.6 and 5.0 motors in the mustangs. The pushrod motor of the LS series is really lacking in technology when you compare it to the dual overhead cam of the 5.0. But the advantage goes to the 6.2 ls3 because of its larger displacement.
Coyotekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #33
BlackieRay

Drives: 2002 WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
The LS based motors in the camaros are very oldschool when compared to the new 4.6 and 5.0 motors in the mustangs. The pushrod motor of the LS series is really lacking in technology when you compare it to the dual overhead cam of the 5.0. But the advantage goes to the 6.2 ls3 because of its larger displacement.

What's missing in the GM cars is a variable cam system. If you give the LSx series engines the same technology they kick the Ford's backside. There are variable cam systems (sliding variable cam systems or SVCS) that can be easily applied to the LS block, but GM has failed to embrace them.

I prefer the pushrod design to the DOHC engines because even with a full litre more displacement they are smaller, lighter, and more torquey. But to keep up with the DOHC more work on a stable high RPM valve train and a sliding variable cam is necessary.
BlackieRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #34
6point2

Drives: camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisco22 View Post
who cares about the cars, damn shes gorgeous.
YUP
Old 07-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #35
8cd03gro

Drives: 2005 STi corn fed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisco22 View Post
who cares about the cars, damn shes gorgeous.
+1. . . and she drives this. I know it's hard to see the car.

It runs bottom 9s @ 160mph. . . could a girl be any closer to perfect?
8cd03gro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 PM   #36
KungFuHamster

Drives: Black SS
you can order a poster with her in it here...

http://www.lethalperformance.com/201...-boss-302.html

i don't foresee many on here purchasing one though...
KungFuHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #37
101fng

Drives: 2009 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackieRay View Post
What's missing in the GM cars is a variable cam system. If you give the LSx series engines the same technology they kick the Ford's backside. There are variable cam systems (sliding variable cam systems or SVCS) that can be easily applied to the LS block, but GM has failed to embrace them.
even with SVCS or the like, the technology isn't near what's in the new 5.0's. Think about it, you can control intake valve timing independantly from exhaust timing... in REAL TIME. stock like idle and great torque down low with a wider LSA and a hellacious top end with a nice tight LSA. it's just not possible when all you have is one cam. sure, valve timing can be adjusted with something akin to SVCS, but those intake and exhaust valves are locked together (unless you know of an SVCS that gets around this, which i wouldn't mind seeing if you have a link handy). the one thing i dislike about the TiVCT is ford's monopoly on the technology. as soon as the 2011 GT's hit the market, tuners were playing around with "ghost cam idle" tunes, but ford put a quick stop to it. until, ford let's tuners go at it, the only way to achieve a cammed idle is with phaser lock-outs and aftermarket cams (and at over $1000 for a set of cams, i say EFF that), or a boss-like trac-key which would also be money...
101fng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #38
cbass

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101fng View Post
even with SVCS or the like, the technology isn't near what's in the new 5.0's. Think about it, you can control intake valve timing independantly from exhaust timing... in REAL TIME. stock like idle and great torque down low with a wider LSA and a hellacious top end with a nice tight LSA. it's just not possible when all you have is one cam. sure, valve timing can be adjusted with something akin to SVCS, but those intake and exhaust valves are locked together (unless you know of an SVCS that gets around this, which i wouldn't mind seeing if you have a link handy). the one thing i dislike about the TiVCT is ford's monopoly on the technology. as soon as the 2011 GT's hit the market, tuners were playing around with "ghost cam idle" tunes, but ford put a quick stop to it. until, ford let's tuners go at it, the only way to achieve a cammed idle is with phaser lock-outs and aftermarket cams (and at over $1000 for a set of cams, i say EFF that), or a boss-like trac-key which would also be money...
I have a lot of respect for the new coyote motor and the technology put in it, but what you call the antiqued LS3 is still the better motor even with nowhere near the technology as you claim.

More power through most of the rpm range with essentially the same peak hp output just at lower rpm.

More displacement.
More power throughout most of the powerband.
Same weight (motors not cars). Almost. I think the LS3 is a little lighter.
Almost identical fuel economy.

Pretty much identical results achieved by LG motorsports to have a different data point:

Last edited by cbass; 07-10-2012 at 10:09 PM.
cbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:59 AM   #39
red70tvhs
Red

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
+1. . . and she drives this. I know it's hard to see the car.

It runs bottom 9s @ 160mph. . . could a girl be any closer to perfect?
She Came to drive at Bristol's Thunder Valley at one of our street fight events.... I might have her confused for someone else, but I sware I dont think super hot blonde babes that drive 9 second 6spd Supras are THAT common
red70tvhs is offline   Reply With Quote