Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #1
Nerheim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
To Replace Rotor's+Brakes (New Mechanic)

Hello all,
Long time viewer of the forums, but finally decided to make an account. I have a question about my current brakes and rotors. First of all, I have a 2010 Camaro 1SS that requires a yearly safety inspection due to living in Hawaii. I’m relatively new at being a mechanic, but I fortunately do have access to a hobby shop with nearly all the tools required to perform most maintenance on vehicles besides engine overhauls. Last year when I went to get my safety inspection, the inspector said my brakes would need to be replaced in the next couple thousand miles. And as of the past couple months I have heard light squealing while braking. My question is, would I need to replace my rotors along with brake pads? And if so could this be done with a relatively new mechanic? I can buy the Hawk ceramic pads (daily driver) on amazon for about $260 which is what I was quoted on brake pads being installed at my local brake shop for the front axle ONLY! I have taken a few pictures of my rotor’s and pads if anyone can assist in telling me which way to go I would be greatly appreciative.

Front Driver

Front Passenger

Rear Driver

Rear Passenger

Last edited by Nerheim; 01-19-2015 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Uploaded Better Pictures
Nerheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:41 PM   #2
Tmick5jr
Todd

Drives: 2012 Camaro
Those pads probably have 70% life left in them. They are fine. also these brakes are prone to squealing. (i have brembos)
Tmick5jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Brake pads look great but I can only see 3 pictures and only 1 good shot of the pad. The first picture could be close but the angle is bad. The fronts always wear out before the rear under normal driving.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
If all the pads look like the 2nd pic, you're good for a while! Like mentioned they can be a little noisy.
Old 01-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Yea as stated, those pads look great. You have over half life on those still. That inspector has a thing or two to learn.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
Nerheim

Thank you all for the information! After looking again, I was able to take some better pictures and have them better organized. Since I can pretty much rule out the rotor's not needing replaced until their is damage in the inside of them, the current brake pads from what I see in the pictures shouldn't be enough to fail my safety inspection. I was told the rear's will wear out faster than the fronts, but in my case it appears to be the opposite.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerheim View Post
Thank you all for the information! After looking again, I was able to take some better pictures and have them better organized. Since I can pretty much rule out the rotor's not needing replaced until their is damage in the inside of them, the current brake pads from what I see in the pictures shouldn't be enough to fail my safety inspection. I was told the rear's will wear out faster than the fronts, but in my case it appears to be the opposite.
What shop was it? Jiffy lube, lex Brodie, or small repair shop? All mechanics knows front brakes typically wear out quicker than rears.

Did the shop fail you based "worn brakes"? There's got to be more to this inspection or this shop sounds dirty. So much BS and shops are passing illegal cars/trucks. There's a thread in forumshawaii.com showing dirty cars w/wo safety/reconstruction stickers.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:24 AM   #8
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
I hope the same person that told you about your brakes being low was the same person who told you the rear's wear out faster than the fronts. That is just a whole lot of bad information. Fronts wear faster than rears.

Do yourself a favor and hang around C5 for a while, you'll learn a lot and it will make it a lot harder for people to tell you things like that in the future, especially if your reading and posting here.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #9
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Welcome to the site!

As stated by others; your brakes have plenty of life in them.

Also, you can generally go 2 sets of pads per one set of rotors. This is not always the case so you will want to check the thickness and make that call on a case by case basis.

When it does come time to pick up pads, I encourage you to check pricing with one of the site sponsors. A lot of time we can offer you a better deal than you see online if you call, PM or email for pricing.

Best of luck with your new ride, happy modding and feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions!

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:20 PM   #10
Nerheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting808 View Post
What shop was it? Jiffy lube, lex Brodie, or small repair shop? All mechanics knows front brakes typically wear out quicker than rears.

Did the shop fail you based "worn brakes"? There's got to be more to this inspection or this shop sounds dirty. So much BS and shops are passing illegal cars/trucks. There's a thread in forumshawaii.com showing dirty cars w/wo safety/reconstruction stickers.
It was actually Servco auto in Wiapahu, I had to get the third brake light fixed their due to it going out. And while I was their I just requested for the safety check to be completed since it was already failed due to the brake light. I see so many cars and I always ask how is that even on the road? Meanwhile I'm driving a 2010 that had failed two safety checks already, while a 1989 corolla with donuts and broken windshield is flying down H1. I actually called lex's and they soured $270 for front pads only.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:14 PM   #11
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
It was actually Servco auto in Wiapahu, I had to get the third brake light fixed their due to it going out. And while I was their I just requested for the safety check to be completed since it was already failed due to the brake light. I see so many cars and I always ask how is that even on the road? Meanwhile I'm driving a 2010 that had failed two safety checks already, while a 1989 corolla with donuts and broken windshield is flying down H1. I actually called lex's and they soured $270 for front pads only.
Don't go to Servco Waipahu for Safety. Very conservative/cautious inspectors that may not be caught up with all the rule changes. Back in 2010 when I wanted to move my sticker to a remote mounted plate, I wanted to get a replacement. Service writer told me inspector wouldn't pass my car since majority of the tire wasn't inside the fender well. Car had over 500 miles and less than a year old. BS The tire needs to clear the top fender lip in a straight line to the ground. I got my new safety sticker from a Brake shop in Aiea. My car passed Reconstruction permit with the current CCW 20x11.5" wheels and 315/35 back then.

There are good shops and then there are shops that take care of their "friends" cars/trucks. The latter is getting fined and put on probation, especially now iPads and pictures are required during inspection and "sort-of" provide accountability. Welcome to Hawaii and it's still not as bad as CA and emission testing.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, mechanic, replacement, rotor