Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #323
jol13
 
Drives: Camaro 2SS RS
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Not teasing.


The quickest way to get a fist fight going within the Camaro community is to bring up names - and which names mean what........

We take every element concerning the Camaro very seriously.

I spend more time reading Camaro5 posts than I do posting, and have come across the various arguments about the SS and z/28 monikers. Since contrasting precedence has been set defining the top HP Camaro, I believe arguing over the correct use of the moniker is already too late, but I can understand a desire to avoid it since it inspires strong feelings among some enthusiast.


However, referring to any potential Camaro with increased performance characteristics as a “HP Edition” seems odd to me. Eventually, if the car is produced, various car periodicals and test sites will inevitably perform comparison tests between the Ford GT500, which has a respected history and story behind the moniker[1], and the Camaro HP Edition. The name seems too generic. I think it would be more compelling if GM selected a moniker with more history behind it.



GM has a long history with established branding; it doesn’t seem to make sense to dismiss leveraging established monikers. If I were working at GM, I would attempt to convince the company to select a different name, such as ZR1 or COPO, if the company preferred not to use z/28. It would also work out better for salesman selling cars to uniformed customers. IE., explain that the HP Edition is a high performance Camaro vs selling a Camaro Copo, ZR1/ etc, with the established history and tradition behind the names.


Regardless, Shakespeare wrote “What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet,” and I thinks it’s cool that GM may be producing a Camaro to compete with the GT 500. On the other hand Shakespeare also wrote “But he that filches from me my good name robs me of that which not enriches him, and makes me poor indeed.”


Anyway, love my Camaro. Thanks!

[1] I’ve owned a Camaro since I was 17 years, legal driving age in Jersey, and have owned 4 different Camaros over the past 16 years. I currently own a 2010 2SSRS.
jol13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #324
thePill
Account Suspended
 
Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kaiserslauthern, Germany
Posts: 1,268
Quote:
Originally Posted by micj82 View Post
wow great post thepill i fill the same way, as u can see lol but, i'm sure someone on this forum will have a bone to pick with u 2. you don't have blinders on like a lot of people on here you have some very good points in your post that make sense.
The majority (99.9%) of the moderators and members here are knowledgeable, respectful and really cool. I truly understand your frustration, I even went into a semi-depression shortly after this announcement but instead of ranting (which I almost did or was on the verge of doing), I took a nice drive, had some beers (not during the drive) and thought about the possible outcomes from reasonable decisions that I "GM" would make in this situation.

Like I said, I am a Ford fanatic, I needed to come to this site equipped with more than opinion before stepping into the lions den. The Mustang community has grown too vast, any anti-GM statement made on one of those site are quickly agreed to without any retort.. Here I can exercise my educated analysis, which is open to criticism and correction from all members... and that feedback provided usually broadens my perspective, or.. ultimately taken into consideration...

What fun is it to make a educated statement without having an educated response? That being said, keep your head high... I highly doubt my post will be deleted by the Moderators, their first love and responsibility is this website, even if they tell you its the Camaro...

PS: If you do own a Camaro and we met in real life... I have no choice but to battle you to the death.. It is in my DNA..

As Jean Girard said: "Because although today I am friendly. Tomorrow will be war!"
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #325
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by jol13 View Post
I spend more time reading Camaro5 posts than I do posting, and have come across the various arguments about the SS and z/28 monikers. Since contrasting precedence has been set defining the top HP Camaro, I believe arguing over the correct use of the moniker is already too late, but I can understand a desire to avoid it since it inspires strong feelings among some enthusiast.


However, referring to any potential Camaro with increased performance characteristics as a “HP Edition” seems odd to me. Eventually, if the car is produced, various car periodicals and test sites will inevitably perform comparison tests between the Ford GT500, which has a respected history and story behind the moniker[1], and the Camaro HP Edition. The name seems too generic. I think it would be more compelling if GM selected a moniker with more history behind it.



GM has a long history with established branding; it doesn’t seem to make sense to dismiss leveraging established monikers. If I were working at GM, I would attempt to convince the company to select a different name, such as ZR1 or COPO, if the company preferred not to use z/28. It would also work out better for salesman selling cars to uniformed customers. IE., explain that the HP Edition is a high performance Camaro vs selling a Camaro Copo, ZR1/ etc, with the established history and tradition behind the names.


Regardless, Shakespeare wrote “What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet,” and I thinks it’s cool that GM may be producing a Camaro to compete with the GT 500. On the other hand Shakespeare also wrote “But he that filches from me my good name robs me of that which not enriches him, and makes me poor indeed.”


Anyway, love my Camaro. Thanks!

[1] I’ve owned a Camaro since I was 17 years, legal driving age in Jersey, and have owned 4 different Camaros over the past 16 years. I currently own a 2010 2SSRS.

POST OF THE DAY! KUDOS TO YOU!!!
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/102mm TB/custom Volant CAI/Kooks 1 7/8" LTs and 3" H-pipe/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WB/ Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #326
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
The majority (99.9%) of the moderators and members here are knowledgeable, respectful and really cool. I truly understand your frustration, I even went into a semi-depression shortly after this announcement but instead of ranting (which I almost did or was on the verge of doing), I took a nice drive, had some beers (not during the drive) and thought about the possible outcomes from reasonable decisions that I "GM" would make in this situation.

Like I said, I am a Ford fanatic, I needed to come to this site equipped with more than opinion before stepping into the lions den. The Mustang community has grown too vast, any anti-GM statement made on one of those site are quickly agreed to without any retort.. Here I can exercise my educated analysis, which is open to criticism and correction from all members... and that feedback provided usually broadens my perspective, or.. ultimately taken into consideration...

What fun is it to make a educated statement without having an educated response? That being said, keep your head high... I highly doubt my post will be deleted by the Moderators, their first love and responsibility is this website, even if they tell you its the Camaro...

PS: If you do own a Camaro and we met in real life... I have no choice but to battle you to the death.. It is in my DNA..

As Jean Girard said: "Because although today I am friendly. Tomorrow will be war!"
I like your posts more and more

There are a few Mustang fanatics here whom I respect as much as my CAMARO brothers. It is because of mutual respect that there's an opportunity for us to all get along.
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/102mm TB/custom Volant CAI/Kooks 1 7/8" LTs and 3" H-pipe/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WB/ Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #327
micj82
 
micj82's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 white camaro ss
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: belleville mi
Posts: 63
lol i hear ya man cool post pill i might just have to buy me a 2012 cobra i have secretly drooled over them for years maybe all this is a sign hahaha! time for a change ?
micj82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #328
WadeWilson
How U Doin?
 
WadeWilson's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 CTS-V Coupe
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Californication
Posts: 24,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by micj82 View Post
sorry everyone i am trying to be nice but this news really messes my plans up. all i did was voice that i was upset with a few things and some people got offended on here and started firing off on me but i geuss thats ok right ?


Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
The majority (99.9%) of the moderators and members here are knowledgeable, respectful and really cool. I truly understand your frustration, I even went into a semi-depression shortly after this announcement but instead of ranting (which I almost did or was on the verge of doing), I took a nice drive, had some beers (not during the drive) and thought about the possible outcomes from reasonable decisions that I "GM" would make in this situation.

Like I said, I am a Ford fanatic, I needed to come to this site equipped with more than opinion before stepping into the lions den. The Mustang community has grown too vast, any anti-GM statement made on one of those site are quickly agreed to without any retort.. Here I can exercise my educated analysis, which is open to criticism and correction from all members... and that feedback provided usually broadens my perspective, or.. ultimately taken into consideration...

What fun is it to make a educated statement without having an educated response? That being said, keep your head high... I highly doubt my post will be deleted by the Moderators, their first love and responsibility is this website, even if they tell you its the Camaro...

PS: If you do own a Camaro and we met in real life... I have no choice but to battle you to the death.. It is in my DNA..

As Jean Girard said: "Because although today I am friendly. Tomorrow will be war!"
Good post sir. I love the line about battling to the death.
WadeWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:50 PM   #329
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by micj82 View Post
lol i hear ya man cool post pill i might just have to buy me a 2012 cobra i have secretly drooled over them for years maybe all this is a sign hahaha! time for a change ?
Between you and I: I've contemplated this too in the past, lol.
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/102mm TB/custom Volant CAI/Kooks 1 7/8" LTs and 3" H-pipe/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WB/ Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #330
micj82
 
micj82's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 white camaro ss
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: belleville mi
Posts: 63
lol sorry radz28 for all the back and forth i'm in a good better mood now no more goofy posts from me
micj82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #331
Tantalizer43

 
Tantalizer43's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamere94z28 View Post
I would wait on official press release from GM before we start to party... but that's just me.


While this news is exciting, I'm still awaiting word from GM.

Hopefully soon!
__________________
Tantalizer43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #332
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.
 
RLHMARINES's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 2,600
"EVERY ONE JUST CHILL THE F#@% OUT"

The Camaro we have all drooled over in the prototype test spy photos is still the SAME car that's coming out in January 2012.

It will still be a competitor to the GT500, nothings changed.

It will still be the baddest, highest hp in it's history Camaro from the factory when it debuts, nothings changed.

It will still be the "King Kong" of pony cars with a factory warranty that all of us in the community has been waiting for, nothings changed.

The ONLY thing that has changed so far is that we are not sure of the name Chevy will use, that's it.

I will still buy it whatever the name is because I am looking for the best performing Camaro regardless of the name it carries. I think Camaro SS Supercharged or Camaro Supercharged is just as fine as anything else.

It does not matter what GM calls it, but it does matter what the competition calls it while it's eating their lunch @ the track and on the street.
__________________
Swift....Silent....Deadly
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:00 PM   #333
thespymaster


 
thespymaster's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: G4 CLASSIFIED
Posts: 4,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by micj82 View Post
it really is a shame gm is so slow its unreal to me i guess i'm the only one ?
Off base, GM, like any car manufacturer is not going to reveal "ALL" the facts about the "HP" edition until production is near or at production as to thwart the competitors from gaining a competitive edge.

Camaro is on top for the first time in years, and GM is going to keep that way, whether "HP / Z28" moniker is used or not... And going to give that Stang community a spanking "BOWTIE" style when released.

My only wish for an option is "T-TOPS"
__________________
2014 C7 Stingray 3LT/Z51
2013 Camaro SS
2012 Camaro ZL1 - 850 HP
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:02 PM   #334
SummoneR
Paul
 
SummoneR's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NOR*CAL
Posts: 6,280
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
POST OF THE DAY! KUDOS TO YOU!!!


Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I like your posts more and more

There are a few Mustang fanatics here whom I respect as much as my CAMARO brothers. It is because of mutual respect that there's an opportunity for us to all get along.
__________________
SummoneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:09 PM   #335
Spooker_Doodles
Z28, Berlin Blue, BLK Int
 
Drives: 2003 Chevy S10
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Anchorage, Alaska
Posts: 109
Maybe they will call it the Camaro5 edition.
Spooker_Doodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #336
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.
 
RLHMARINES's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Savannah, Ga
Posts: 2,600
We all should remember that GM said that they would introduce new models of the 5th Gen. at a timely manner to keep interest in the Camaro high thru this models life span to keep sales up. We already know of the convertibles coming that are being produced starting this month and of the XM Edition along with the Synergy Editions that's coming out in the spring, so 6 months or so later we will have the so called "HP" edition. I say that GM is doing a great job with keeping their word.

This time line might possible be due to the alpha program being released earlier than we all suspect with regards to the Z/28's platform and arrival.
__________________
Swift....Silent....Deadly
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
2012 camaro hp edition, 2012 camaro hp model, 2012 camaro z28, 2012 chevy camaro z28, 2012 z28, 2013 camaro hp edition, 2013 camaro hp model, 2013 z28, camaro hp edition, camaro hp edition model, camaro hp model, camaro z28, camaro z28 hp, camaro z28 hp edition, chevy camaro hp edition, cobra killer, hp edition model, new camaro z28, new z28, sexy beast coming soon, z28 forum, z28 forums

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shno's House of Z Number 3 Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics 17748 12-12-2018 01:50 AM
Camaro Product Manager - interview Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 11 04-04-2012 07:10 PM
Camaro Production Numbers 1967 - 2002 PAUL SS General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 3 07-22-2010 08:12 AM
GM memo to dealers Moose 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions 41 02-04-2010 08:33 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.