Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-15-2015, 08:44 AM   #1
Blackchevyroarin

Drives: 2012 camaro 1ls 3.6 LFX
Racing Harness for stock equipment

Does anybody know if there is a racing harness that will bolt onto the stock seat equipment? I'm a husky fellow and freaking hate sliding around when I take turns.
Blackchevyroarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #2
Blackchevyroarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
Unfortunatly not, they will bolt directly into the side straps however to rear straps will require a bar or mount to be made sir to let the harnesses function correctly
Thanks for the response! I'm seeing some that hook onto the side straps and then hook onto the head rest posts. But that seems kind of sketchy to me.. I mean.. if I wrecked I feel like I would just destroy the seat lol. Or at least the head rest.
Old 01-15-2015, 09:43 AM   #3
Blackchevyroarin

Yea for sure! Thanks for the help!
Old 01-15-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
You could try using a separate non-slacking lap belt - old front seat belts work well for this. Routed over the existing 3-point belt, it'll help keep that one from loosening and will hold you down onto the seat cushion a little more firmly. It doesn't even have to be bolted to the floor if you can make it into a complete loop.

EDIT: this was the first attempt, tackwelded the tabs you bolt to the floor together.

I use that for road course track days, and have a second one available for passengers to use. Nobody has ever refused, and my last passenger - an instructor whose own ride is shown below - really liked the idea, well enough to specifically mention it to his newbie student (I am OK'ed to run solo but offer ride-alongs to instructors if they aren't busy, always open to learning something I could be doing better).

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 01-15-2015 at 01:02 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #5
Blackchevyroarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
You could try using a separate non-slacking lap belt - old front seat belts work well for this. Routed over the existing 3-point belt, it'll help keep that one from loosening and will hold you down onto the seat cushion a little more firmly. It doesn't even have to be bolted to the floor if you can make it into a complete loop.

I use that for road course track days, and have a second one available for passengers to use. Nobody has ever refused, and my last passenger - an instructor whose own ride is shown below - really liked the idea, well enough to specifically mention it to his newbie student (I am OK'ed to run solo but offer ride-alongs to instructors if they aren't busy, always open to learning something I could be doing better).

Norm
The pictures are not showing up for me. However, I've never thought of buying the old style to add to the current stock set up. Do you mean something like this??:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-sb-bk/overview/

Just so I am on the same page as you are.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #6
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Ignore the first picture anyway - it's not the latest version.

I used the longer 3-point front belts, cut off the attaching hardware, and did a fair amount of hand stitching (probably nylon thread, don't remember) to tie the two separate pieces together. From a 1979 Chevy Malibu, and they were replacement belts for that car. I won't be applying for any seamstress jobs, but so far they've held together.

The instructor's usual car has 'Carrera' in large script down both sides and drives past me like I'm on the brakes.

Norm
Attached Images

Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #7
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
I may not be correct, but I am always leary of true 5 point harness systems in a car that does not have a roll bar. Kind of seems like you are a sitting duck if the vehicle made it over onto the roof.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #8
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Have you looked at something like this? It claims to only use factory mounting points.http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/-...FQyPaQod3yUAKA
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote