Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-10-2015, 10:21 AM   #1
Blackchevyroarin

Drives: 2012 camaro 1ls 3.6 LFX
V6 wheel question

I'm so close to pulling the trigger on wheels! I'm stuck between a set of 19" and the lg motorsports replica wheels. The steelies I have now are about the same weight as the replica wheels. I know I will see a difference in handling, but will the bigger wheel affect negatively on the low end acceleration being a 20" rather than an 18"?
Blackchevyroarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:07 AM   #2
sbear

You'll have more rotational inertia due to the weight spread out over a larger diameter but I doubt it'll make a noticeable difference. You will have more unsprung weight since your tires will be larger.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Drives: 2011 1LT Synergy Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackchevyroarin View Post
I'm so close to pulling the trigger on wheels! I'm stuck between a set of 19" and the lg motorsports replica wheels. The steelies I have now are about the same weight as the replica wheels. I know I will see a difference in handling, but will the bigger wheel affect negatively on the low end acceleration being a 20" rather than an 18"?
I have a V6 also & have the 19 inch wheels , like the ride & gas mileage. But finding nice looking wheels in a 19 inch is impossible, so I moved up to 20 inch wheels I am jus keeping it squared 8.5 on all 4 wheels..
BIO-HAZARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #4
Blackchevyroarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIO-HAZARD View Post
I have a V6 also & have the 19 inch wheels , like the ride & gas mileage. But finding nice looking wheels in a 19 inch is impossible, so I moved up to 20 inch wheels I am jus keeping it squared 8.5 on all 4 wheels..
Turns out that the 19" that I was looking to buy just aren't deep enough. so I found a set of 20" Motegi MR127 wheels that have a perfectly deep convexity to them..buuuttttttt.. They weigh about 35-38 pounds each. That weight will make a highly noticeable dent in the low end acceleration wont it? If so I think I've made up my mind on the replica wheels.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Turns out that the 19" that I was looking to buy just aren't deep enough. so I found a set of 20" Motegi MR127 wheels that have a perfectly deep convexity to them..buuuttttttt.. They weigh about 35-38 pounds each. That weight will make a highly noticeable dent in the low end acceleration wont it? If so I think I've made up my mind on the replica wheels.
Just for curiosity is there a reason your going with lg reproductions? I have factory reproductions and the quality is amazing and less expensive than lg but not sure if they have all the same offsets or colors
Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
Blackchevyroarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard200593 View Post
Just for curiosity is there a reason your going with lg reproductions? I have factory reproductions and the quality is amazing and less expensive than lg but not sure if they have all the same offsets or colors

I only looked briefly, but I could not find any factory that where cheaper than the LG. If you could point me in the right direction for them that would be great! I need all of the help I can get. Thanks a lot!
Old 02-10-2015, 05:57 PM   #7
richard200593

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
I only looked briefly, but I could not find any factory that where cheaper than the LG. If you could point me in the right direction for them that would be great! I need all of the help I can get. Thanks a lot!
No problem at all that's what c5 is here for! Search the name factory reproductions on the forum it will give you the pricing and sizes your looking for. These aren't factory oem they are "fakes" such as lg but very good quality and customer service is amazing. I've had them on my car for over 6 months and have had people say they like more than the stock zl1 wheels. Any other specific questions you have feel free to ask.
Attached Images

Zl1 factory Reproduction wheels
Bmr 1.2/1.4 springs/Oracle plasma drl lights, footwell ambient lighting, 45th Gobo lights
*Audio:
Memphis pr600 amp/Fosgate 12" t0 sub/******** stealth box
richard200593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Quote:
Weight is a problem with driving conditions, you have to make a choie.

Make sure you have the right off set for your wheels ,

When I bought my new wheels I had to go with 38 mm off set.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:25 AM   #9
Blackchevyroarin

Quote:
Weight is a problem with driving conditions, you have to make a choie.

Make sure you have the right off set for your wheels ,

When I bought my new wheels I had to go with 38 mm off set.
The motegi wheels that I am looking at right now are +25 in the front and +28 in the rear. Car id guarantees the fitment but I guess they don't say how well it will fit. do you think I may have an issue with these offsets when I go to put them on?
Old 02-13-2015, 09:44 AM   #10
Blackchevyroarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard200593 View Post
No problem at all that's what c5 is here for! Search the name factory reproductions on the forum it will give you the pricing and sizes your looking for. These aren't factory oem they are "fakes" such as lg but very good quality and customer service is amazing. I've had them on my car for over 6 months and have had people say they like more than the stock zl1 wheels. Any other specific questions you have feel free to ask.

Do you think I could go 19X9.5 +35 squared with no issues in the front? I've seen a few people saying yes and a few saying know.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:48 AM   #11
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
One thing I believe you are overlooking is the price of the tires, as tires are expensive for 19's and 20's.

If you are truly concerned with performance, I'd be looking to stay with an 18" wheel...
Old 02-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #12
Blackchevyroarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
One thing I believe you are overlooking is the price of the tires, as tires are expensive for 19's and 20's.

If you are truly concerned with performance, I'd be looking to stay with an 18" wheel...
Thank you for pointing that out! I found wheels that I want that are much lighter than the steelies and in 19x9.5. just not sure if I could fit the +35 offset up front.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #13
BIO-HAZARD
INFECTED

Quote:
The motegi wheels that I am looking at right now are +25 in the front and +28 in the rear. Car id guarantees the fitment but I guess they don't say how well it will fit. do you think I may have an issue with these offsets when I go to put them on?
I'm not sure, when I did my wheels I had to have the guy help me . Tha wheels I got are made for the camaro with the right off set. All wheels will have different off sets do to style . Like concave or lips ..

I'm still learning to.

The easiest way I figured it out . I did a wheel & tire package deal to get it all right, they did the T p m s sensors mounted & balanced the wheels. And shipped them all for one price..

So in the end take my old wheels off & stick the new Wheels on ..Easy swap ..

I also did forget, I had to have new lug nuts also for new wheels , they came with them also

Stock lug nuts would work ..
Old 02-16-2015, 08:16 AM   #14
Blackchevyroarin

Quote:
I'm not sure, when I did my wheels I had to have the guy help me . Tha wheels I got are made for the camaro with the right off set. All wheels will have different off sets do to style . Like concave or lips ..

I'm still learning to.

The easiest way I figured it out . I did a wheel & tire package deal to get it all right, they did the T p m s sensors mounted & balanced the wheels. And shipped them all for one price..

So in the end take my old wheels off & stick the new Wheels on ..Easy swap ..

I also did forget, I had to have new lug nuts also for new wheels , they came with them also

Stock lug nuts would work ..

Thanks for your help! I really appreciate the input