Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #1
DBHWT

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Foam guns

Are all car soaps created equal when using a foam gun ? I know there are some high quality soaps out there, but do the regular priced stuff do the same job making suds when using the gun ?
DBHWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Note: there are foam guns designed to work with a standard garden hose as well as foam cannons that are designed to work on a pressure washer.

Just like having a newer HE rated wash machine. Find a soap designed for whichever style of foam device you have.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:09 PM   #3
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT

This dude is great, and really knows his stuff.

From personal experience - no, the soap really doesn't matter--it's more about the concentration of the soap. More soap = clingier, denser foam.

I used to use the expensive Chemical Guys stuff or something similar... Now I use Blue Coral Wash and Wax. Yes, the super cheap stuff from WalMart or NAPA or where ever. The "wax" in it really helps with helping stop water spots.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #4
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
I've tried many of the soaps at Wal Mart and the auto chains. They generally lack lubricity. The one that made the most suds that I tried was Duragloss 901. It has decent lubricity, but I've used better.

This can be found at the online detailing sites (Autogeek, Autopia, Detailed Image) cheaper when bought on one of the 25% off/free shipping sales.

It's sold as Duragloss 902 in the gallon size, and is the best deal.
Expect to have suds still in your driveway, or nearest drain, the next day after you wash your car.

I look for 3 things when rating a soap.

1) Lubricity
When wiping your car with a soap, you need high lubricity to reduce potential marring. The soap that has the highest lubricity I've used is Lusso Auto Bathe, but the price is ridiculous.

2) Cleaning Power
How well does a soap clean? Use it on your wheels to find out. If it can clean them, it will have no problem with your paint. For a non ph neutral soap, Carpro Reset, for a ph neutral soap, Ultima paint guard wash. Both of these soaps can/will dry your skin out, so wear nitrile gloves.

3) Clean Rinsing
Some soaps are difficult to rinse off, and some leave residue behind if they happen to dry in spots on the car.
Adams Car Shampoo is easily the best clean rinsing soap on the market, you can let it completely dry, and as long as the car isn't left in direct sunlight, it will still rinse off with ease.
Don't know what they put in it to make it do this? Unicorn tears?

Foam/suds look cool, but really serve no purpose when washing. Just add a couple ounces of Optimum No Rinse to any soap, and the foam will be greatly reduced, while the lubricity will be kicked up double.

Optimum Car Wash is what I use. It performs very well in all 3 of the things I look for in a soap, and when on sale, I get it for $22.50/gallon shipped free. Hard to beat for a really high quality soap.

One other thing to add is the wash mitt/pad. Microfiber Madness Incredimitt/Incredipad. These are super safe on your paint and extremely durable. I got 300 uses from my first one before it needed replacing.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 04-08-2019 at 11:48 AM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 12:35 PM   #5
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
I love your posts, Joe. I know we don't always agree, but I gotta give it to you for knowing the products!
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef-beavis View Post
I love your posts, Joe. I know we don't always agree, but I gotta give it to you for knowing the products!
Sorry...…. I'm hard headed sometimes!
I like your posts too!

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.
Old 04-08-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
DBHWT

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE
Joe, Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions. !!! It's refreshing to have forum members helping.
DBHWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBHWT View Post
Joe, Thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions. !!! It's refreshing to have forum members helping.
I'm glad it helped you.

Different people have different things they like, so your priorities in a soap may differ from mine.
Just whatever you do, don't buy Lusso Auto Bathe! If they wash cars in heaven this is exactly what they use, and it's priced like it too. $65 for a 1/2 gallon!!!

Optimum is hard to beat. When you catch it on sale for $22.50, you'll get
32 washes if you use 2oz in your foaming device, and 2oz in your bucket. About 70 cents per wash.
I've noticed though when I walk past the detailing stuff at Wal Mart, they do have a lot of new soaps I haven't tried, so there is the possibility that one of them is as good as Optimum and a better value cost wise.

But based upon my experience with many of them in past years, I'm reluctant to try them. I have tried the Megs Gold Class (Smells like one of those pink things they put in a urinal in the men's room), Megs Ultimate, Mothers, Armor All, Rain X, and Blue Coral.
I liked the Megs Ultimate, but it costs more than Optimum and doesn't do anything better for the extra money.

Many people like Chemical Guys soaps, but they are expensive, and CG tends to hype up their stuff so much, it kind of turns me off. Does a company really need 17 different types of car shampoo?

Another shampoo I didn't mention, but is without a doubt, the best "wash & protect at the same time" soap is Carpro Hydrofoam. All you have to do is wash your car with it, and it provides protection for about 3 months or possibly longer depending upon the weather conditions in your area. I'm going to wash my car weekly anyway, so why not apply protection at the same time? I've had bird bombs sit on the paint while I'm at work in the summer sun @ 95*F, and no etching in the paint. A phenomenal product.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 04-08-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #9
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
any recommendations for Foam Guns? Mine is going on 10 years and showing it's age a little. Anyone have recommendations while we are on this subject? Foam King, Torq CG, Adams... all run about the same price but any experience would be helpful
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post

One other thing to add is the wash mitt/pad. Microfiber Madness Incredimitt/Incredipad. These are super safe on your paint and extremely durable. I got 300 uses from my first one before it needed replacing.
What do you recommend to dry your car with?
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
What do you recommend to dry your car with?
Dry most of the car with water using this process.....see attached video..... It removes most all the water. Then you can use a leaf blower or other type of compressed air, and a microfiber drying towel. Lots of good towels on the market. You can also use a detail spray. I like Ultima Waterless Wash Plus, inexpensive, and works great. Adams has the best smelling detail spray you can buy, and Kenotek Showroom Shine leaves an anti-static surface, so dust won't cling nearly as much.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 04-09-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:41 PM   #12
Level300

Drives: 2015 Black rs/ss/1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Dry most of the car with water using this process.....see attached video..... It removes most all the water. Then you can use a leaf blower or other type of compressed air, and a microfiber drying towel. Lots of good towels on the market. You can also use a detail spray. I like Ultima Waterless Wash Plus, inexpensive, and works great. Adams has the best smelling detail spray you can buy, and Kenotek Showroom Shine leaves an anti-static surface, so dust won't cling nearly as much.

Thanks Joe!
Level300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #13
Joe M 2012 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Level300 View Post
Thanks Joe!

Old 10-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #14
jokrz187

Drives: 2015 1SS
JOE, those are some great reviews.. Thank you for sharing some insight about this. you rock
Custom TSP Stage 2 Cam/GPI intake Ported Rod Mod /VARARAM CAI/Mishimoto Catch Can/1 LE front & rear sway bars/ engine cover/fuse box custom painted, strut tower brace, Texas Speed LT, Hi Flo Cats, Magnum Tru-X pipe, NGK Spark Plugs, PCM Spark Plug Wire, Painted Calipers, CF Spoiler w/wicker bill.
jokrz187 is offline   Reply With Quote