Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #1
TPNxl

Drives: 2011 Mazda RX-8
Supercharger parasitic loss?

Anyone know how to calculate the parasitic loss of a supercharger (the hp used to drive it), or a rough estimate given the size of the blower, RPM into the supercharger, efficiency curves, and the size of the engine? Alternatively, anybody know how much a stage 1 supercharger kit (ex. Overkill supercharger with Vortech V-3 head unit) draws?

The reason I ask is because I want to install an electric turbo (not the crap on eBay, a real one that's designed myself with a 10kW+ electric motor and 48V electric system), and I need to figure out how big I need to size the motor and batteries.

Thanks in advance!
TPNxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
co14camaro

Drives: 2014 Camaro
Are you thinking of installing an e-turbo with the Overkill supercharger or just by itself? Mechanical parasitic loss is not the same as electronic drag. eTurbos require a large amperage draw quickly while running. How are you planning on charging the 48v system? IMHO an effective eTurbo system will have to be designed from the ground up to integrate with all the electronic systems otherwise your going to be chasing gremlins the entire time. Would be much easier and cheaper in the end to go Overkill.
co14camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 05:51 PM   #3
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
An electronic turbo would only be good for low end anyway and you'd want another source of boost afterwards to take over, i.e. Mercedes Benz current straight 6 AMG motor.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 01:52 AM   #4
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Most superchargers can use 30-40HP just to turn it. The Hellcat engine's supercharger
takes 90HP total. They use a centrifical clutched pulley too.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:46 PM   #5
Athletics101

Drives: 5th Gen L99
Cleetus did it.
Single turbo- https://youtu.be/7a_J2X88fSE
Twin turbo- https://youtu.be/_yrxbcB4CwA
LSA conversion 2.5 upper 10% lower, L99 converted to LS3. TSP 229/244 cam, TSP LS3 ported and milled heads milled .015,Kooks LT’s no cats, Roto Fab, Borla arak cat back. 3200 stall,Forgestar F14 18’s and drag radials, pedders coil overs, BMR trailing arms & adjustable toe rods, mildly stripped Interior 685/613 on E 610/571 on 91
Athletics101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:27 PM   #6
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
I had no idea an electric turbo existed and that was pretty cool!
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 01:29 AM   #7
'10CamaroDude
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
I had no idea an electric turbo existed and that was pretty cool!
They have been around, but just not all that popular. There was one
many years ago, the something Knight, something or other.

New cars are already being made with electric assisted boost, till the
regular turbo spools up. "Twincharger" engines use both a supercharger, and
turbo. The supercharger provides boost till the turbo catches up, then the
SC is decoupled. They're just switching over to eletric ones.
'10CamaroDude is offline   Reply With Quote