Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California

Old 02-15-2019, 11:47 PM   #1
Ashn4it

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray LS3 M6 (SOLD)
New Mufflers installed, super quiet with long tubes and cats. A great option for CA

Old Today, 12:37 AM #42
Ashn4it

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray 1SS/RS LS3 M6
iTrader Rating: 0 reviews
I recently had new mufflers installed on my car and to me it’s the perfect low profile sound.

I had the full stainless works exhaust (long tube headers with hi flow cats and full 3 inch into their retro chambered catback. Perfect sound and loud as hell but unfortunately Cali laws forced me to change it up :(

With the new CA exhaust laws i just installed Magnaflow Street mufflers but only the mufflers, it’s full stainless works except for the new mufflers. Still have the long tubes with cats and full 3 inch pipe, CAI intake and Ported TB.

I’m very happy with the way it turned out, about 50% quiter easily.

Only loud at high rpms, I didn’t want to lose the power the long tube headers provide so I’m glad it sounds quiet enough without removing them. However without cats it may be a different story.

These mufflers are super quiet even with long tubes, I highly suggest them as they are the perfect low pro mufflers in CA.

The full catback comes with a 3rd mid muffler that mine doesn’t have I still have the stainless works x pipe. Still super quiet I can’t imagine with the 3rd muffler.

Don’t get rid of your long tube power, just install these!

Last edited by Ashn4it; 02-16-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Ashn4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:36 PM   #2
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashn4it View Post
Old Today, 12:37 AM #42
Ashn4it

Drives: 2012 Ashen Gray 1SS/RS LS3 M6
iTrader Rating: 0 reviews
I recently had new mufflers installed on my car and to me it’s the perfect low profile sound.

I had the full stainless works exhaust (long tube headers with hi flow cats and full 3 inch into their retro chambered catback. Perfect sound and loud as hell but unfortunately Cali laws forced me to change it up :(

With the new CA exhaust laws i just installed Magnaflow Street mufflers but only the mufflers, it’s full stainless works except for the new mufflers. Still have the long tubes with cats and full 3 inch pipe, CAI intake and Ported TB.

I’m very happy with the way it turned out, about 50% quiter easily.

Only loud at high rpms, I didn’t want to lose the power the long tube headers provide so I’m glad it sounds quiet enough without removing them. However without cats it may be a different story.

These mufflers are super quiet even with long tubes, I highly suggest them as they are the perfect low pro mufflers in CA.

The full catback comes with a 3rd mid muffler that mine doesn’t have I still have the stainless works x pipe. Still super quiet I can’t imagine with the 3rd muffler.

Don’t get rid of your long tube power, just install these!

whats the part# of the magnaflows

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
Nighthawk89

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2Ss M6
Im diggin it! But Stay tuned for my new exhaust setup..
Nighthawk89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #4
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Sounds like the 11” long mufflers from the axleback or street series catback? I have the 3” magnaflow competition Catback with 14” mufflers. They use those to tame the 3” pipes from droning to much. Could be those to?
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 12:09 PM   #5
Ashn4it

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Sounds like the 11” long mufflers from the axleback or street series catback? I have the 3” magnaflow competition Catback with 14” mufflers. They use those to tame the 3” pipes from droning to much. Could be those to?

You’re correct they are the mufflers from the Street series line.
Sounds deep but not loud at all, and the car feels more responsive and quick, which made me wonder as the new mufflers are heavier than the stainless works chambered straight pipes.

After searching I found some forum threads online where shops that removed the “chambered mufflers” from stainless works retro chambered exhaust systems picked up noticeable HP. Weird.

I still have the SW x pipe which I could replace with the Magnaflow one which is another muffler but for now the sound is just right to me.

Very happy with the current settup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1997 C5 LS1 Corvette (SOLD)
1985 C4 L98 Corvette (SOLD)
1967 Camaro RS/SS 383 sb (STOLEN)

Last edited by Ashn4it; 02-21-2019 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #6
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
I have the 3” magnaflow competition Catback with 14” mufflers. They use those to tame the 3” pipes from droning to much. Could be those to?

I actually called magnaflow a few years ago when i decided to go away from the MBRP mufflers and asked if i they sold the mufflers only from their 16483 system (the MBRP catback i purchased in 2011 is full 3" and came with the xpipe so it would be a waste of money to get the full 16483 system since i already had everything else)

Magnaflow's tech guy (i cant remember his name but he was cool as hell) told me that the mufflers they used in that system were part# 12229 for the satin finish or 14229 for the polished

on a stock manifold/stock cats car

with LT headers and hi flo cats

with LT headers and no cats (my car in summer of 2017)

with LT headers and no cats (cold start)

with LT headers, no cats + G6X3 cam

with LT headers, no cats + night fury cam TEST HIT!!!!

If you're staying with stock manifolds, they will not make much of a difference in sound. If you're gonna get LT headers, its a good sound

i ran those for about a year and a half before i switched to the magnaflow race mufflers im currently running

Bone Stock
Old 02-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #7
Ashn4it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
I actually called magnaflow a few years ago when i decided to go away from the MBRP mufflers and asked if i they sold the mufflers only from their 16483 system (the MBRP catback i purchased in 2011 is full 3" and came with the xpipe so it would be a waste of money to get the full 16483 system since i already had everything else)

Magnaflow's tech guy (i cant remember his name but he was cool as hell) told me that the mufflers they used in that system were part# 12229 for the satin finish or 14229 for the polished

on a stock manifold/stock cats car

with LT headers and hi flo cats

with LT headers and no cats (my car in summer of 2017)

with LT headers and no cats (cold start)

with LT headers, no cats + G6X3 cam

with LT headers, no cats + night fury cam TEST HIT!!!!

If you're staying with stock manifolds, they will not make much of a difference in sound. If you're gonna get LT headers, its a good sound

i ran those for about a year and a half before i switched to the magnaflow race mufflers im currently running

Thanks for the videos, I just checked my boxes the mufflers I installed were the #12229 mufflers
Old 02-21-2019, 03:20 PM   #8
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk89 View Post
Im diggin it! But Stay tuned for my new exhaust setup..
im more interested in seeing what your new induction setup is gonna do

Bone Stock
Old 02-21-2019, 06:57 PM   #9
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashn4it View Post
You’re correct they are the mufflers from the Street series line.
Sounds deep but not loud at all, and the car feels more responsive and quick, which made me wonder as the new mufflers are heavier than the stainless works chambered straight pipes.

After searching I found some forum threads online where shops that removed the “chambered mufflers” from stainless works retro chambered exhaust systems picked up noticeable HP. Weird.

I still have the SW x pipe which I could replace with the Magnaflow one which is another muffler but for now the sound is just right to me.

Very happy with the current settup!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool. I had a strange response after I took off the hiflow cats. I lost 11 peak hp and 10 tq from 2500 rpm on up. But below 2500 It feels like I gained tq and response. Drivability is like stock, nice and smooth in 1-2 shifts. I say that as I have a stage 1 cam that starts about 300 rpm higher then stock. Only other change at the cam swap was the 3” catback. I can only guess I lost tq with the 3” pipes, under 2500. Maybe to little back pressure (?)
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote