Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-07-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
StealthRT

Drives: 1992 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo
Smile Stock amp on a SS

Does anyone happen to have a picture or 2 of the stock amp in the trunk where all the wires are going in and out? I need to know which wires are going INTO the amp for the front left and right speakers. I know the color wires thats coming out for those speakers but i need to hook up a AUX from a laptop to the amp.

Any help would be awesome

David
StealthRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #2
Superfly1

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT #2197
Check out the two sticky threads at teh top of this section. They have a lot of good info on them. They helped me install my amp.
Superfly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:44 PM   #3
StealthRT

Yeah i checked that out but was unable to find what was input and output.

David
Old 12-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
StealthRT

Ok, i finally got around to installing the laptop into the car. Problem is that:

1) I get a whine when the engine is on or revs.
2) The sound volume is VERY VERY low. Normally i would have to turn down the radio to hear it at all and even then, its hard to hear it.

Now for some background. I hooked up the left audio from the headphone out of the laptop to the front-left speaker wire in the X3 amp harness. (Pin 7 and 14). When i hook up my ipod to the 3.5mm plug that goes into the laptop, it sounds fine. It's not loud but much louder than the laptops headset output. And yes, the volume control is allll the way up on laptop.

Now i know i can correct the whine noise with a noise filter group loop thing but i want to know why the laptops audio out is so low since its going INTO the amp. I figured that the amp would boost the signal coming from the laptop?

Any help would be great!

David
Old 12-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
StealthRT, yes an amplifier boosts signals, but i am pretty sure the amp in the camaro is setup to take high level inputs from the head unit, not low level inputs like most aftermarket amplifiers. Your computer isnt producing enough power.
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
StealthRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
StealthRT, yes an amplifier boosts signals, but i am pretty sure the amp in the camaro is setup to take high level inputs from the head unit, not low level inputs like most aftermarket amplifiers. Your computer isnt producing enough power.
Ah, ok. So all i would need to do is get a small amp and run that wire through it and to the same pair of speaker wires on the stock amp, correct? Or would i need to just splice into the speaker wire AFTER it comes out of the amp?

David
Old 12-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I wouldnt use another amp per say, i know some ground loop isolators have a built in gain that will help boost your signal.

I have a quick question, why are you trying to splice in directly to the amp for your laptop? In the camaro you either have an auxillary port (3.5mm) in the center console or you have a usb port which you can probably use a 3.5mm to usb cable. Then the factory head unit will give you proper boosting to the amplifier?
oachalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
StealthRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by oachalon View Post
I wouldnt use another amp per say, i know some ground loop isolators have a built in gain that will help boost your signal.

I have a quick question, why are you trying to splice in directly to the amp for your laptop? In the camaro you either have an auxillary port (3.5mm) in the center console or you have a usb port which you can probably use a 3.5mm to usb cable. Then the factory head unit will give you proper boosting to the amplifier?
Yeah i was thinking of doing that at first but the laptop is for navigation so i would need sound to come out of the speakers at all times without having to switch from AUX to FM. I can still listen to my music AND the GPS navigation.

David