Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #29
TheSteelRider

Drives: '15 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmike View Post
64GB partition (full drive), formatted FAT32, 32KB cluster size, works!

So it appears that the factory FAT32 format, with a cluster size that I did not make note of before reformatting, is incompatible, but reformatting with 32Kbytes per cluster works just fine.

Notes on Windows 7:

Windows 7 will only allow you to format drives larger than 32GB with NTFS,
so you need a 3rd party app to format them FAT32. I used fat32format, available here:
http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...at32format.htm

Also, if you go into the disk manager on windows 7, you will see that the option to delete the partition is greyed out. To delete it, you need to use DISKPART from the command line that comes with Windows 7, but I am not going to post instructions on how to do so, because this is a tool for advanced users and you can easily wipe out your hard drive if you don't know what you are doing. Advanced users can seek info on diskpart and figure it out pretty quickly. If you want to use the full drive you do not need this. You can take a drive with an NTFS format, run the fat32format program above, and reformat it to FAT32 without deleting the partition or volume.

Mike
I have a 64GB PNY and it wouldn't recognize it. Reformatted with that tool at the link provided and it works like a champ now. I have about 9,700 songs on the stick.
TheSteelRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 03:18 AM   #30
ZigZag

Drives: 2014 SS L99
I copied CDs to WMA loss less format and they play just fine through the usb interface on my 2014 SS with MyLink.
ZigZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #31
LiveWire195

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Hope this helps for you guys.

Anything larger than a 32 GB, you can only format to NTFS. NTFS Filesystem is not readable by the car. You must flash it to FAT32, and Windows 7/8/8.1 will not allow it to be flashed to it.

Step 1:
Download FAT32 - Guiformat
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1529

Step 2:
Add your music to the drive. I did Artist / Album / Song

Step 3: (Optional)
Download Fat Sorter
http://fenux.net/story/fatsorteroneohfour
- Point it to the Flash Drive, and Sort it.

*The reason the last step is optional is because when you copy files to the drive, FAT32 file systems just list the files as soon as they can read them. So if it reads Track 01, Track 03, Track 04, Track 05, and Track 02 (in that order); That is how it will read on the car. Drove me nuts with my OCD. Fat Sorter will keep them in sequential order, and everything nice and organized. If you dont care it lists them out of order, then skip this step
LiveWire195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:25 AM   #32
ORNGASM

Drives: 2013 2LT RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveWire195 View Post
Hope this helps for you guys.

Anything larger than a 32 GB, you can only format to NTFS. NTFS Filesystem is not readable by the car. You must flash it to FAT32, and Windows 7/8/8.1 will not allow it to be flashed to it.

Step 1:
Download FAT32 - Guiformat
http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1529

Step 2:
Add your music to the drive. I did Artist / Album / Song

Step 3: (Optional)
Download Fat Sorter
http://fenux.net/story/fatsorteroneohfour
- Point it to the Flash Drive, and Sort it.

*The reason the last step is optional is because when you copy files to the drive, FAT32 file systems just list the files as soon as they can read them. So if it reads Track 01, Track 03, Track 04, Track 05, and Track 02 (in that order); That is how it will read on the car. Drove me nuts with my OCD. Fat Sorter will keep them in sequential order, and everything nice and organized. If you dont care it lists them out of order, then skip this step
Livewire....I have the 32gb Sandisk, almost filled, and tried the Fat Sorter. It didn't really change anything for me and I was looking forward to it.

I have the Artists in separate folders and each contain their albums in sub folders. In Win7 it alphabetizes them fine, when I look at the drive on my computer. In my car it alphabetizes most of the Artists but then the most recently added are placed at the end and some others are placed randomly. It's always been this way...and I'm sort of used to it now...I'm wondering if maybe the car just cannot do it.

I thought Fat Sorter would have fixed it as you described, but it didn't work for me. The program ran it's course at sorting them just fine, but when I looked at the folders in my car afterwards....they were still as usual.

Any thoughts? It would be nice to have all folders stay alphabetized.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #33
DieHarder

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS - Crystal Red
All,

This thread has been very helpful for trying to get the USB music to work properly. I've been using a 64GB Low-profile drive myself for my music needs. By performing the formatting and modifying the ID tags to make sure everything is consistent, I have had success in getting my music to play. I do have an issue however when adding too many additional tracks at one time after getting into a state that works. I am not near the 10k song cap and only using around 12GB, but every time I add too much additional music (2+albums or artists), the car gets stuck trying to index and then saying no supported data found. I've found a system that kind of works, but is tedious. When i run up to this bad state, I remove recently added music, then take away additional tracks (a few albums or two). This usually brings the car back to indexing properly. I then add back in one album at a time, starting with albums that were previously "good" on the device, until adding the new stuff. Every time I add one, I go back to the car and let it index it. As you can imagine it gets very tedious. I also found that the limit to how much data to be added and running into the error tends to get smaller, the more I add albums. This worries me.

Anyone experience something similar or has some tricks up their sleeve as well?
DieHarder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compatibility, flash, usb