Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
Replacing an LLT Motor

So after getting a quote for $2500 from my local shop, I think I am going to attempt to replace my LLT motor myself. I have never done an engine swap before, but have a hoist and a stand I can use with a good amount of tools. Am I in over my head? I am somewhat mechanically inclined- was able to install the IPF Supercharger and Air Suspension by myself, but I literally don't know anything about swapping engines. I am obviously going to look at a ton of vids, but is there anything specific about replacing an LLT motor that I should look out for?

By the way if anyone knows where I can get my hands on a used or reman LLT please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
fradaj

Drives: RS
From what I hear the electronics may be your biggest challenge.
fradaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #3
Jayzmaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM #3678
LKQ probably has a motor. They are one of the largest automotive recyclers in the country. I deal with them quite a bit. Could also (if your inclined) look on Copart.com for a nice wrecked Camaro you could could recoup losses with the extra parts. Probably what I will do when and if this one ever goes. I have also seen guys working on going to the LFX motor in the LLT cars. Might want to go that route if these motors have issues.
Jayzmaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayzmaro10 View Post
LKQ probably has a motor. They are one of the largest automotive recyclers in the country. I deal with them quite a bit. Could also (if your inclined) look on Copart.com for a nice wrecked Camaro you could could recoup losses with the extra parts. Probably what I will do when and if this one ever goes. I have also seen guys working on going to the LFX motor in the LLT cars. Might want to go that route if these motors have issues.
Some have issues and others do not, some need chains others go over 100k without needing anything.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #5
Jayzmaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM #3678
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
Some have issues and others do not, some need chains others go over 100k without needing anything.
Yeah luck of the draw. I had mine go out at 17k for no pressure that was in 13 so hopefully this one is more solid. I have 20k on it so its faired better so far.
Jayzmaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote