Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-06-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Question Will this modification void my warranty?

Will This Mod Void My Warranty?
Added Aug 27, 2010, Under: General Automotive

This is a question we get asked often and is a major concern for many people as they start down the road of modifying their vehicle. Search the web and you will find plenty of answers from the internet “experts”, but as usual most of them totally incorrect. So, what is the correct answer?

Despite all the bad information out there, it is pretty cut and dry because there is federal law on the matter. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) regulates warranties and protects the consumer. This legislation was enacted in 1975 in response to widespread deceptive warranty practices in many industries. Here is how SEMA summarizes things:
The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker’s brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law’s protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided. The law states in relevant part: No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name… (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).
So in short, this means a service department or automotive manufacturer can not void your warranty simply because you have installed aftermarket parts or have modified your vehicle. They can, however, deny a warranty claim if they can prove the issue in question was a direct result of the installed part or modification. Unfortunately, plenty of people have stories of going to a dealership service department with a warranty issue and being denied because they have modified their vehicle. There are definitely shady service departments out there who will try to get over on their customers if they can, but this is illegal and it is up to the customer to know the law and stand up.

Here is an example of what can not be denied:

You install a supercharger in your vehicle and a month later your drivers side window stops working. The supercharger has no impact on your electric window motor, therefore, the repair should be covered.

Here is and example of what could be denied:

You install a supercharger in your vehicle and a month later your clutch is toast. The additional power created by a supercharger can easily overpower a stock clutch and lead to the repair not being covered under warranty.

So what do you do if you are illegally denied a warranty repair? According to the law, if the repair is over $25 you lawyer up and file a lawsuit in federal court. I know it may seem cheaper to just pay for the repair, but under the law the prevailing plaintiff may recover the costs of the suit including attorney fees.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Good post, very informational Thanks.
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #3
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
what Modification?? all i saw was a chick with a torch..
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #4
cnrad

Drives: a wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Lol he was explaining to people how modifications can void warranties, he wasn't asking if his mods voided warranties
cnrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:56 AM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:56 AM   #6
Edge.128

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
nice post!! hopefully this helps people out when deciding what to do with their car.

Edge.128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
lol thanks! We have a legit excuse to tell people to search lol =D. We should sticky this info somewhere though, seems like its a popular question, to the V8s and V6s
Old 10-07-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
Rwarchol

Drives: 2010 1LT SIM A6, 2005 GTO TR A4
Sticky!!! Maybe this will help cut back on the 40 threads a week asking.
Rwarchol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:22 PM   #9
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarchol View Post
No kidding! Sticky please??
Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #10
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarchol View Post
Agreed on the sticky... will probably cut it down to only 38 threads a week though...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Bumping this, because I can.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #12
BenningJ

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/RS LS3
STICKY!!!

Will the MRT axle-back void the warranty on my muffler bearings? But seriously, I will put my vote to sticky this thread as well.
| LS3 | CAI Inductions, Inc Intake | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | Dynatech 1.875" Long Tube Headers | Apex Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam | BTR 7.400" Push Rods |LS2 Dampener | Melling 10296 Oil Pump | IWIS Chain | BTR .660" Dual Valve Springs | BTR Trunion Upgrade Kit | Lethal Racing Tuned | Anvil Notch Spoiler | BMR Split Drop Springs | Eaton TrueTrac | GM 3.91 Gears | LPW Diff Cover | Rohana RF2 275/40 20x10F 315/35 20x11R | BMR Polyurethane Motor Mounts
BenningJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #13
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
STICKY IT
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:06 PM   #14
masterofpuppets
Pulling your strings

Drives: My girlfriend crazy with car talk
Quote: