Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
IlikeMyCamaro

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Downsizing wheels for Winter Tires

Hi all!

My 2010 2LT/RS is running the stock 20"s atm but I'm thinking of downsizing to some 17" rims for a winter tire setup and I wanted to know if a wheel of this spec:

Size: 17x7.5
Bolt Pattern: 5x120
Offset: +40mm
Hub Bore: 69.6mm

would be fine/fit on my camaro? I'm planning to run the same size wheels/tires for the winter.

Also if anyone could tell me what size tire would be best that would be extremely appreciated!
IlikeMyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:41 AM   #2
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
I went with 18x7.5", +40mm offset with 225/60 tires and they fit just fine; I suspect a 17" wheel would also fit with the same offset.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #3
W.E.G.
breaker of things

Drives: 2011 SS and 1988 Sport Coupe
I am curious as to why you feel the need to go to a tire with a taller sidewall (hence smaller wheel).

Not criticizing your decision to do what you propose.

Just trying to learn the reasoning that goes into it.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:20 AM   #4
IlikeMyCamaro

From the research I've done a bit through this forum, is it not better to downsize a wheel so you can get thicker tires which will help absorb the impact and make for a smoother ride? Correct me if I'm wrong. That and there's a great deal I found for the aforementioned rims.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:40 AM   #5
KillboyPowerhead

A taller sidewall will most certainly makes things more comfortable. A higher-profile tire will likely be cheaper too compared to a lower-profile, and since you're probably not driving your car that hard when it's real cold out you can get away with a "mushier" tire. Also, having a narrower tire is better for traction in snow if you drive in snow, so another reason to go with different (narrower) wheels.
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
Old 12-13-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
IlikeMyCamaro

If I run 17s and a higher-profile tire, do you think it'll affect my ride height a lot coming down from a 20" with low profile all seasons? I was looking at maybe pairing it with Blizzak DM-V2s?

Also, thanks for the comments y'all. I really appreciate the help.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #7
Foundryrat

Drives: 2014 camaro convertible rs
I would go with the 17 or 18 keep in mind you need to go with a higher sidewall to keep the speed correct on your gauge I think tire rack has a chart to tell you the size you need to achieve this
I personally like the 17 with a bigger side wall for winter
Foundryrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:40 AM   #8
KillboyPowerhead

Yes, the taller sidewall will squish more and so will reduce ride height slightly, although if you're wondering if you should go with 17" or 18" I would not even consider the difference in ride height between the two as it will be minimal; but I guess if you want max height you would go with 18".