Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-27-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
Sangila

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Black SS
Denting TSP headers

So this weekend I installed the Texas spees headers in my driveway and mannnn it was not fun at all, the fitment was tight.

I have having rubbing issues with the steering column even after a low profile bolt was installed. It actuall rubbs on the bolt head and on the opposing "threaded nut" side of the shaft aswell. the rubbing is not bad but enough to notice resistance.

Does anyone have a solution for this? My plan is to dent/dimple the header slightly but i do not want to go through the hassle of removing and re-installing the headers. Can i do this while its installed? If so, what is the best way?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Sangila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
You’d want to heat it when denting. I think u want to do that off the car. Mark the spot with a marker.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #3
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
I've done it before, and I'd definitely want to do it off the car. When I did it I heated it up real good and used a 2x4 on the tube and hit the 2x4 with a hammer. It looked like it was made that way, not some backyard fix, which it TOTALLY was!!!
Good luck!

Is there anyway you could grind/clearance the bolt enough to make it work?
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #4
EMTNLSS

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I need to do this to mine. It rubs when i'm doing hard right turns.

Current Mods: Catch Can | aFe Lowering Springs | GM 2nd Gen Splitter | Hotchkis Sway Bars | MRR FS02 Wheels | Flowmaster Exhaust | Dark Tail Lights | Diode Dynamics Sidemarkers | Roto Fab | Solar TB | PRAY Ported IM | BMR | TSP 1 7/8" Catted Headers | PRAY Tune

Upcoming Mods:
EMTNLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 03:52 PM   #5
AD17SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I had the same issue, only rub in hard right turns on the track. I also have swaintech white lightning coating on my headers so denting the header tube was not an option as this is 22mil ceramic coating. I was able to get a dremmel and grind down the "threaded nut" side of the shaft and now no more rubbing.
Taylor plug wires
Mishimoto oil cooler
Elite X2 catch can
AD17SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #6
Sangila

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD17SS1LE View Post
I had the same issue, only rub in hard right turns on the track. I also have swaintech white lightning coating on my headers so denting the header tube was not an option as this is 22mil ceramic coating. I was able to get a dremmel and grind down the "threaded nut" side of the shaft and now no more rubbing.
good to hear! I think this is what I will try. Sounds much easier than pounding my header lol what attachment did you use for the Dremel?
Old 01-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #7
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
We use a marker or a paint marker to make marks around the contact points. Remove the headers and pound them down. We usually use a large metal pipe/breaker bar and hit it with a 5lb sledge hammer. It works pretty good.

Did you install 2" TSP headers? We usually notice contact points by the steering shaft and another one near frame by the flange of the headers. On the passenger side they are usually okay but there is a wiring harness that should be relocated or heat shielded. We usually zip tie it up a bit higher and then put heat shield tape over the brake line that sits behind it.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:09 AM   #8
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
If you have a torch not a Home depot bottle to flux/soldier pipes.. and if the area is small I would heat the spot red hot and use a pry bar nothing sharp it will bend super easy. That's just me I work with metal a lot in my field mark it and take it off would work just as well.

Last time I saw these headers it was close to starter to.. If it was me I would get some room there to for heat issues hot starters no likey to crank..

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:19 AM   #9
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
We just used a dremel and ground the piece down enough to where it wasn't making contact anymore. Kind of a pain in the ass to do but worked without having to remove and dent the header.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #10
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
We just used a dremel and ground the piece down enough to where it wasn't making contact anymore. Kind of a pain in the ass to do but worked without having to remove and dent the header.

That works to!

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:11 PM   #11
AD17SS1LE

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangila View Post
good to hear! I think this is what I will try. Sounds much easier than pounding my header lol what attachment did you use for the Dremel?

I used carbide bits used for metal/wood. It is a little tight down there but much easier than taking headers off for sure
Attached Images

Taylor plug wires
Mishimoto oil cooler
Elite X2 catch can
AD17SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:57 PM   #12
Sangila

Thanks for the info! I have the cordless Dremel so it makes thing easier. I amazon primed the bits.. will update this weekend
Old 12-26-2022, 07:11 AM   #13
mikey522

Drives: 2018 camaro ss1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD17SS1LE View Post
can you email me how you did this?i have 2019 camaro 2ss with same issue
mikey522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 07:12 AM   #14
mikey522

Drives: 2018 camaro ss1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey522 View Post
can you email me how you did this?i have 2019 camaro 2ss with same issue
522mikey@gmail.com
mikey522 is offline   Reply With Quote