Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-01-2020, 10:26 PM   #1
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Electric Power Steering Serviceable by Dealer Only?

Is it true that if you replace your electric rack and pinion on the 13-15’s, that the dealer has to reprogram your power steering? Is there really no option for people to do this themselves? I’m assuming this is done through a GM MDI 2, yea? I’m just questioning the long term serviceability on these cars if only a dealership can perform certain repairs. Anyone else concerned with this?
Old 07-01-2020, 10:36 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Smaller shops can program it also as long as they bought the hardware and have a sub - but yes, it is via an MDI with an SPS programming subscription. I know some Snap On and Autel handhelds can also update modules via SDS also. So these shops have access if they paid the fee to GM.

I bought a Chinese clone Tech 2/GSD2 wifi/bluetooth MDI on amazon for $109. I can sub to GM's TDS for SPS programming for $40 per VIN @ 2 years. I haven't needed to program anything yet, but as a Tech2 clone w/CANDI module and GDS 2 software (what our cars use) it works great. Biggest issue is that GDS 2 only works on 32 bit Windows machines, so I used a virtual machine running Windows 7 32 bit on my Win10 laptop. Tech2 works on 64 bit fine, but our cars don't use it.

The point of all that is just saying you can buy your own Chinese hardware with hacked software and just buy a GM TDS subscription for programming if you are really worried. GM doesn't check what hardware/software you are running.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 07-01-2020 at 10:50 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:13 PM   #3
SS 310H55A

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
The point of all that is just saying you can buy your own Chinese hardware with hacked software and just buy a GM TDS subscription for programming if you are really worried. GM doesn't check what hardware/software you are running.
Thank you for the info. I just spent a bunch of time researching what you said further.

I believe I found an HDD advertised as MDI GDS2 Tech2Win and is applicable through 2020 vehicles with no activation for users. I’m assuming that would include all the SPS programming but the description doesn’t say.

I guess what bothers me is that GM seems to be trying to profit off of the ability for people to service their own cars. Want to replace your rack and pinion? Cool, subscribe to SPS programming. Want to diagnose your vehicle, subscribe to GDS2 diagnostics. I do all my own mechanical work, I don’t like relying on shops to work on my cars for me except for speciality stuff like a trans rebuild. 20-30+ years down the road, how feasible is it for GM to continue supporting programming and diagnostic abilities via subscription for a bunch of obsolete cars? I expect planned obsolescence from cell phones and computers, but now it feels like that concept is starting to make its way to cars as well.
Old 07-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Unfortunately there is none that come with SPS programming included. You can use the hardware you purchase and subscribe to the SPS, but there is no way to get it 'free', as everything is held on GM's servers. But this also ensures you are getting the latest official updates possible. Yes, there are tons of different ways to get it. Preloaded Hard Drive, Official looking GM MDI clone, or like the kind I got: VXDIAG VCX Nano

But yeah, like you said - it is worrying that they could essential just stop supporting the SPS programming in the future once they move to another standard or platform, or as a cost saving measure.

Not sure if you found this link yet, but it is the website order form for the SPS and other software suites. If you were to buy an Chinese clone you would only need the 'Vehicle Programming Software', which is the SPS for programming. I think $40 per VIN at 2 years isn't too bad, especially if you have a lot of modules to program. This would allow reprogramming MyLink units, keys, and of course any other module on the car such as a new BCM. I may use it in the future if I decide to add HUD, rear proximity sensor, or rear camera to my car. It also will show you just how crazy expensive some of the software and subs are if you purchase them outright.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions#

For me, the GDS2 software that comes with the Amazon units has proved invaluable for troubleshooting. It allows you to test and monitor every module on the car. I have a window issue and it allows me to roll up/down my windows from the laptop. Other things I have played with are holding specific RPM while checking sensors. I mean you can do anything - activate wipers, squirt washer fluid for enjoyment, reset steering angle, relearn HVAC blend doors, relearn and adapts for TCM on auto trans, activate ABS module for bleeding - anything with a module can be remotely activated and tested via the GDS2. Anything a $4000 Snap On handheld can do the GDS2 software can also do. It's powerful stuff - Especially for $110 and time to set it up.

Overall I suggest doing as much research as possible for what your needs are as there is a lot to learn here. I bought the VXDIAG VCX Nano because it best suited my needs and was inexpensive, but there is a bit of a headache to the setup. Some others are easier to set up and look like official GM badged units but cost more. Take your time if you decide to get into this and research as much as possible. Just remember that its not only the ability to program modules, but you also get a full diagnostic setup for any GM vehicle that supports Tech2 and GDS2.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #5
gunchamp

Drives: 15 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
Unfortunately there is none that come with SPS programming included. You can use the hardware you purchase and subscribe to the SPS, but there is no way to get it 'free', as everything is held on GM's servers. But this also ensures you are getting the latest official updates possible. Yes, there are tons of different ways to get it. Preloaded Hard Drive, Official looking GM MDI clone, or like the kind I got: VXDIAG VCX Nano

But yeah, like you said - it is worrying that they could essential just stop supporting the SPS programming in the future once they move to another standard or platform, or as a cost saving measure.

Not sure if you found this link yet, but it is the website order form for the SPS and other software suites. If you were to buy an Chinese clone you would only need the 'Vehicle Programming Software', which is the SPS for programming. I think $40 per VIN at 2 years isn't too bad, especially if you have a lot of modules to program. This would allow reprogramming MyLink units, keys, and of course any other module on the car such as a new BCM. I may use it in the future if I decide to add HUD, rear proximity sensor, or rear camera to my car. It also will show you just how crazy expensive some of the software and subs are if you purchase them outright.

https://www.acdelcotds.com/subscriptions#

For me, the GDS2 software that comes with the Amazon units has proved invaluable for troubleshooting. It allows you to test and monitor every module on the car. I have a window issue and it allows me to roll up/down my windows from the laptop. Other things I have played with are holding specific RPM while checking sensors. I mean you can do anything - activate wipers, squirt washer fluid for enjoyment, reset steering angle, relearn HVAC blend doors, relearn and adapts for TCM on auto trans, activate ABS module for bleeding - anything with a module can be remotely activated and tested via the GDS2. Anything a $4000 Snap On handheld can do the GDS2 software can also do. It's powerful stuff - Especially for $110 and time to set it up.

Overall I suggest doing as much research as possible for what your needs are as there is a lot to learn here. I bought the VXDIAG VCX Nano because it best suited my needs and was inexpensive, but there is a bit of a headache to the setup. Some others are easier to set up and look like official GM badged units but cost more. Take your time if you decide to get into this and research as much as possible. Just remember that its not only the ability to program modules, but you also get a full diagnostic setup for any GM vehicle that supports Tech2 and GDS2.
This is interesting. May have to take a look at this
15 Camaro SS- GPI max top end, ESS Vortech V3 9psi, ID 1050s, ZL1 pump, JMS bap, Long tubes, Corsa extreme, Circle D pro 5C, 391 rear, DSS carbon drive shaft, poly cradle bushings, tuned by Ted Jannetty and much much more
gunchamp is offline   Reply With Quote