Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 08-25-2021, 12:56 AM   #1
Dan82679

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Gen 7 camaro spy pictures

Just saw this article. What do you guys think?
https://carbuzz.com/news/chevrolet-p...ltimate-camaro
Dan82679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 01:29 AM   #2
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
We have a topicabout that here. It's definitely not Gen 7, it's either Chevy testing something for Gen 6 again (since they also took a Camaro to Nürburgring along the C8 Z06) or just an old prototype being transported to his final destination
Old 08-25-2021, 08:27 AM   #3
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
The wing is lower than the current 1LE. But it certainly does look like a Gen 6.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:01 AM   #4
FoundNemo

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Would be cool if a Z/28 did come out with the LT5 engine. I'd buy it in a hearbeat.
FoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:27 AM   #5
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoundNemo View Post
Would be cool if a Z/28 did come out with the LT5 engine. I'd buy it in a hearbeat.
I don't disagree, but I don't believe it'd ever happen, unfortunately...

After seeing the comment (from, I believe, one of the CT5-V Engineers) about how GM, essentially, won't fit an engine into a chassis they don't think will "handle" it (let's just say). Like that engineer said one of the reasons they didn't sick LT5 in there was because it couldn't handle the power It was some BS like that.

If I've got that somewhat right, I think I could find arguments on both sides of that thinking (I guess...). On one hand, you'd have the power to match the competition, on a better chassis than the competition, through a powertrain, overall, that I think is better than the competition. It should, therefore, make better use of the power, I suspect. On the flip-side, on street tires, LT5-Z28 would be no faster than the competition, because look at a lot of the times they are getting. It seems like average-person times, on no-prep-street-type-surfaces are really no faster because you need tires stickier than typical OEM-types to make any use of the additional power over, say, ZL1. Dodge seems to like to post absolute best times for some of their products, which come under optimal conditions driven by professional drivers (i.e. Demon 1320' times - maybe Red Eye times, too). Anyways - at ZL1-power levels and above, the kinds of tires OEMs will equip the cars with (minus the special-Demon) won't take more power, so why add it? I, personally - don't subscribe to that logic, but I'm nobody, and GM doesn't build a car to my specs.

My point is, I don't think LT5 was EVER going to go in ZL1, or any other 6th Gen Camaro. What a shame... So I had to make mine, lol. Sorry so long...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #6
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
The LT5 was ruled out mainly due to the fact that it wouldn't fit its wet sump height since a dry sump was not needed for this particular car fitted with the maximum sized rear 305 tires only along with the taller blower and its 760 hp from what was said at the BlackWing presser from a Cadillac rep.

https://cadillacsociety.com/2021/03/...lt5-v8-engine/

Quote:
In an interview with Cadillac Society Executive Editor Alex Luft, V-Series Blackwing Chief Engineer Mirza Grebovic provided some insight into the choice to use the LT4 rather than the LT5.

“When we initially started working on this project, obviously we were super excited to shove any engine in there and make as much power as possible,” Grebovic said. “But in the end what we have to balance is a driver’s cars.”

As it turns out, outfitting the Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing with the LT5 would result in a number of drivability issues, starting with visibility.

“So if you put the LT5 in the CT5, we ran into simple issues – you can’t see out of the car. In the ZR1, you can notice that it’s a dry sump system and it uses that shaker hood. We couldn’t put a shaker hood on the CT5,” Grebovic said. “You would have to make it so high that you can’t see outside the car, and we wouldn’t have met regulatory requirements for vision.”

The LT5 found in the Corvette ZR1 is also notable for its dry sump lubrication, which simply isn’t necessary in the CT5-V Blackwing. As Grebovic points out, the CT5-V Blackwing runs different tires than the ZR1, and thus won’t generate the sort of cornering forces that necessitate a dry-sump setup.

“Not doing a dry sump didn’t allow us to drop the engine as low, because the architecture is very different,” Grebovic adds.

Additionally, more power wouldn’t necessarily make the car any faster, given the modifications required to put the extra muscle to the ground.

“So yes, we considered the LT5, but aside of just engineering issues, let’s say this car did make 760 horsepower. We wouldn’t have the right chassis for it,” Grebovic said. “It would have been a powerful car, but it probably wouldn’t be any faster at the track or the quarter mile, because 305 [rear] tires with that much power would be very tough to manage.”
Old 08-25-2021, 11:31 AM   #7
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Thats just the old test mule thats been around a while, nothing new to see.
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 12:02 PM   #8
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Why would GM build another Camaro? All these guys on here do is talk down the prices of them. GM could build a 750 HP beast that handles like the ZLE and it could destroy the GT500 and RE and everything else and people here will be all "oh it isn't worth that much money" and "I got mine brand new for $40K OTD" and "you should talk them down" and "that price is way too high". With the mentality of the Camaro guys on here these days GM would not stand to make any money at all. Meanwhile you'll never hear the GT500 guys say their cars aren't worth whatever. Hell, those guys will straight up tell you that $10K over MSRP is a great deal and to jump on it right now. So not for nothing, if it were up to me at GM, I wouldn't put out anything other than what is already available. People don't appreciate Camaros and are not willing to pay a fair price even when the competition is charging thousands of dollars more for lesser performing lesser optioned cars.

FTR, putting the LT5 in the Camaro wuld likely mean an increase in MSRP of at least $10K. Not one of these people on here besides myself and a handful of others would be willing to pay that. It is not marketable at all. Otherwise we would have been done had a LT5 powered Camaro a long time ago. These people don't even wanna pay MSRP right now despite the fact that people are paying a higher MSRP for the damn GT350. So again, why would GM bother doing anything else when it isn't gonna bring them any money from this crop of buyers?
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 03:34 PM   #9
headgamez

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Why would GM build another Camaro? All these guys on here do is talk down the prices of them. GM could build a 750 HP beast that handles like the ZLE and it could destroy the GT500 and RE and everything else and people here will be all "oh it isn't worth that much money" and "I got mine brand new for $40K OTD" and "you should talk them down" and "that price is way too high". With the mentality of the Camaro guys on here these days GM would not stand to make any money at all. Meanwhile you'll never hear the GT500 guys say their cars aren't worth whatever. Hell, those guys will straight up tell you that $10K over MSRP is a great deal and to jump on it right now. So not for nothing, if it were up to me at GM, I wouldn't put out anything other than what is already available. People don't appreciate Camaros and are not willing to pay a fair price even when the competition is charging thousands of dollars more for lesser performing lesser optioned cars.

FTR, putting the LT5 in the Camaro wuld likely mean an increase in MSRP of at least $10K. Not one of these people on here besides myself and a handful of others would be willing to pay that. It is not marketable at all. Otherwise we would have been done had a LT5 powered Camaro a long time ago. These people don't even wanna pay MSRP right now despite the fact that people are paying a higher MSRP for the damn GT350. So again, why would GM bother doing anything else when it isn't gonna bring them any money from this crop of buyers?
Old 08-25-2021, 07:41 PM   #10
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:

If they put a LT5 in a ZL1 my car would be for sale in the morning. That power with a warranty would make me want to start working out again and get back into shape. LOL
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 08:45 PM   #11
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Quote:

This man speaks the truth!
Old 08-25-2021, 09:34 PM   #12
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
Exhaust pipes to small to be anything serious.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 09:54 PM   #13
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023...kwing-upgrade/

This makes alot of sense - very low cost swap to bump sales
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 08:37 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2023...kwing-upgrade/

This makes alot of sense - very low cost swap to bump sales
True. That doesn't make me flinch in any way though. Oh well. I'm perfectly happy with mine (couldn't really be more pleased, actually).

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote