Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #15
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
did you start hearing it after you shut the engine down? If so, it is the metal parts such as exhaust manifold, heat shields, cats, exhaust pipes, etc. that are making the ticking noise as they cool down. If you hear a slight ticking on top of the engine on either side, it is the injectors. Either way, nothing to worry about. But it the ticking gets louder with RPM, it is a valve tick...still not bad depending on the loudness of the tick. My bet is the quality of gas you put in has something to do with it.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #16
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
GOD you ought to hear the cams and chains on the V10 in an M5...damned thing sounds like a diesel at idle...I have been asked a few times actually. Couple the noise with the VANOS system, and it made my LS1 sound like it was running during a church service. My L92 in the Escalade is LOUD until warm...then she smooths out.

Take her in if she is too loud - better safe than walking.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 PM   #17
80Zedder
Cheif Pounderhard

Drives: 80camaro/Avalanche/srt8charger
drive the piss out of it, if its gonna fail, make it fail big and get a new motor!

you can come pick it up from me at gate 5, i require another case of Becks.
80Zedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:33 PM   #18
ericmuscle

Drives: 2010 chevy
its not extremely loud. the ticking sounds like when you shut the motor off and you hear the exhaust and piping pop as it cools, thats what it sounds like but it makes this noise while the engine is running. is it possible? thats the best i can describe it. anyone else listen to their car and hear the same thing?? i only hear it at idle.
ericmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #19
Bewitchedfan

Drives: Black on Black 2010 2LT RS
I noticed the same ticking... let me describe it like this: at low idle I hear a quiet tick...probably 2 per second...then when you step up the RPM slightly... it sounds like a rattlesnake rattle. Let off the gas it then quickly returns to single taps. I'm guessing this is what everyone has been hearing as well?
Bewitchedfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 PM   #20
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Drives: Black 1SS/RS LS3 M6
The Duramax Diesel ticks like that..There was a service bulletin that described it as air that occasionally got trapped in the rod bearings or some crap like that. Possibly the same thing?
Old 06-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #21
SonnyakaPig

Drives: C63 P31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmuscle View Post
its not extremely loud. the ticking sounds like when you shut the motor off and you hear the exhaust and piping pop as it cools, thats what it sounds like but it makes this noise while the engine is running. is it possible? thats the best i can describe it. anyone else listen to their car and hear the same thing?? i only hear it at idle.
These cars' exhaust will make that ting ting ting sound even when they are running if you get the exhaust system hot enough.

But what you seem to be describing is a weird "ticking" sound from the engine that comes on when it wants and just goes away. My car did that one or two times upon start up and backing out of the driveway. It scared me when it happened. Hasn't happened again.
SonnyakaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 PM   #22
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

I was just sitting in a drivethrough just now and listening to ticking noises coming out of my LS3. It was normal valvetrain noise.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #23
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
When i back out of my driveway after a fresh start up i get 3 consecutive knocks seemingly coming from the trunk. Been doing that since i got her last July. I either say, "come in" or "hello... Mr. Hoffa, is that you"?
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #24
Mr Smith
Born again Hot Rodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonemaro View Post
When i back out of my driveway after a fresh start up i get 3 consecutive knocks seemingly coming from the trunk. Been doing that since i got her last July. I either say, "come in" or "hello... Mr. Hoffa, is that you"?
You must have gotten the Trunk Monkey.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:51 AM   #25
Bonemaro

Drives: 2010 RJT 1SS M6
Send a message via AIM to Bonemaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
or i have a gnome
Bonemaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:50 AM   #26
BozFour
Commander

Drives: 2010 2SS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
My buddy has the trunk monkey i have the @ss goblin under my lifters
BozFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #27
grizzly

Drives: 2010 camero ss/rs
Is the noise there all the time or just after start up? Mine sits for extended periods of time and has noises on start up. Put in lucas additive and took care of most off them (dry start up).
grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #28
ericmuscle

Drives: 2010 chevy
quiet at start up, but after operating temp. its noisy. like a clatter and nonrthymic. only at idle and doesnt really increase with rpms.
ericmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote