Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 06-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
mxfan127

Drives: 2011 S/C CAMARO
Thumbs up My upgrade to the Overkill kit from the IPF kit on a 2011 LS V6

I thought I'd share my build with everyone... and some background info to go along with it...

I went to CamaroFest in Indy (2012) and was walking around and seen the IPF booth and talked to Andy for a while and he sold me but at the time I just didn't have the money to buy the kit so I kept putting it off... on day I was reading posts on the fourm and seen the Thread "last chance to buy the IPF kit" so I jumped on it... I didn't know IPF was going out of biz he told me they were just moving on to the LFX platform. So I figured it wouldn't be a problem to get support if they were still around. I place my order in July or Sept of 2015 and after waiting almost 2 months it comes in Nov of 2015 and I had some Vacation time so I did the install. The only problem I had was they sent me the wrong belt and silicone 90* for the intake pipe. So the kit is in the car... The base Tune I was running was # 4 if I remember correctly and since I live just north of Chicago I had a few months until the weather was nice enough to drive the car so I started doing some mods...

That brings us to spring of 2016 and about 100 miles on the car since the install and by that time IPF was gone and KPE had taken over for us V6 guys... So I reached out to KPE to start working on a tune and after a couple months of emails I just took the car to a dyno shop... well I wasn't very happy with the numbers they told me my car was putting out (325 RWHP) but it did seem to run much better... they told me I needed to get long tube headers and get rid of my cats so I found a member on the fourm that had a set of BBK long tubes for sale at a great deal and he was close enough to take a ride and pick em up.. at the time I had short tubes and cats with a Flowmaster axel back system... not thinking about the tune I swapped them out.. well the car never ran right again! I was still going back and fourth with KPE and by now it's Fall 2016 so almost time to put the car away for the winter.. well I did more mods while I waited to see what was gonna happen with KPE and I get an email one day they have a solution for me. Spend 1800 bucks for their upgraded kit and all my troubles are over 🤔 I didn't do it.. and glad I didn't I would been in the same place I was in with IPF.. so 2000 miles on the car since the install it runs like crap I'm doing a ton of mods (mostly cosmetic) and the car is away for the winter..

Spring of 2017 now and I start looking for some help and KPE had talked very highly about Will @ Overkill and Derek who was more help then IPF and KPE combined told me he was the best at what he does so I send him a few emails and we are talking about my options and I see on the fourm he's offing a kit that is an actual upgrade from the IPF kit and after a little homework I know he's been around along time so I jump on the stage 3 kit...

After a couple weeks it came in so now we're in May of 2017 and that brings me to today.. I figured I'd share my experience with anyone who might be in the same place and since I had a couple guys go way out of their way to help me out when I was stuck (Derek, Talon and of course Will at overkill) I'd try to give as much detail as I can and hopefully answer questions anyone might be stuck on..

I don't know how to resize the pics so bare with me..

So right now I have the new plates mounted and the belts on, catch can mounted and the intercooler in place but not mounted yet. I'm making some custom brackets to mount it lower so the pipes clear the frame. I'm not sure if it's because I got in on IPFs last run or if everyone's charge pipes are the same as mine but they were 2 1/4 so I bought some 3" stainless 16 gauge pipe and fittings and I'm gonna make my own.
Attached Images

Last edited by mxfan127; 06-02-2017 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Needed to change title
mxfan127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
mxfan127

Plates

Here's the new plates and radiator hose. It's a gates part number 22373 you have to cut about an inch off the bigger side that goes to the pump. It clears perfect
Attached Images

Last edited by mxfan127; 06-03-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #3
mxfan127

New intake manifold

So I went with the LF1 intake from a 3.0 V6 and bought a 80 mm T/B from OverKill. You use the same lower as the LFX and you still have to fill the chin. I just drilled and tapped the top hole I didn't want a sensor just sitting there. I picked up a purge solenoid from a 2012+ so it is a clean install. Or you can pick up a block off plate from Novak link below.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/...-engine-parts/
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
mxfan127

Porting

It's not 100% finished yet but here's how I filled it in I will be adding a couple bolts with o-rings as rebar to anchor it in just in case..
the gasket kit is GM part number 12647263
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
mxfan127

Here's my catch can set up.

So here is how I set up and mounted my catch can... it's not piped in yet I bought an 6 fittings and black braided hose to finish it off cleaner... this is a huge upgrade from the cheap eBay crap that came with the IPF kit.. with only 2000 miles on my kit my intake was covered in oil and so were my charge pipes.. I'd bet that was part of the problem I had with the car running like crap.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
mxfan127

Power steering mounting

The new power steering mounting is perfect the IPF kit caused oil leaking all over the front of my motor... this new kit looks OEM I will be finishing it off with an finishing covers just waiting on parts.. I also removed the stock line and went all the way to the cooler with it.
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
bleavens1962

Drives: 2014 1LS Camaro
Looking forward to the rest of the install...I still have the IPF/KPE kit with a few modifications by Powertech Performance ( St Pete FL), and am on the fence about sinking more money into this after a bad install by a now closed shop (FSP) and lots of money spent to correct FSP and KPE shortfalls
bleavens1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #8
mxfan127

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleavens1962 View Post
Looking forward to the rest of the install...I still have the IPF/KPE kit with a few modifications by Powertech Performance ( St Pete FL), and am on the fence about sinking more money into this after a bad install by a now closed shop (FSP) and lots of money spent to correct FSP and KPE shortfalls
Trust me I know how you feel... This is my first modern build everything I've done in the past was many years ago and it had a carb on the top so when it comes to F/I on a new car I only know what I have read... but I do all the work myself so I save a ton that way but not everyone is comfortable taking on a project like this. So far my experience with Will has been top notch and from what I can tell so far it's a much better design... the only problem I had with IPF was tuning and now that I know alittle more about how it all works their charge pipes were to small (2 1/4) I asked Will about that he said min should be 2 3/4 but 3 is best. But his tuning ability is what I'm looking forward to every thing I have read all says the same thing he's very good at what he does. But I'll update this thread as parts come in. It shouldn't take much to finish the charge pipes.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:57 PM   #9
tlavoie87
Built Not Bought

Drives: 2010 Twin Turbo LFX
GREAT write up mike Glad to help !!!

On a side note.. im heading out monday To florida to spend the week at tracys shop see how everything runs meet both V6 Gurus ..cant wait

"Built Not Bought!'

Sponsors:
OverKill Motorsports
tlavoie87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:13 PM   #10
mxfan127

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlavoie87 View Post
GREAT write up mike Glad to help !!!

On a side note.. im heading out monday To florida to spend the week at tracys shop see how everything runs meet both V6 Gurus ..cant wait
No problem.. thanks for all your time!
Old 06-02-2017, 06:17 PM   #11
mxfan127

Valve covers off

Well I figured since I'm waiting on parts I'm gonna take my valve covers off and paint them Red and check my timing chain, cams see how clean it is.. and it's spotless I've ran AMS oil since the car had 1000 miles on it and change it every 3 to 5k so no build up at all... to bad I don't have a set of cams to throw in... hmmmm ��
Attached Images

Last edited by mxfan127; 06-02-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #12
mxfan127

Painted valve covers

This should dress up the engine alittle bit..
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2017, 05:32 AM   #13
lkaire75

Drives: 2014 Camaro V6 2LT
Will Overkill Stage III

I´m ready for stage III!, cams and pump!
lkaire75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:18 AM   #14
tlavoie87
Built Not Bought

Drives: 2010 Twin Turbo LFX
love the valve covers mike looking good.. i need to do this not sure what color tho

"Built Not Bought!'

Sponsors:
OverKill Motorsports
tlavoie87 is offline   Reply With Quote