Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 11-02-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Drives: "Marolyn"
question about brakes

hey guys, i test drove my future first car the other day, a real dark blue 01 camaro v6 t-top, and ive got to say i want it a bunch more, and ive been looking at this car now for 3 months and seeing/driving it for the 1st time really solidifies me wanting it.

but, on to the question, when i drove it i noticed the brakes were about shot, and i nearly ran a 4 way, i think im just used to my moms brand new brakes but idk. so im simply asking what would be some good solid brakes for a reasonable price?

another random question: is it true that brakes run down way quicker on chevys/gmc's? ive heard alot of people saying this, and i dont know if theres any truth behind it or not.

p.s. one more: when i test drove my camaro, the steering wheel was kinda cocked off to one side, like i was going perfectly straight, but by looking at the wheel you would think im veering off the road. is there any way to reverse this so its straight?
Fotowns Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
Ant32894
Youjellybra?

Drives: 95 3.4l V6
1) Go to AutoZone for brakes, thats where I go. Lifetime warranty.

2) To get a wheel alignment from a shop (probably a tire place) and it will cost around 20-30, I don't remember.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Another option- find one that doesnt have so many issues.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:40 PM   #4
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder4thgen View Post
Another option- find one that doesnt have so many issues.
there are no issues, it runs perfect, and only needs new brakes. and its not like i absolutley need to fix the steering wheel
Old 11-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
xsofa

Drives: 96 Camaro 3800
I think what duder is getting at is that there is a reason that the steering wheel is out of whack, and whatever that reason is could/will affect the car in the future
xsofa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:07 AM   #6
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsofa View Post
I think what duder is getting at is that there is a reason that the steering wheel is out of whack, and whatever that reason is could/will affect the car in the future
are you serious? what exactly could happen?
Old 11-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #7
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotowns Finest View Post
hey guys, i test drove my future first car the other day, a real dark blue 01 camaro v6 t-top, and ive got to say i want it a bunch more, and ive been looking at this car now for 3 months and seeing/driving it for the 1st time really solidifies me wanting it.

but, on to the question, when i drove it i noticed the brakes were about shot, and i nearly ran a 4 way, i think im just used to my moms brand new brakes but idk. so im simply asking what would be some good solid brakes for a reasonable price?

another random question: is it true that brakes run down way quicker on chevys/gmc's? ive heard alot of people saying this, and i dont know if theres any truth behind it or not.

p.s. one more: when i test drove my camaro, the steering wheel was kinda cocked off to one side, like i was going perfectly straight, but by looking at the wheel you would think im veering off the road. is there any way to reverse this so its straight?
it is kinda true cus GM/Chevy cars can go a lot faster than those of ford/dodge.... and it wears more on brakes to slow down from higher speeds....

Quote:

mine is the same way in the 94. it just needs a better alignment. unless the car is pulling to one side, a rotated steering wheel isn't going to cause problems. most times what happens is the alignment shop sets one side of the car too far "to get it within spec" then goes to the other side and cant get it all the way and ends up turning the steering wheel while they straighten the wheels. instead of doing a little adjustment on each side, here and there till its correct.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #8
xsofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
mine is the same way in the 94. it just needs a better alignment. unless the car is pulling to one side, a rotated steering wheel isn't going to cause problems. most times what happens is the alignment shop sets one side of the car too far "to get it within spec" then goes to the other side and cant get it all the way and ends up turning the steering wheel while they straighten the wheels. instead of doing a little adjustment on each side, here and there till its correct.
True enough, I was getting at that it might have been in an accident at some point, and that could have been a side-effect, meaning that there might be more wrong with it... Chances are tho, its just out of line, if I've paranoid you at all, take a mechanic with you to see it before you buy it to make sure it all checks out
Old 11-03-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

ok thanks but yea you did give me a bit of a scare there, but at least i learned about the issue
Old 11-03-2009, 09:56 PM   #10
duder4thgen

Drives: Bird
Quote:
True enough, I was getting at that it might have been in an accident at some point, and that could have been a side-effect, meaning that there might be more wrong with it... Chances are tho, its just out of line, if I've paranoid you at all, take a mechanic with you to see it before you buy it to make sure it all checks out

My train of though, and I apologize for not explaining it better. Right off the bat this guy is selling it with the brakes completely screwed. Next- what kind of idiot has been working on this thing if they got the steering wheel crooked on its last alignment?

Just seeing two issues like that on the surface makes me think the car hasn't been maintained very well. What other issues could there be that arent so apparent right now? Deffinatly get a mechanic to give it a good look over on a lift to see what else might be wrong with it.
duder4thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:57 AM   #11
Ant32894
Youjellybra?

Drives: 95 3.4l V6
Make sure you check the tie rods. I had a bad tie rod end on mine. Had to fix that before I got an alignment.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
xsofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder4thgen View Post
Just seeing two issues like that on the surface makes me think the car hasn't been maintained very well. What other issues could there be that arent so apparent right now? Deffinatly get a mechanic to give it a good look over on a lift to see what else might be wrong with it.
My thoughts exactly
Old 11-05-2009, 04:09 AM   #13
Fotowns Finest
Harbinger of Doom

thanks everyone