Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 01-28-2013, 11:52 AM   #1
smkeeling
MNSTRBEE

Drives: 2010 Transformers 2SS/RS
LS3 in to '08 Suburban LTZ

Looking for thoughts, ideas or suggestions... I pull a 21' Yamaha AR210 jetboat, load it witj two kids, two german shepherds and the hot wife, oh almost forgot all the kids (both girls) stuff and the hot wife's stuff. SO, this burb pulls a heavy load during the summer to the lake and back. We live in a pretty hilly part of Virginia and travel to Smith Mountain Lake, Lake Anna and a lake or two in NC/MD. The burb as the 5.3 with either the A4 or A6 (need to double check) 4wd tow package 20" wheels.

Thoughts are supercharger/turbo.
-Turbo gives the torque that is needed to pull this heavy boat to the water.
-Supercharges great for power little less on the torque side and they are efficient when not under load.
-The down side to both is the cost for either running $7500-$10K installed.

The other option is a used LS3 from the forum or bone yard mated to the A6. The price of this system will run about the same as the SC or Turbo, give or take a few hundred, and will grant me more power/torque stock. Just the price of the install.

Like I said thoughts, ideas, suggestions..
2010 BumbleBee 2SS/RS Stainless Works headers 1 7/8, Roto-Fab CAI, Magnaflow 3" cat back exhaust with X-pipe, Ported and polished Mast Motorsports LS3 heads, ported and polished TB, LSXR FAST 102 intake ported to match heads, CAM and Tuned by T&T Performance 498RWHP 468RWTQ still getting 24mpg hwy VDI vertical doors installed by T&T Performance
smkeeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Cruuzin LV

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkeeling View Post
Looking for thoughts, ideas or suggestions... I pull a 21' Yamaha AR210 jetboat, load it witj two kids, two german shepherds and the hot wife, oh almost forgot all the kids (both girls) stuff and the hot wife's stuff. SO, this burb pulls a heavy load during the summer to the lake and back. We live in a pretty hilly part of Virginia and travel to Smith Mountain Lake, Lake Anna and a lake or two in NC/MD. The burb as the 5.3 with either the A4 or A6 (need to double check) 4wd tow package 20" wheels.

-Supercharges great for power little less on the torque side and they are efficient when not under load.

The other option is a used LS3 from the forum or bone yard mated to the A6. The price of this system will run about the same as the SC or Turbo, give or take a few hundred, and will grant me more power/torque stock. Just the price of the install.

What ever option gives you the most TQ at the lowest RPM would be the best bet when pulling a boat out of the water and up hills. At speed I would imagine they would all preform pretty well.
Cruuzin LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #3
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/ SLP ZL575 #70
Quote:

Hey how's it going!!! Been there done that............ we had a 30' BAJA offshore racing boat. Those were some fun times down at Lake Anna!!!!! Definitely, had to have 4wd to pull that thing out of the water. Had a 1989 full size Blazer that did the job!!!
Old 01-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
smkeeling
MNSTRBEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Fun View Post
Hey how's it going!!! Been there done that............ we had a 30' BAJA offshore racing boat. Those were some fun times down at Lake Anna!!!!! Definitely, had to have 4wd to pull that thing out of the water. Had a 1989 full size Blazer that did the job!!!
Doing good, how have you been? The burb pulls the boat ok but on the long hauls and the steep hills she can struggle.
2010 BumbleBee 2SS/RS Stainless Works headers 1 7/8, Roto-Fab CAI, Magnaflow 3" cat back exhaust with X-pipe, Ported and polished Mast Motorsports LS3 heads, ported and polished TB, LSXR FAST 102 intake ported to match heads, CAM and Tuned by T&T Performance 498RWHP 468RWTQ still getting 24mpg hwy VDI vertical doors installed by T&T Performance
Old 01-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
S/C or T/C will be far less difficult and less time consuming. Modern vehicles aren't just bolt it in and hook up a couple wires like in the old days. Now you have to deal with a lot of wiring to keep it legal. You will likely need the entire wiring harness from the engine, ecu and tcu. You will have to splice all that into the trucks wiring harness. you don't mention the year of the "burb". I'm assuming with the 5.3 in it, it is fairly new. You may have better luck swapping in a 6.0. I believe the suburbans were available with it. If so, the wiring harnesses should match up better and require less splicing then using an LS3 from a Camaro.

A truck engine would probably have a better torque curve for what your using it. They would have a cam thats better set up for towing and the iron block truck engines run a grand or two cheaper then the aluminum blocks they use in the cars. The Silverado SS's used the iron block 6.0, the Trailblazer SS's used the aluminum block 6.0.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
SS4Fun
and that it is!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/ SLP ZL575 #70
Quote:
Doing good, how have you been? The burb pulls the boat ok but on the long hauls and the steep hills she can struggle.

I hear ya............... I remember pulling our 19' with a Monte Carlo SS to Smith Mountain Lake. That was a memorable trip!!!! Tell the wife and daughter "HI" for me!!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
VictorySS
Edit now 5th Camaro

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
S/C or T/C will be far less difficult and less time consuming. Modern vehicles aren't just bolt it in and hook up a couple wires like in the old days. Now you have to deal with a lot of wiring to keep it legal. You will likely need the entire wiring harness from the engine, ecu and tcu. You will have to splice all that into the trucks wiring harness. you don't mention the year of the "burb". I'm assuming with the 5.3 in it, it is fairly new. You may have better luck swapping in a 6.0. I believe the suburbans were available with it. If so, the wiring harnesses should match up better and require less splicing then using an LS3 from a Camaro.

A truck engine would probably have a better torque curve for what your using it. They would have a cam thats better set up for towing and the iron block truck engines run a grand or two cheaper then the aluminum blocks they use in the cars. The Silverado SS's used the iron block 6.0, the Trailblazer SS's used the aluminum block 6.0.
There rewiring would be min at most, we are talking a few sensor. Guys drop LS3 in 4th gen Camaros and other GM platform all the time that are based on the LS platform. I wouldnt use an LS3 go find yourself a L92 to drop in. They have more TQ & HP where you need it and they dont cost as much
2001 ZO6 - Sold
2010 Camaro SS Sold
AEM Intake / 1" Drop / Forgeline / TSP Headers / AMT Catback / 20% Tint
Current Whip 2016 2SS Hyper Blue!
VictorySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #8
TRIPWIRE
Chillin Like a Villain

Drives: 2013 2SS Blue Ray Metallic Dusk Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post

I agree with what he said....supercharger or turbo would be alot more convienient and prob cheaper.
TRIPWIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Why not buy a new car that is capable from the start? The amount you'd drop on a SC or TC would make a good downpayment, and you'd get the trade value on your current vehicle.
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
smkeeling
MNSTRBEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmac View Post
Why not buy a new car that is capable from the start? The amount you'd drop on a SC or TC would make a good downpayment, and you'd get the trade value on your current vehicle.
I wanted the diesel, but chevy and GMC no longer offer that and I am not a ford guy, had one and it went tits up just over 100K. If it wouldn't cost me a kidney or 2 I'd swap the burb over to a 2500's chassis with the duramax with allison transmission. My oldest rides horses and I know I will be pulling a horse trailer here soon enough.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #11
smkeeling
MNSTRBEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorySS View Post
There rewiring would be min at most, we are talking a few sensor. Guys drop LS3 in 4th gen Camaros and other GM platform all the time that are based on the LS platform. I wouldnt use an LS3 go find yourself a L92 to drop in. They have more TQ & HP where you need it and they dont cost as much
I know a few here have said the L92 but its not different than the L99 other than intake, cam and tune. Both are 6.2, same heads, AFM/VVT. Making roughly the same horsepower and torque. The blocks LS3/L99 are more robust in design allowing for you to make more power without the fear of hurting them.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #12
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Trading or selling your Burb for a new one isn't a bad idea. SLP makes packages for Suburbans w/ up to 700HP!- Click Here -. for more information. They will easily do what you want.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
dorfmac
www.macsautodetail.com

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
Trading or selling your Burb for a new one isn't a bad idea. SLP makes packages for Suburbans w/ up to 700HP!- Click Here -. for more information. They will easily do what you want.
HOW DARE YOU POST THAT LINK YOU'RE NOT A VENDOR!!!

POSTING LINKS LIKE THAT JUST TO HELP SOMEONE OUT IS NOT ALLOWED!
dorfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:02 PM   #14
Tribute

Drives: 2012 SLP ZL770 #17 (Hugger Orange)
OP - just sent you a pm. I might just have an LS3 available...