Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #127
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxxBombers213 View Post
so since I have a 2010 with the added GPS antenna, I don't have to touch the on star module correct? I can skip that entire step?

If this is the case, it doesn't look like the glovebox needs to be removed on a 2010… could be that its 11PM, I'm exhausted, and I'm completely missing something
call me.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:46 PM   #128
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
so since I have a 2010 with the added GPS antenna, I don't have to touch the on star module correct? I can skip that entire step?

If this is the case, it doesn't look like the glovebox needs to be removed on a 2010… could be that its 11PM, I'm exhausted, and I'm completely missing something
You do have to do the wires for the Onstar, or things will not work right.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #129
BronxxBombers213

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
You do have to do the wires for the Onstar, or things will not work right.

oh yes, I see now… the X2 connector… the splitter is the step thats eliminated for a 2010. Sharkfin cable stays connected to onstar… Only the white harness plugs should be removed from onstar so the wires can be added

also- another question… I have my reverse camera currently hooked up to your gentex mirror retrofit/ harness.

To switch the camera output to the mylink, is it as simple as switching the RCA cable from mirror harness to mylink harness?? Or do I have to wire the power to the camera differently? IIRC with your harness, the power connections are to the fuse box- I don't think I remember tapping into my reverse lights like I have with prior cars. Will I have to do so now?

Last edited by BronxxBombers213; 05-17-2014 at 12:55 AM.
BronxxBombers213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 02:35 AM   #130
13blackLS

Drives: 2013 camaro ls; 2005 rx8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
Yes it does matter.

Do you have a BA or non-BA system? If non-BA system then you won't have a wire in pin 43 and GEN5DIY should have supplied you with a new wire. Either way the other end of pin 43 goes to pin 18 of the HVAC/Radio connector A20.
I have a question about the white wire...what is it for?? I have a 2013 non BA system...but both places where this white wire plugs into i already have wires in those pins locations...after putting in the faceplate wires i have no empty pins...and the spot on my main radio harness already has a wire in there....ive plugged everything except the onstar module, and all the radio/ac/hazard lights function normally??

Am i missing something here???
13blackLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:16 AM   #131
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Quote:
oh yes, I see now… the X2 connector… the splitter is the step thats eliminated for a 2010. Sharkfin cable stays connected to onstar… Only the white harness plugs should be removed from onstar so the wires can be added

also- another question… I have my reverse camera currently hooked up to your gentex mirror retrofit/ harness.

To switch the camera output to the mylink, is it as simple as switching the RCA cable from mirror harness to mylink harness??
Yes, or if you want both like I did put the RCA splitter in.

Or do I have to wire the power to the camera differently? No, as I did not have to do anything differently.

IIRC with your harness, the power connections are to the fuse box- I don't think I remember tapping into my reverse lights like I have with prior cars. Will I have to do so now? No, I didn't do anything differently.
Got it?
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #132
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13blackLS View Post
I have a question about the white wire...what is it for?? I have a 2013 non BA system...but both places where this white wire plugs into i already have wires in those pins locations...after putting in the faceplate wires i have no empty pins...and the spot on my main radio harness already has a wire in there....ive plugged everything except the onstar module, and all the radio/ac/hazard lights function normally??

Am i missing something here???
The white wire for BA systems is to turn on the amplifer, hence the T-tap. For non-BA systems it is to power the new face plate as the other end goes to pin 18 of the HVAC/Radio connector A20. I would ask GEN5DIY as we've found some interesting things along the way.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:35 AM   #133
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
I think the very first step is to KNOW YOUR CONNECTORS!!! I had the same confusions as some of you.

The directions skip around a bit so I strongly suggest only working on one connector at a time and do it until it's done. Read through the entire directions while working on each connector so you don't miss anything.

To help me, I got a blank sheet of paper and drew the plugs so I'd have a quick reference to go to. Just a tip that may help out. Or just print out the directions. I have an iPad, I used that instead of printing.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #134
JAustin

Drives: (sold) 2011 2LT/RS auto, SW/tan top
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS@Gen5diy View Post
Updated the PDF today.
Where can I find the updated PDF? I downloaded the one attached to your post #92, but don't see any later posts with the new PDF.

(It might be helpful -- in addition to / in place of -- the date on p1 of the document to include a revision number.)
JAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #135
USCAMARO14

Drives: 2LS 2014
I got a question about the white wire. The one that goes to pin 18 on a non BA system. I do have that wire in that spot already. 2014 Camaro LS. Can I use that wire already?
Old 05-17-2014, 10:36 AM   #136
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAustin View Post
Where can I find the updated PDF? I downloaded the one attached to your post #92, but don't see any later posts with the new PDF.

(It might be helpful -- in addition to / in place of -- the date on p1 of the document to include a revision number.)

That link is the updated version. He just changed it on the link end, if you know what I'm saying.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:32 PM   #137
BronxxBombers213

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
gas prices, movies, etc require subscription?

Its weird, Im getting all XM channels without an account, i guess as the trial…. but I am not getting gas prices and stuff like that, its telling me my subscription has run out
Old 05-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #138
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Mylink Install

Quote:
gas prices, movies, etc require subscription?

Its weird, Im getting all XM channels without an account, i guess as the trial…. but I am not getting gas prices and stuff like that, its telling me my subscription has run out

Those all require a subscription called "Travel Link", through the XM folks.

http://www.siriusxm.com/travellink
Old 05-17-2014, 02:58 PM   #139
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Here's a link to the MyLink manual for everyone: https://assets.gm.com/manuals/chevro...navigation.pdf
Old 05-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #140
ShadoChaser
Gamer & Ghosthunter!

Drives: 2010 GCN 2SS/RS L99
Thanks Ofer! I got it installed, no problems at all. Looks and Works Great!

Just have to figure out whats up with the Backup Camera. Looks Like distorted video, but I verified the MyLink video in is fine.

Update: I Figured out the problem with the Backup Camera, the Signal Pins (Yellow & White on Camera Plug) were reversed in the Video Cable, Just had to reverse the wires in the Video Plug! Now it works fine !

Last edited by ShadoChaser; 05-18-2014 at 08:38 AM.
ShadoChaser is offline   Reply With Quote