Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #337
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
My brakes are always noisy. Loudest when driving home from track for sure. Lots of metal in the form of dust is everywhere which i cant imagine not contributing to the noise.

You should see some of the looks i get when driving with track pads...people think i destroyed my car hahaha. Anyways with your mods listed in signature and what you talked about here you need noisy brakes
Thanks Blake. So dust is the culprit, huh? On the pad or on the rotors, you figure? You ever try any way to get the dust off after the track?

Attached a shot - quite a lot of material on rotors and not really evenly spread...

I don't mind noisy brakes but these actually made the track official cringe and shudder when I pulled up in grid. It really sounds like metal on metal.
Attached Images

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:00 PM   #338
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Pete,

These are pictures of your rotors after being on track?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #339
SSSoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Pete,

These are pictures of your rotors after being on track?
Yep. Didn't look like this before the track.

Here's a shot of the passenger side front rotor - same thing. The streaking sure is weird.
Attached Images

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #340
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
I have found that the Hawk pads from HP+ and higher track pads all squeel a lot at slow speed stopping....the Cobalt Friction pads I have now are occasionally noisy, and throw off tons of brake dust, but are definitely quiter than the Hawk pads I have had....still trying to get some of that dust off from when I was racing in the rain and didn't wash it off timely....
Could you post a picture of your rotors so we can compare them to SSsoon?
Old 10-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #341
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSoon View Post
Yep. Didn't look like this before the track.

Here's a shot of the passenger side front rotor - same thing. The streaking sure is weird.
That does look interesting. How is the pad wearing? Nice and even? How is the rotor? Is it grooved or just look streaked?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:00 PM   #342
SSSoon

Quote:
That does look interesting. How is the pad wearing? Nice and even? How is the rotor? Is it grooved or just look streaked?
Haven't looked at the pads, but from the outside the pad seems the same thickness across different dimensions.

Rotors are all like this - streaked, sort of. Does not rub off. I ran my finger over the rotor and cannot feel any grooves. However, the shiny parts are lower friction than the dull parts (if that makes sense). Finger slides easily over shiny parts, a little less so on dull parts.

BTW same pattern of shiny and dull on rear rotors that are OEM, not slotted.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #343
JusticePete

Quote:
Haven't looked at the pads, but from the outside the pad seems the same thickness across different dimensions.

Rotors are all like this - streaked, sort of. Does not rub off. I ran my finger over the rotor and cannot feel any grooves. However, the shiny parts are lower friction than the dull parts (if that makes sense). Finger slides easily over shiny parts, a little less so on dull parts.

BTW same pattern of shiny and dull on rear rotors that are OEM, not slotted.
How was the braking? Any fade? Better than the old pads? Worse?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #344
SSSoon

Quote:
How was the braking? Any fade? Better than the old pads? Worse?
Seems to haul it down better than the RB light-duty pads. Some vibration through the pedal, which I assumed was because of the slots. Better bite.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #345
JusticePete

Quote:
Seems to haul it down better than the RB light-duty pads. Some vibration through the pedal, which I assumed was because of the slots. Better bite.
You had the slots with the other pads and no vibration?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #346
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Could you post a picture of your rotors so we can compare them to SSsoon?
Here you go Pete
Attached Images

Old 10-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #347
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by So Cal Camaro View Post
Here you go Pete
Thank you. They look great.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:28 AM   #348
SSSoon

Quote:
You had the slots with the other pads and no vibration?
Have had the slotted rotors on since the summer and with the other pads I felt the vibration too. Not crazy warped-rotors type vibration, just "chunk-chunk-chunk" when I braked hard as the pads bit. But, remember, the same streaky pattern shows on my rear rotors and they are OEM.

So looking at SoCal's rotors, I am confused. His look clean and uniform across. Mine have shiny and dull streaks. I am wondering whether the dull areas are where there is a transfer layer of pad material on the brake, but the shiny areas are where the transfer layer has been rubbed off entirely. That somehow the rotors are a little warped or the pads are uneven and are only contacting where the shiny areas are, and have rubbed the transfer layer right off?

It does not make sense that taking the car to the track causes the transfer layer on the rotors to disappear in spots, but I wonder if that is somehow what has happened

Old 10-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #349
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
I suspect if the rotors are warped you would know...the description, especially on track would be more than "some vibration" Wish i could help you, i was trying i see if maybe the streaks are related to the actual holes but it doesn't look like it. Are the streaks the same areas on all 4?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #350
SSSoon

Quote:
I suspect if the rotors are warped you would know...the description, especially on track would be more than "some vibration" Wish i could help you, i was trying i see if maybe the streaks are related to the actual holes but it doesn't look like it. Are the streaks the same areas on all 4?
I don't think the streaking is related to the holes - I thought that originally but no real pattern. And, also, it IS on all four rotors, and the back pair are not slotted, just OEM.

Back rotors were turned just a little prior to installing these last week, just to flatten them out.