Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #407
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
I think the CTS-V Mono-Block Brembo is a superior caliper to the RB 2-piece caliper and it is cheaper.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #408
Virus

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDP Motorsports View Post
I think the CTS-V Mono-Block Brembo is a superior caliper to the RB 2-piece caliper and it is cheaper.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
What makes you say that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #409
JDP Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus View Post
What makes you say that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The 2-piece calipers can have a fair amount of deflection in them and the "bridge" on the RB calipers is a bolt. We run the Stop Tech 2-piece calipers as well as the 2-piece Wilwood calipers which have actual bridges in most cases. The mono-block design is simply better however in my opinion. I also don't have a lot of confidence in RB products from personal experience.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 12-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #410
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
The 2-piece calipers can have a fair amount of deflection in them and the "bridge" on the RB calipers is a bolt. We run the Stop Tech 2-piece calipers as well as the 2-piece Wilwood calipers which have actual bridges in most cases. The mono-block design is simply better however in my opinion. I also don't have a lot of confidence in RB products from personal experience.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Really? Can I ask what happened that you don't like Racing Brake? I ran their rotors and absolutely loved them.

Was it their rotors you had an issue with, or the rake pads, or what?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #411
JDP Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Really? Can I ask what happened that you don't like Racing Brake? I ran their rotors and absolutely loved them.

Was it their rotors you had an issue with, or the rake pads, or what?
I was using their rotors in early development of our CTS-V package and I completely split one after 4 track days on street tires with a DTC-30 pad compound which isn't super aggressive; I'd hate to see what happens on an R-Compound set up. They were also very difficult to work with so we stopped using and offering their products.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 12-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #412
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
I was using their rotors in early development of our CTS-V package and I completely split one after 4 track days on street tires with a DTC-30 pad compound which isn't super aggressive; I'd hate to see what happens on an R-Compound set up. They were also very difficult to work with so we stopped using and offering their products.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Did you contact Racing Brake when it happened and asked them why they thought the rotor cracked?
Old 12-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #413
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Not picking any sides... but I remember a few years back when Baer came out with their Mono Block Calipers it was a big deal for the same reasons Jordan pointed out.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 12-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #414
JDP Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Did you contact Racing Brake when it happened and asked them why they thought the rotor cracked?
I did and I didn't get very far. I was actually pretty put off the way they treated me especially considering we run one of the fastest roadcourse/autocross 5th Gens in the country.. I actually just threw them away a few weeks ago but I kept the center hats... That was an expensive experiment.

Kind regards,

Jordan Priestley
Old 02-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #415
SSSoon

Drives: RY 2011 2SS A6
A small update on my warped rotor story from earlier in this thread.

For those who don't want to look it all up, I had slotted RB fronts that warped when using Hawk DTC-30s on the track. Machined the rotors and switched to Cobalt Friction pads. After one day on the track, the rotors were warped again (though only slightly this time).

Bought new rings from RB, sent old ones back and asked them to look at them. They credited me for 90% of the cost of the rings - company stands behind their product. I think there was something wrong with the rotors I had, because I have driven those tracks before on OEM rotors and pads, no problem, no warping.

Interestingly, RB now no longer sells the specific rotors I had bought. What they sell now are 32 mm wide, 20.5 lbs each. What I bought last fall was thinner (I forget exactly what - 30mm?) and lighter. RB told me it was a change that had nothing to do with product performance. But, given my odd situation with the last rotors, I am actually happy that these ones are now the same width as OEM rotors, even if they are heavier than what they used to be.

I ended up adding brake ducts to help manage the heat situation up front, so I am no longer worried about overheating. But still.

Link for duct project:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=255468&page=5

Pete

Dry sump LS7, cage, JPSS suspension, Wilwood brakes, fire suppression, ARH 3" headers/exhaust, Z/28 DSSV coilovers, Kirkey seats, TeamTech 6-point harnesses, 19" Forgeline GA3R, 325/30R19 Re11 tires, oil cooler, monster JPSS splitter/wickerbill, CAI, brake ducts.
SSSoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:53 PM   #416
Mikamaro
MikeNoMaro

Drives: A 2016 Challenger R/T M6 STP
Everyone here, still happy with their RB 2-piece Rotors?
What's their expected track life? (from real experiences)

Track Day Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/mrgoodman2000/videos
Built #83817, Born January 18th, Christened June 11th 2010, Stolen October 3rd 2016.

Last edited by Mikamaro; 01-27-2015 at 05:08 PM.
Mikamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:51 PM   #417
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
I plan to only use my RB rotors for the street and possibly auto-cross. As others have mentioned, serious track use (myself included), will get the stockers put back on and I plan to go Cobalt Friction pads based on many people here that drive hard and have had good results with those on track. I don't plan on getting the CTS-V or ZL1 setup anytime soon. So far I've had no issues at all with my RB rotors, and I have the Hurst edition ones, but I've only driven about 100 miles on them. I will report back with more mileage.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:24 PM   #418
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Racing Brake CCM-X rotors

I just switched over from the stock ZL1 caliper and RB two piece rotors. I ran the original GM pads up to 36K! I now have the Racing Brake Camaro kit which is the prototype. Burnished the pads today after 50 stops! I missed this weekend Speedventures track day at Fontana!
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #419
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:48 AM   #420
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
I plan to only use my RB rotors for the street and possibly auto-cross. As others have mentioned, serious track use (myself included), will get the stockers put back on and I plan to go Cobalt Friction pads based on many people here that drive hard and have had good results with those on track. I don't plan on getting the CTS-V or ZL1 setup anytime soon. So far I've had no issues at all with my RB rotors, and I have the Hurst edition ones, but I've only driven about 100 miles on them. I will report back with more mileage.
I have had some problems now and hear bad scraping sounds with the rear RB rotors. However, RB has been responsive and plans to send fixed parts to me to get them fixed. I've not had any other problems up till now (2+ months of street driving.)