Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-19-2021, 04:20 PM   #1
jcampos

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro SS
Build time

What up guys just looking for inputs from those with basically the same build as mine. I recently purchased my GPI SS4 cam kit, GPI heads and a FAST LSXHR. Now my question is this what kind of low end torque loss could I possibly have with such a large can and the high rise manifold? Im going to run the stock ported throttle body for the time being because spending the $650 on a 103mm is crazy imo. I know a couple of guys running this exact build but I feel like they are lying about their final wheel tq/HP. I've read about some guys experiencing terrible, for the money torque gains/loss down low. I didn't skimp out on any associated parts in the cam kit and got the best of everything. But I'm wondering if I should keep the manifold or exchange it for the GPI Ported LS3 intake instead and save myself some money after the core return. Also, I bought the heads out right so I'll be sending my stock ones back for the core return. I don't plan on having the engine living in the 7k ROM range so I'd like to know any real world experience with this setup.

Btw I'm running stock bottom end, stock clutch, rear end. I already have a CAI, Headers and exhaust and after all said and done I'm looking to be in the 525-550 wheel hp. My car will mainly collect dust maybe drive it to work once a week and or maybe fart around in the weekends in it.

Here's a few pics. I'm still waiting on the cam kit because so many parts are on backorder.
Attached Images

jcampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
I'd get some new lower gears for that rear maybe. Others can chime in but if not going boosted might consider GPI's rod mod intake over that more expensive Fast. No matter what enjoy it sure it will be a beast as I have that cam, GPI ported milled heads and a few other things just running a ported Bo White TB though. Low 11's on my set up, sorry don't get to caught up with Dyno #s.
Old 06-20-2021, 11:21 PM   #3
jcampos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tajefe Couple View Post
I'd get some new lower gears for that rear maybe. Others can chime in but if not going boosted might consider GPI's rod mod intake over that more expensive Fast. No matter what enjoy it sure it will be a beast as I have that cam, GPI ported milled heads and a few other things just running a ported Bo White TB though. Low 11's on my set up, sorry don't get to caught up with Dyno #s.
Na this is good info, I'm looking for real world experiences. I will eventually get 373 or 391 gears. I try not to get hooked on Dyno numbers but the more I look into things I'm kind of concerned. Realistically I want it to run strong w/o issue. I'm just concerned when people say low end torque loss with this setup what exactly does that feel like? Stock torque or???

Either way I might get a nick Williams throttle body wayyy down the road along with a possible nitrous setup
Old 06-21-2021, 07:55 AM   #4
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
I have a setup like this, I have the LOD X-1 intake and am running a 4200-4500 stall and even though when I had the 3200 stall in there, I didn't notice the TQ loss, but the dyno will show it, but it moved the HP way out to the right in the curve. You being a stick car not sure how that would feel being lost. My tuner set the lock up to happen at the WOT hit of the throttle as is why mine number is so high. As I have learned, don'tget hung up on the numbers, it is all in how the car runs that matters. Good luck, and have fun.
Old 06-21-2021, 04:49 PM   #5
SSkat

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
If you dont plan on going over 7k or arent racing it Id probably just get the ported rod mod stock manifold just so you dont have to cut or get a new hood. You probably wont be at 525 wheel but you will be close.
SSkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:32 PM   #6
joshnmn
2&THEHIT

Drives: 5th Gen Camaro; 5th Gen Ram 3500
Ditto

500 is probably closer. Save the intake headache and driveability go for a ported stocker
joshnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #7
jcampos

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshnmn View Post
Ditto

500 is probably closer. Save the intake headache and driveability go for a ported stocker
Well sending back the LSXHR is going to be a headache... It's a 20% restocking fee plus I pay for all shipping and handling back to GPI. That sucks.
Old 06-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #8
1LE_ROLL

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE
Do research before you buy lol. I say just run it and see what happens. No one has answers to everything why not just do it and learn on the way? Obviously you wanted the hi ram
Old 06-22-2021, 12:31 PM   #9
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
+1 ^^^
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 12:35 PM   #10
Silver14

Drives: 2014 SIM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcampos View Post
Well sending back the LSXHR is going to be a headache... It's a 20% restocking fee plus I pay for all shipping and handling back to GPI. That sucks.
If you try it and decide to change it later, what % decrease is the used price? If it comes out close might as well install it.
Silver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #11
1LE_ROLL

IMHO the hi rams main purpose is to get you up or above 7k. That’s where the power will be with that kind of runner. TB is gonna be your bottle neck. Good luck on the hp goal, especially if you don’t want to go up to 7k. I’m guessing 93? Where are you basing these predictions off of? The GPI sales catalog? So confused on the order of operations here
Old 06-24-2021, 11:56 AM   #12
jcampos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE_ROLL View Post
Do research before you buy lol. I say just run it and see what happens. No one has answers to everything why not just do it and learn on the way? Obviously you wanted the hi ram
Yes to this lol bc **** it bro lol
Old 06-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #13
jcampos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LE_ROLL View Post
IMHO the hi rams main purpose is to get you up or above 7k. That’s where the power will be with that kind of runner. TB is gonna be your bottle neck. Good luck on the hp goal, especially if you don’t want to go up to 7k. I’m guessing 93? Where are you basing these predictions off of? The GPI sales catalog? So confused on the order of operations here

I know of three people whom have this setup first off, and I'm inquiring if anyone here has this similar setup with an honest answer. It's not a prediction I've seen all three Dyno graphs one was maxed like 538 and I think the other two were in the 540's but I didn't nt remember the torque on them. I'm just wondering how the low end torque feels more or less and if anyone here has opinions on that besides the guys I know. They don't race all the time and say it feels great between 3500-7000k . I ain't no chode looking at a catalog looking for results lol

What part of the order of operations do you need clarification bro so I can help ya out?
Old 06-24-2021, 01:18 PM   #14
1LE_ROLL

My order of operations is research, then buy shit and then install it and see. You buy shit and apparently “know” people who have it but still take the time to question it instead of just throw it on? I like wrenching not talking. Bring it up to cabelas some time let’s see how quick those friends are