Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-10-2021, 09:17 PM   #1
Rmkuper

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Hiss when manually turning crank p0016

All right yall tracking down p0116 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (Bank 1 Sensor A) checked all the sensors and wiring now I'm down to the meat and potatoes(checking timing, phaser, VVT silinoid etc...) First thing I noticed is it's difficult to crank manually with plugs out and starter off. First couple turns it squirted oil out of the silinoid/CAM bolt. You can hear there is pressure somewhere in the video sounds like it's coming from the VVT silinoid or oil pump can't tell. Anyone came across this? Im thinking it's a bad VVT silinoid.... No oil pressure issues before or after the p0016. Just running rough, backfire 1-2 shift and soft brakes. GPI vvt2 cam, ported heads, LTH, cat delete, CAI, tune.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mzJ...w?usp=drivesdk

Sent from my SM-F916U using Tapatalk
Rmkuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 12:22 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
The video won't play for me.
DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 07:24 PM   #3
barkeater46

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Played the vid...that sounds like compression pressure past the rings into the base. Are the rockers in place? A engine without valves opening will turn over(stiff) and will leak a lot of compression into crankcase. Worn/high mileage engine may have compression leakage too. Oil leakage when turning might be normal if stuff removed and pan still full. Disclaimer : I'm not a expert modern gas engine guy, but have spent 40 year under heavy diesels , for what it's worth.
barkeater46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:03 PM   #4
Rmkuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater46 View Post
Played the vid...that sounds like compression pressure past the rings into the base. Are the rockers in place? A engine without valves opening will turn over(stiff) and will leak a lot of compression into crankcase. Worn/high mileage engine may have compression leakage too. Oil leakage when turning might be normal if stuff removed and pan still full. Disclaimer : I'm not a expert modern gas engine guy, but have spent 40 year under heavy diesels , for what it's worth.
Yeah rockers are still on. As far as I know....guess it would be worth pulling the valve covers and checking the lash before proceeding with removing oil pump, phaser etc... even though there is no noise. Need to do that to fine d TDC anyway. I'm thinking it's the phaser or the silinoid stuck throwing the timing off.

Old 08-19-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
barkeater46

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Just a couple "out of the box" thoughts...Are the cam/crank position sensors depth sensitive i.e. shimmed to a specific mounting depth ? If any covers that mount sensors have been apart, the shim thickness might need to be changed to achieve correct sensor depth.
Also, a worse thought, depending on how the sensors are positioned to the cam/crank, if they are axial(in line lengthwise) with the cam/crank, and if thrust bearings are worn it will make the sensor(s) read wrong or intermittent because the cam/crank move fore/aft changing the sensor depth. A few 1/1000" can change position sensor behavior ! Just some thoughts.
barkeater46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:14 PM   #6
Rmkuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkeater46 View Post
Just a couple "out of the box" thoughts...Are the cam/crank position sensors depth sensitive i.e. shimmed to a specific mounting depth ? If any covers that mount sensors have been apart, the shim thickness might need to be changed to achieve correct sensor depth.
Also, a worse thought, depending on how the sensors are positioned to the cam/crank, if they are axial(in line lengthwise) with the cam/crank, and if thrust bearings are worn it will make the sensor(s) read wrong or intermittent because the cam/crank move fore/aft changing the sensor depth. A few 1/1000" can change position sensor behavior ! Just some thoughts.
Just checked alldatadiy the sensors need to be within .20 of the reluctor wheel it should be well within that.

Did not think about the bearings hope that's not the case.

I did find when removing the cam phaser it was very difficult to remove. When I put the new one on I had to adjust the cam so I'm fairly certain the phaser was stuck in an advanced or retarded position. The silinoid was also clogged with locktite. Hope this was the issue....

Just got done using my Borocam to inspect pistons for PVC. They look ok thank goodness. Now I'm fighting this damn oilpump.