Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-10-2022, 03:48 PM   #1
ICUP

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Realistic HP rating on long block.

I’m looking at some of Thompson Motorsports combos, and they have packages that will have 800hp rating, 900hp, 1100hp rating etc. Whats the highest hp can you technically run with these?

Say I do their 6.0 370, which is 800hp rated. I then end up doing 1000whp on a larger blower setup in the future. Will it technically handle the power?
ICUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 12:23 PM   #2
BiggFoot

Drives: 2010 Camaro (M6) 1000+ HP SBE
I see you are fairly new to the Forum, so I don't want to just leave you hanging, but maybe the lack of response is because your question is not easily answered. There are a lot of variables associated with a block handling the power you throw at it such as tune, fuel, quality of other components, driving style, maintenance, and honestly, a bit of luck.

There are a number of guys here running Thompson Motorsports engines and they seem quite happy with their setups. I am sure Thompson has some reasoning behind their ratings and they would be happy to discuss various options with you.

Speaking strictly from my experience, tune and fuel quality are probably two of the most important things to get right for engine longevity, but surely not the only things.

I am sure some of the other guys will chime in so be patient with them.

Welcome to the Forum and have fun on your journey in search of horsepower!
Kooks LT Headers and full 3" exhaust
Fore Triple Pump Fuel System with ID 1700X Injectors - E85 conversion

DSS 9” Conversion (1400 hp axles, driveshaft, pumpkin) & Strange 3.70 gears
McLeod RXT Twin HD Clutch & Upgraded Slave
RPM Level VII
TR6060
BMR Drag Suspension Package w/Strange shocks
Carlyle 15" and M/T ET Street R radials
10.1 @ 143 mph 1/4 mile

BiggFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 06:53 PM   #3
ICUP

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Ive done my fair research on the parts that TMS puts in. K1 crank/rods seems like they’re good up to 1500hp, but yet again there’s different part #s.

I actually had a chance to speak with them, and it seems like they’re just reading off their site. :/
ICUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 04:26 PM   #4
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Often ratings make little sense.

A standard GM motor might be rated at 450hp or whatever....many have pushed them far beyond this

However....a rating at say 1000hp in a 3000lb vehicle that only runs 1/8th mile etc....is a far cry from say a 4000lb vehicle running standing miles or serious track/circuit work.

And equally doing it on pump fuel, vs full on race fuel is very different.

So be realistic about your goals, your needs and what you will really be doing with it

Although have to say...although many use them, the K1 rods just look very skinny.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:19 PM   #5
eLeSthree

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUP View Post
I’m looking at some of Thompson Motorsports combos, and they have packages that will have 800hp rating, 900hp, 1100hp rating etc. Whats the highest hp can you technically run with these?

Say I do their 6.0 370, which is 800hp rated. I then end up doing 1000whp on a larger blower setup in the future. Will it technically handle the power?

Most engine ratings are at the crank. Making 1000whp on a belt spun blower on an 800 crank HP rated motor probably isnt a great idea. Then again, myself and others have pushed a stock ls3 longblock well into 900whp range and beyond without damage. If you want to race it alot and keep it reliable, you should be under your engines HP rating. But you know that.

Send it. Its only money.

2010 CTS-V A6 - "Stock"
eLeSthree is offline   Reply With Quote