Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
convert

Drives: the Camaro as often as possible
What crossover for subs?

I've got an amp without a built-in low pass crossover that I'm planning to use to drive 2 12" subs. Any ideas on a good crossover for it? Amazon turns up things like $18 Pyramid CR66, and the almost identical looking Legacy LXR1 and Pyle PLXR2. Or, for $25, it looks like I could go with inline FMOD crossover pair which don't require any additional wiring, but I'm not sure of their effectiveness, or which frequency to pick (I'll be running 2 old 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch subs, and the box will probably be tuned for around 40hz).

The last time I did car audio crossovers were not so cheap so I'm nervous about these! Any suggestions?
convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Topdown
The wait is over!

Drives: 2010 Camaro, IOM, L99, Auto
I cross my subs below 80hz, typically between 50 - 63hz.

FMod's are fairly effective, just not adjustable, so they can make it hard to blend subs with mids... your best bet is to get an external crossover.

There are lots of options for crossovers... Arc audio, AudioControl, Audison, etc... I definitely would avoid the Pyramid and pyle pieces unless your really strapped for cash... in which case I would recommend looking for a used old-school crossover like a coustic MX-3e or an old phoenix gold MX2 (or mx3). heck, you can even find the EQ215x's from the 90's (phoenix gold) for relatively cheap on craigslist these days.

I notice your from Kent Wa, I am here in Camas Wa... Audiocontrol is made here in Wa-State, which makes them one of my personal first choices.

AlphaDamp CLD Mat - Get more Sound Deadening with less Sound Deadener
Topdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
convert

Drives: the Camaro as often as possible
Thanks for the advice. I wish I had found my old-skool crossover along with my amps (Soundstream D200 II, etc.). That would have made this much easier! I'll keep an eye out for the ones you mentioned.
convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:33 AM   #4
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topdown View Post
I cross my subs below 80hz, typically between 50 - 63hz.

FMod's are fairly effective, just not adjustable, so they can make it hard to blend subs with mids... your best bet is to get an external crossover.

There are lots of options for crossovers... Arc audio, AudioControl, Audison, etc... I definitely would avoid the Pyramid and pyle pieces unless your really strapped for cash... in which case I would recommend looking for a used old-school crossover like a coustic MX-3e or an old phoenix gold MX2 (or mx3). heck, you can even find the EQ215x's from the 90's (phoenix gold) for relatively cheap on craigslist these days.

I notice your from Kent Wa, I am here in Camas Wa... Audiocontrol is made here in Wa-State, which makes them one of my personal first choices.

If you don't mind used, I believe I have a crossover network lying around I'd let go of cheap. I'll have to look later today, when I'm home, lol.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
If you are still needing this, pm me. I have two different crossovers lying around. One just for subs, and another for 3 way system.