Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-25-2020, 07:58 PM   #1
leemozoid

Drives: '15 Silverado LTZ & '13 ZL1 ragtop
Factory intercooler pump question

Has anyone ever seen a pump that has come loose from the mounting bracket while the bracket is still attached to the cross member and the rubber dampener around the pump is still fully intact? I was installing my repaired expansion tank today and as I was attaching the hose to the pump it seemed very loose. It was half out of the bracket, which I believe is part of the original pump assembly.

I'm going to replace the pump since I see no way to replace the bracket onto the pump. Is an OEM pump sufficient or is aftermarket preferred?
leemozoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
You should be able to bolt it back down unless the bracket itself broke. The oem pump is decent on the ZL1. I believe it's an upgrade for the CTSV guys.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #3
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Sponsored by: ZL1, CTSV, ZR1 and other intercooler pump flow test results

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemozoid View Post
Has anyone ever seen a pump that has come loose from the mounting bracket while the bracket is still attached to the cross member and the rubber dampener around the pump is still fully intact? I was installing my repaired expansion tank today and as I was attaching the hose to the pump it seemed very loose. It was half out of the bracket, which I believe is part of the original pump assembly.

I'm going to replace the pump since I see no way to replace the bracket onto the pump. Is an OEM pump sufficient or is aftermarket preferred?

The ZL1 pump is very good.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-results.html
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
leemozoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
You should be able to bolt it back down unless the bracket itself broke. The oem pump is decent on the ZL1. I believe it's an upgrade for the CTSV guys.
I see no way to get the bracket back on the pump without taking either the bracket or pump apart. Both appear to have been manufactured as a complete assembly. I think I'm just going to replace the old pump with a new OEM. Thanks for the replies.

Steven
Old 03-26-2020, 09:13 PM   #5
Vicster
1000hp is NEVER Enough!

Drives: 13' ZL1
PICS

Quote:
I see no way to get the bracket back on the pump without taking either the bracket or pump apart. Both appear to have been manufactured as a complete assembly. I think I'm just going to replace the old pump with a new OEM. Thanks for the replies.

Steven
Pictures would be a great help to see what you are dealing with.
Vicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:48 PM   #6
LevonH
Chevy Enthusiast.

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1 Summit White
Looks like the bracket simply expands to go around the pump???

https://static.summitracing.com/glob....jpg?rep=False

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/attac...1&d=1340803782

And this Thread has good info:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255716

Levon H. Bone Stock
LevonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:51 PM   #7
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:

Steven
That pump is is in a very protected place not sure how something could get at it to break the bracket, assuming the lower arrow cover is on, or you have never broken a SERP or SC belt. I once broke my tensioner on the SC and it let go at the light. Had I been in it the bracket probably would have come through the hood.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:07 PM   #8
leemozoid

Bottom line was that nothing was broken. The crossmember mount was in place and intact. The ring that surrounded the pump was intact and unbroken as was the rubber dampener. The manner in which the pump was able to become loosened from that ring is unknown. So, I replaced the whole assembly.