Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 09-16-2010, 10:07 AM   #1
Adrian5

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
Voice Bluetooth calling sucks???

Yesterday when I was driving I wanted to call Home so I tried to call. Here is a dialogue:

Car said: Ready
I said: Call
Car said: Call with BB9700, say the name or number you want to call
I said: Home
Car said: did you say Help, say yes or no
I said: No
Car said: please try again
I said: Home
Car said: sorry number or name not recognized

This happend like 5 times and I can never get this thing to work :(. My Home number is labeled Home in my blackberry so I don't know why its not recognizing it. Has anyone had any luck getting this to work? I don't even want to think about how hard it is to say a full number and get it to recognize what you said.
Adrian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
You have to setup the directory on the Camaro. It can not access the voice tags on your cell phone.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
This is a big pet peeve of mine too. You have to go in and program the car for each number you want to be able to call by name. Lame. So far I've only done home.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
What happened to the good old days where everyone just memorized the phone numbers of people. We've become so dependent on cell phone technology that we can't just tell our cars to "Call 555-555-5555" anymore?

Heck, I can't even remember my own sister's phone number but I've got it in my cell phone...
Old 09-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
zen

Drives: 2011 CTS CPE & 2010 2LT/RS CGM
If you want to use Bluetooth, you have to say Bluetooth after you say Call, otherwise you are using Onstar with a seperate phone list.
zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #6
Gigachip
Runs on Starbucks

Drives: 2012 SVT Raptor
Send a message via AIM to Gigachip
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
What happened to the good old days where everyone just memorized the phone numbers of people. We've become so dependent on cell phone technology that we can't just tell our cars to "Call 555-555-5555" anymore?

Heck, I can't even remember my own sister's phone number but I've got it in my cell phone...
haha I remember those days
Heck, I still have my friends from 2nd grade house number memorized. But now I cant remember any friends number unless its in my phone.
Gigachip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
Adrian5

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
Perfect that explains everything.

Thanks a lot!
Adrian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #8
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zen View Post
If you want to use Bluetooth, you have to say Bluetooth after you say Call, otherwise you are using Onstar with a seperate phone list.
As long as my phone is with me and turned on it automatically pairs with the car's system and says, 'Connecting using Cell' Which is the name I gave when I first set it up. The only time it's ever tried with Onstar is if my phone is shut off. Never had to say 'bluetooth'. Maybe this happens if not initially setup?

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
This is a tough one...my wife does software engineering for an automotive subvendor. Things like bluetooth connectivity and recognizing address books of cell phones is not very easy to do, even though there are standards for such things. My original gripe was that the Mercedes A Class hatchback I drove as a rental in Europe would be able to read the phone list right off of my blue tooth phone - but my Camaro can not. Her response was to the effect that part of the reason a Mercedes costs more is because they do the work (and therefore have to pay their employees) to actually be able to work with all of the different variations of phones and address books out there. It can be done, it just takes time, and time is $$$. Those $$$ then come out of our pockets.

I'm curious how well Sync works for the Fords. Actually, I was surprised that the Camaro had any voice recognition capabilities. I didn't find that out until I read the manual.

It's true on another front too. I once interviewed someone who did computer numerical analysis for one of the higher end car manufacturers. He studied the shape of the defrost vents on the dash...I can't believe that a car company would pay a subcontractor to do such a study...but, you get what you pay for, I guess.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
KeepItGreasey
So It'll Go Down Easy

Drives: Camaro SS/RS
luckily, it's not illegal to "dial" your phone while driving here... you just can't hold the phone up to your ear with your hand.
KeepItGreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Johnnyma45
Former Camaro Owner

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItGreasey View Post
luckily, it's not illegal to "dial" your phone while driving here... you just can't hold the phone up to your ear with your hand.
...when in fact, it's the act of dialing which causes the most distraction, I read somewhere.

I love the BT in this car - maybe it's because the cabin is smaller but it works so much better than my Altima did, even with windows down going 70. My gripe is with Onstar menus - why can't it just re-route me directly, without asking me to prompt each time?
Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM   #12
tangorover

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT Summit White
Actually the issue seems to be the word "Home" Change it to something else. Thats what I did. I now use "Garage" instead of home and havent had an issue yet.
tangorover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #13
The Viz

Drives: Everything
I've had the same gripe for years with GM products. I also sell Nissans, and even the lowly Versa and Sentra read your phones phonebook through the bluetooth

"God help the child who grows out of everything"
The Viz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #14
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viz View Post
I've had the same gripe for years with GM products. I also sell Nissans, and even the lowly Versa and Sentra read your phones phonebook through the bluetooth
I guess I stand corrected...