Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 08-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #1
redriverchevy

Drives: 2007 Chevy Silverado
Piece behind t-tops peeling

Hello,

I am about to purchase a 2002 Camaro ss. I have a question about replacing the piece behind the t-tops. Someone told me that the paint peeling was a problem that this car encountered for that body style. I was wondering if any one could give me some advice as to how I can replace it with out spending alot of money or can it be repainted. I am a dealership employee so i have already talked to my body shop manager and he told me it could not be repainted. I hope that is not the case. All responses are greatly apprecieated.

Thank you,

Nick
redriverchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
You'll have to be a little more descriptive than your post. Are you talking about the roof bar that goes from one side to the other, or are you talking about the little rubber pieces that go at either end of the t-bar itself? If you are actually talking about the roof bar, the correct way would be to remove it, resurface it, then refinish it, however, that would involve cutting it off, then urethaning it back on. If you were to do it that way, you would probably spend near $400-$500 at a bodyshop that knows what it's doing, at least in my area (rates are around $80/hr.) You could paint it on the car, however, overspray is a huge concern and you may not be able to cleanly refinish all surfaces, leaving edges looking pretty crappy. You'll save a lot of money doing it this way, but as is with most things, you get what you pay for.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Nick!

If you're referring to the roof-bar, located behind the t-tops, there is a TSB showing the repair for "bubbling paint".

I have a copy of it I could send to you if you need it.

And as for your body man at the dealer telling you in cannot be fixed....B.S.!!!

Mine showed signs of a few "bubbles", and with the help of a GM factory rep., and my dealer, it was repaired and looks great!

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by redriverchevy View Post
Hello,

I am about to purchase a 2002 Camaro ss. I have a question about replacing the piece behind the t-tops. Someone told me that the paint peeling was a problem that this car encountered for that body style. I was wondering if any one could give me some advice as to how I can replace it with out spending alot of money or can it be repainted. I am a dealership employee so i have already talked to my body shop manager and he told me it could not be repainted. I hope that is not the case. All responses are greatly apprecieated.

Thank you,

Nick
It can be repainted, but that won't fix the problem. It will just blister again. To fix it you need to remove that piece and scrape out all the adhesive that held it on, apply the new formula adhesive and a new panel.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:08 PM   #5
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txturbo View Post
It can be repainted, but that won't fix the problem. It will just blister again. To fix it you need to remove that piece and scrape out all the adhesive that held it on, apply the new formula adhesive and a new panel.
Exactly. The TSB remedies the problem by replacing the panel.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:38 PM   #6
Raven

Drives: 2001 Z28
My Camaro was in the shop for a full repaint and the guy told me he could fix it even tho I INSISTED that it needed to be replace. Damn thing only had the new paint on it about a month before it started to bubble again. Luckily it was still at his shop so he knew it was nothing I did and I got to say "I told you so!" Rip it off and replace it...it'll save you a lot of headache in the end.
If you are buying this car and aren't the original owner, you are going to have a hell of a time trying to get that replaced under the TSB. We have several cars that we have tried to get it done on and no one wants to screw with it, especially since all those cars are at least 6 years old now.
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven View Post
. We have several cars that we have tried to get it done on and no one wants to screw with it, especially since all those cars are at least 6 years old now.
I had a similar problem; my SS was out of warranty at the time of the problem.

I visited my dealer first and explained that the date of the TSB was well after my SS's warranty expired. I also contacted a GM factory rep., who was GREAT to deal with! The factory rep. contacted the body shop mgr. at the dealer I was using, and I was able to get the problem resolved.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
AnEvilPenguin

Drives: 05 Impala SS 86 Trans Am
Can someone put up a picture of the panel or even better a picture of some bubbling paint on this panel? I am looking at buying a 2002 SOM Trans Am and would really like to know what to look for in this case, I have heard alot of people saying that this has happened to their 4th gen, but I'm still not 100% sure what it looks like. also, what makes the paint bubble up? thanks guys
AnEvilPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
its the targa pnl

kinda like the shoulders of the car. goes from one side to the other right where the rear hatch hinges mount
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

this
Attached Images

Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #11
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEvilPenguin View Post
Can someone put up a picture of the panel or even better a picture of some bubbling paint on this panel? I am looking at buying a 2002 SOM Trans Am and would really like to know what to look for in this case, I have heard alot of people saying that this has happened to their 4th gen, but I'm still not 100% sure what it looks like. also, what makes the paint bubble up? thanks guys
The problem is the adhesive that was used to glue the panel on at the assembly plant. Its not completely compatible with the fiberglass panel and after a couple of years either gas or something from the adhesive begins to seep through the fiberglass and causes the paint to bubble. You will only find the bubbles in the paint along the front and rear edges of the panel where the adhesive makes contact on the other side.Only way to stop it is to remove the panel and get that adhesive out of there. There may be another option, but I haven't tried it yet. My idea is to strip the panel down to bare fiberglass, then paint with POR-15, then Tie-coat primer,then epoxy primer,then topcoat it. If the POR-15 will stick and dry, I think it won't be effected by the stuff that causes the paint to bubble.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #12
AnEvilPenguin

Thank you camarospike23 and txturbo, you have enlightened me I just have two questions, does this problem pop up on all the 4th gen f-bodies? or only certain years? And finally is it only a percentage of f-bodies within that category of cars that this happens to? (luck of the draw? ) Or over-time will all of the cars within the 4th gen f-body lineup eventually have the death by bubbles?
Old 08-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #13
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnEvilPenguin View Post
Thank you camarospike23 and txturbo, you have enlightened me I just have two questions, does this problem pop up on all the 4th gen f-bodies? or only certain years? And finally is it only a percentage of f-bodies within that category of cars that this happens to? (luck of the draw? ) Or over-time will all of the cars within the 4th gen f-body lineup eventually have the death by bubbles?
its kinda like the opti on the LT1s, its hit or miss. my 94 Z doesnt have the bubly paint, but ive got a friend with one whos is nasty bubbling, tho he's in the process of stripping the car down and repainting it. at one time, i thought it might have been location but ive seen cars all over that have it and ones that are the same age or older that dont. just depends

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 08-30-2008, 06:16 AM   #14
AnEvilPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
its kinda like the opti on the LT1s, its hit or miss.

Well, that explains it then lol, thanks again for the responses