Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-08-2018, 09:39 AM   #29
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPM View Post
The 1LE tires are a problem if the temp drops below 20; they can crack. I’m in Texas and haven’t been able to get it out of the garage many mornings because of this. Next fall I’ll probably be investing in a second set of wheels, since properly fitting the stock rear wheels with winters or all-seasons is impossible. Otherwise, I think it’s a pretty good DD, and it’s a heck of a lot of fun.
I'm in Oklahoma near OKC and have had my 1LE out most of the season. The OEM tires dont just crack if its 20° outside. If it is 30° or more outside when I leave for work and it is going to be dry I take the 1LE. Heck I drive mine in the rain all the time as I prefer to clean it up over having to wash my crew cab truck.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #30
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
I dont buy into the "blind spots" of "visibility" thing either. It really done comes down to adjusting your mirrors correctly. Too many times I have looked in peoples car and the center rearview mirror is adjust incorrectly, the side mirrors are pushed in way too far.

Sure, the Camaro doesnt have massive large oversized mirrors like my 2016 crew cab Sierra, but its mirrors and windows work very well for its size. Provided people set the mirrors up correctly.

My inside rearview mirror is centered with the back glass in it, I have equal sides of car on the left/right sides and the top/bottom is centered as well. My outside mirrors are pushed pretty far out, I cant see the rear of my car at all in my mirrors unless I lean over to either side a fair amount.

I tend to use cars stopped beside me as a gauge, I use a car right at the back of my bumper and to either side as a starting point, then adjust once I am driving. I can see a car anywhere down either side of my car and directly behind me with no issues.

I have been driving GM performance vehicles since 1990 with my 3rd gen Camaro. I've owned 4 F-body's, a 2006 GTO, 2009 G8 GXP and a 2008 Corvette. Never had a problem with blind spots in any of those vehicles.

Just have to take the time to set the mirrors correctly and also make sure to look over your shoulders. Too many people now only use the mirrors and dont look over their shoulders. They assume just because they put on their blinker (if they even use them, seems to be a dying feature of use) that they are good to go.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 11:27 AM   #31
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
With a take off set of SS wheels and brand new G-Max AS-05 all seasons I daily mine. I keep the OEM wheels and tires for summer only and track use. They wear pretty quickly if you don't stay on top of your alignment religiously. I managed about 11k miles out of my first OE set but my second only lasted 5k because of a toe issue. Thats when I picked up the alternate set of wheels with TPMS and purchased the new All seasons for a total of about $1100 installed. With a $19 tpms tool from amazon I can simply swap wheels in my garage and reprogram the tpms in about 30min-1hr start to finish.

Be sure to use the features of the car. It drives me nuts to see people pull the exhaust fuse instead of using track mode and stealth mode as needed. Same goes for the Mag Ride. So often I see people say they only ride around in sport mode instead of using the tour mode for softer daily commuting. This car does it all and has world class performance. I ordered my SS 1LE the first week they were available and took delivery 11/30/16. 18,000 miles later I still love the car as much as I did the day I took it home! Even "Grand Tour" it 1000k miles round trip to and from the Daytona Rolex 24 every year and surprisingly the wife and I find the seats very comfortable for the trip although she's not a fan of the lack of significant reclining in her seat.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #32
RacerX78

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
So I went to check out the local 1LE to confirm that "for me" the blind spots are something i could deal with. There are a few 1SS 1LEs with PDR that i'm currently looking at and will see if i can put a deal together tomorrow.

So we'll see.
RacerX78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:39 AM   #33
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX78 View Post
So I went to check out the local 1LE to confirm that "for me" the blind spots are something i could deal with. There are a few 1SS 1LEs with PDR that i'm currently looking at and will see if i can put a deal together tomorrow.

So we'll see.
You'll love the PDR! The car is still a huge bargain without PDR but I couldn't imagine not having it! One of my favorite features of the car!
Old 03-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #34
RacerX78

So I too the Nestea plunge and pickup a Silver Ice Metallic 1SS no PDR. Got a great deal and didn't have to travel to far. Took a 2hr drive back home on back country roads and it was a blast.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #35
RacerX78

Took the car for DD duties today with it about 32degrees out. Drive was good, and the car was comfortable in stop and go traffic. The blind spots are not a problem either, especially if you know where to look. The stock exhaust sounds really good (in track mode) but I do wonder if other exhaust like the Borla ATAK sounds aggressive under part throttle.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #36
RacerX78

Its ways frustrating having to wait for break in before you can really up the car up. Thankfully the LT1 has so much torque i really don't need to rev it out, But i'll can't wait till i can.

The cold start on the NPP exhaust is sooo good, i don't know if i'll need to replace it. The price for Axle and catbacks are not worth it to me.

There is an AutoX coming up in a couple weeks, sadly i can't play since i won't have enough miles on the car yet. I've got 1500mi before i can race.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:05 AM   #37
mjk3888
"M1SS1LE"

Quote:
Took the car for DD duties today with it about 32degrees out. Drive was good, and the car was comfortable in stop and go traffic. The blind spots are not a problem either, especially if you know where to look. The stock exhaust sounds really good (in track mode) but I do wonder if other exhaust like the Borla ATAK sounds aggressive under part throttle.
Try this.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...sound+tube+mod

I found this to greatly improve the induction noise. However you may not notice it as much since you aren't pushing it much yet. I only have this and secondary Cats deleted on my car and I find the sound to be just right, and I still have stealth mode functionality from the NPP.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:13 AM   #38
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Although mine isn't 1LE, I will share my experience with you. (mine is 16 2SS - 1LE wasn't available when I ordered mine)

I daily my Camaro and I HPDE the car. (14 track days last year)
I have 3 sets of wheels/tires although I really don't need the 3rd set.
1. 19" Apex w/ RE71R (for track) 2. 18" Sport edition w/ X-ice (for winter) 3. OEM wheels/tires (for street)

* Does it work as DD?
- Yes, it's one of the most enjoyable DD I've had. (I've had quite a few cars over the years) Not the easiest car or most luxurious, but fun for sure! If I were you, I would go with 2SS 1LE. (I want comfort features for DD)

* Does it work as track car?
- I had C6 (LS2) as track car/weekend toy. Although it "felt" faster on the track (sitting low, feeling more raw), Camaro SS was actually turning little faster lap time with identical tires (RS3). Comparing to Vette, it definitely felt taller and heavier, but once I got used to this car, it's very fun on track. 1LE would be even better.

* What would I do to track Camaro?
- Put on good tires (never tried 1LE's tires - heard they are pretty good), flush brake fluid, and go! I even like the OEM brake pads on 1LE (I've got 6 piston upfront like 1LE). They work pretty good on track and I don't have to swap out pads every single time I go to track.
I would keep it as stock as possible for obvious (warranty) reason.

* Is it reliable?
- Well, when you push your car real hard on track, things can go wrong. I've had some minor issues but since I followed every step GM required for track use, I've been covered. Nothing major.

* Would I recommend 1LE as DD/track day cars?
- YES!!!
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:17 AM   #39
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

After posting, I realized you picked one up already. Stupid me....
Congrats on your new car!

I have Borla Atak axle back. More grin every day!
Old 03-15-2018, 10:41 AM   #40
RacerX78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Try this.

I found this to greatly improve the induction noise. However you may not notice it as much since you aren't pushing it much yet. I only have this and secondary Cats deleted on my car and I find the sound to be just right, and I still have stealth mode functionality from the NPP.
Great, i will try that out today when i get home. My favorite mod on my STi was the Nameless axleback muffler deletes. It was only $300 and they sounded great, with not drone when cruising. So the cat delete may be the path i follow if i want to more aggressive exhaust. As much as i like the Borla ATAK system i'd only do that as part of a build for more power. Which right now i don't think i need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
After posting, I realized you picked one up already. Stupid me....
Congrats on your new car!

I have Borla Atak axle back. More grin every day!
No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymsu View Post
Although mine isn't 1LE, I will share my experience with you. (mine is 16 2SS - 1LE wasn't available when I ordered mine)

I daily my Camaro and I HPDE the car. (14 track days last year)
I have 3 sets of wheels/tires although I really don't need the 3rd set.
1. 19" Apex w/ RE71R (for track) 2. 18" Sport edition w/ X-ice (for winter) 3. OEM wheels/tires (for street)

* Does it work as DD?
- Yes, it's one of the most enjoyable DD I've had. (I've had quite a few cars over the years) Not the easiest car or most luxurious, but fun for sure! If I were you, I would go with 2SS 1LE. (I want comfort features for DD)

* Does it work as track car?
- I had C6 (LS2) as track car/weekend toy. Although it "felt" faster on the track (sitting low, feeling more raw), Camaro SS was actually turning little faster lap time with identical tires (RS3). Comparing to Vette, it definitely felt taller and heavier, but once I got used to this car, it's very fun on track. 1LE would be even better.

* What would I do to track Camaro?
- Put on good tires (never tried 1LE's tires - heard they are pretty good), flush brake fluid, and go! I even like the OEM brake pads on 1LE (I've got 6 piston upfront like 1LE). They work pretty good on track and I don't have to swap out pads every single time I go to track.
I would keep it as stock as possible for obvious (warranty) reason.

* Is it reliable?
- Well, when you push your car real hard on track, things can go wrong. I've had some minor issues but since I followed every step GM required for track use, I've been covered. Nothing major.

* Would I recommend 1LE as DD/track day cars?
- YES!!!
I did end up with a 1SS but i've not really missed the luxuries you get with the 2SS except the stereo ( Which i'll update later).

What tire setup are you running at the track? After i burn up the stock set of tires, I plan on getting some track rims and running a 305/30/20 squared setup. As far as daily and winter i'll be running a squared 285/35 set of A/S and Summer tires on the OEM rims.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:01 PM   #41
RacerX78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjk3888 View Post
Try this.

So I didn't want to waste the drive home, and decided to do some "light work" in the garage. I can say this mod works as advertised. Atleast on a M6 its a lot louder during medium to full throttle applications. When cruising and light acceleration you don't notice it.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #42
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Quote:
What tire setup are you running at the track? After i burn up the stock set of tires, I plan on getting some track rims and running a 305/30/20 squared setup. As far as daily and winter i'll be running a squared 285/35 set of A/S and Summer tires on the OEM rims.
If you are going to get a separate track rims to run square, why not go with 19 inch or even 18 inch? (my track wheels are 19, winter wheels are 18) It will get you more tire options at better prices.

I'm running 285/35/19 RE71R square setup - although it's bit shorter than OEM overall diameter, it works good. (your speedo is off little bit...)
I'm very happy with RE71R's performance, but I may try RS4 this year mainly because of short life of RE71R.