Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 05-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #57
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
I am not expert on the subject at all, but it basically seems like we're (U.S) feeding off the world's supply of oil before we really start tapping into our own reserves... then these major oil giants will charge the crap out of all these other countries that need the U.S as a major oil supplier. It seems very political too but maybe this is the long term goal to getting us out of our economic debt...

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #58
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Drives: 2010 yellow 1ss m6 -GM tech
Yup. He was a rough neck. Worked the same type of hours as you too. Never really seen him too much after.
My opinion is that why should we have to fix corporate mistakes of the past for our children of tomorrow? Let them fix it for they will be better educated to do so. What will they have to do if we do it for them?
I understand your reasoning but to the common people that make minimum wage that need to get to work to make ends meet, won't be able to hence the remark of recession. We all know when price of fuel goes up its a snowball effect with evrything down the road. Price of just transporting food has an adverse efffect in its own for average working people. Thats why the outcry.
Us with good paying jobs tend to forget how the rest of the world lives. A friend reminded me of that.
canadian ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #59
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by UT-Enginner View Post
I am not expert on the subject at all, but it basically seems like we're (U.S) feeding off the world's supply of oil before we really start tapping into our own reserves... then these major oil giants will charge the crap out of all these other countries that need the U.S as a major oil supplier. It seems very political too but maybe this is the long term goal to getting us out of our economic debt...
I heard the same over 20 years ago in high school. I think thats the plan.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #60
UT-Engineer
Just Cruisin'

Drives: 2010 Synergy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian ss View Post
I heard the same over 20 years ago in high school. I think thats the plan.
yea well i seriously hope this is not the case... the rise of oil and gas prices is having an adverse effect on a lot of other things.

UT-Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #61
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
Quote:
My opinion is that why should we have to fix corporate mistakes of the past for our children of tomorrow? Let them fix it for they will be better educated to do so. What will they have to do if we do it for them?
I understand your reasoning but to the common people that make minimum wage that need to get to work to make ends meet, won't be able to hence the remark of recession. We all know when price of fuel goes up its a snowball effect with evrything down the road. Price of just transporting food has an adverse efffect in its own for average working people. Thats why the outcry.
This reeks of self centeredness and entitlement.
It's typical for most Canadians. Most of my friends and neighbours are similar.
Let's push the problem to someone else so I can continue to live the good life in my muscle car for a few more years? Let's not think ahead more than the upcoming summer.
People on minimum wage in Canada deserve to burn as much cheap fuel as they want and have as much cheap fuel derived food as they want just ... because, I guess?
You need to travel the world a little bit. It will be quite the eye opener for you.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #62
Maddog78

Quote:
More misconception.
The great US hope, ANWR, even at the highest estimated reserve and it's only an estimate till they actually drill, would only supply the US for one year.
That's it. One year.
Throw in the unexplored offshore areas around the Gulf and Atlantic coasts and maybe get a year and a half more.
OK, so that's 2 and 1/2 years. What about after that?

Quote:
U.S. oil consumption is approximately 21,000,000 barrels per day (3,300,000 m3/d), yet domestic production is only 6 million barrels per day (950,000 m3/d). Hence, the majority of oil consumed in the United States must be imported
There are no projected reserves anywhere in the US that could hope to replace 15 million bpd of imports. That is only the break even to stop imports. There is no chance whatsoever the US will ever be a net exporter.

http://www.theoildrum.com/
http://peakoil.com/

I put these links up before but if you're serious about educating yourself there is a lot of good information on these sites.
Be careful though, you might not like what you learn.

Last edited by Maddog78; 05-11-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #63
canadian ss
Psycho on day pass

Reading theoildrum.com about oil companies making billions in revenue would probably tick alot of peole off. My question is why is billions in revenue needed for oil companies when we have people knocking on the door or making phone calls for charity to help fight disease or poverty? What are the oil big wigs making for income? Is it justified to take a multimillion dollar retirement or severance as we pay high prices at the pump? Maybe the oil companies should fix their own problems first before the public or our children do. This is not to say just for oil companies alone. Alot of things can be fixed "up top".
Old 05-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #64
Maddog78

Sigh...

The oildrum is not really interested in oil companies profits.
Read the mission statement.
I said you might not like what you read because people bluntly discuss the coming end of the oil age and it's implication for our North American society and the rest of the world.
Some of the conclusions and theories are not pleasant reeading for a generation or two (and I include mine of course) that has been spoiled on about 100 years of cheap energy that is coming to an end.

Quote:
Mission Statement
Conventional political, economic, and media institutions have yet to recognize energy’s role as a key contributor to society, and its importance as a driver for all of our physical processes and economic transactions. The Oil Drum seeks to facilitate civil, evidence-based discussions about energy and its impacts on the future of humanity, as well as serve as a leading online knowledge-base for energy-related topics.

Anyway, I'm done with this topic on a muscle car forum.
Some might educate themselves and understand what the future of energy will likely look like.
Others will just blame everything around them and continue to get angrier and angrier with no idea why it is happening or what to do about it.

I'll leave you with one more link.
Many people love to blame "big oil" for the high pump price.
This man looks at the issue in the US.
It's not as clear as many think.

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/7866#more

Last edited by Maddog78; 05-11-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #65
Mike Jung

Drives: '14 CRT Camaro SS Coupe
GTA gasoline price for tomorrow is around $1.349/L.

DOWN 6.2Ē/L.

Former G8 owner :(

RIP Sunday, Oct 6, '13
1 of 3,681 in Panther Black Metallic '09 Pontiac G8 GT (with L76 6.0L small block V8 engine & a 6L80 tranny)
1 of 970 '09 Pontiac G8 GT's in the country (Canada)
Mike Jung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #66
Maddog78

Quote:
My question is why is billions in revenue needed for oil companies when we have people knocking on the door or making phone calls for charity to help fight disease or poverty? What are the oil big wigs making for income? Is it justified to take a multimillion dollar retirement or severance as we pay high prices at the pump? Maybe the oil companies should fix their own problems first before the public or our children do. This is not to say just for oil companies alone. Alot of things can be fixed "up top".
btw, if you want to talk about corporate executives pay I agree, in many cases it's ridiculous.
Especially car company execs. (cough, cough, GM & Chrysler) who rode their companies to bankruptcy and gov't bailouts but still retired with sweet packages.
At least oil execs companies made profits.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:53 PM   #67
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrado View Post
Easy to say when your net worth is over 2 Million. Good on you, I don't begrudge hard working rich people, but to the rest of us, this is killing us. The economy is based on transportation and no matter what vehicle you drive, it is damn expensive to put gas in. It will effect the whole economy, people will have to stop spending in other areas and this is not good for the economic recovery. The government can lessen some of the ridiculous taxes on the gas to ease the pain, but of course, they do not care.
Quote:
If India and China want oil so bad, raise the price on them.
Secondly, if there was a crisis over oil beds, why aren't we all globally paying the same for fuel?
Third, North America seems to be hit more with fluctuating prices than most other countries? And why is Europe paying alot more for fuel?

We pay more because we are not third world. We probably won't revolt.
Europe pays more because of 4cyl. cars and the closest corner store is miles away.
Who is in charge of the oil? The middle east or North America? Doesn't make sense?
Why don't we have 1 grade of fuel like diesel? Now thats a money grab if I saw one.
Plus, Diesel is less refined than gas. Why does it cost more? Because of increase of trucks and flight?
This will certainly bring on yet another recession!!!!

We use to hear excuses from bad weather, pirates, middle east tension, Bin Laden, oil spills and so forth for oil price surges, nevermind the old winter gas/summer gas crap that oil companies are running out of bull!!!
We need stabilization and good bye to OPEC!!!!!!! (and the NWO- BINDERBERG'S)

Quote:
lets just all ride bicycles.... problem solved.
NO, too many bikes already in Toronto, and mostly riden by idiots who think they own the roads. When they get involved in collisions, they always blame the vehicle, but did they use the required had signals, and obey the rules of the road, as required by law? NO!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 PM   #68
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
we need to drill our own wells in alaska and stop all this crap.it's all political brain washing.and as usual,we sit back and let it happen.i am sick of hearing why the price of gas keeps going up.it is due to greed and corruption.when i was a kid,gas prices never changed.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #69
Maddog78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron10 View Post
we need to drill our own wells in alaska
See post above.
Do you know what ANWR stands for?

Quote:
when i was a kid,gas prices never changed.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #70
THUMPER20X
GM fix my PAINT U suck!

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS/RS 6Spd
Its funny, seeing the two sides. You have the conspiracy nuts on one side and the great corporate defenders on the other. You cant change the prices by not buying gas from one station and boycotting a number. And people defending the governments or the greedy corporations mostly have self interest in the subject so you're douche. This greed by one industry will single handedly collapse any economic recovery by strangling everything from boating to restaurants. I used to deal with a owner of several gas stations in the Kingston area. I'll dole out his initials. "BG" dont try fish for the name cuz I won't budge. The retail stations really don't make more or less if the prices fluctuate, they are paid per litre regardless of price. In fact these prices hurt the because they sell less. They make they're money, say 1.3 cents per litre regardless of price. The problem and greed lies in the 2 steps before the retail outlet, the distributor and the body that basically is pseudo government for the regulation of prices on a regional span ( This used to be individual station pricing but now prices are not set by the station but the controlling body this avoids the driving over to the other side of town to get cheaper gas. now you have to jump a region and the drive outweighs the savings. Pretty sneaky huh?) Anywayz you cant control the distribution part. HOWEVER the key here is the association that really jacks the price which they inflate through marketing research, rumors, stock market etc. Basically they combine all the factors and charge what they can get away with. Literally. Then when the price hits a boiling point they drop it just to keep us lemmings quiet. So as per my conversation with the owner of the stations who is just as pissed as you or I here is the for sure strategy. This does not include anything to do with the fuel so buy what you want where you want. Like a theatre, the movies really dont make the theatre the money the popcorn and crap does. At gas stations the smokes etc make the money. Trick is dont buy anything but gas. If you buy everything at a convenience store or whatever the stations wont make the money from them and they may make 1000 a day in fuel and thats not good for them. You'll strangle their income and if its is enough of an overall effort they as retail fuel outlets have the pull to put pressure on the price regulators and force them down. Also the rewards cards are 60% of the marketing costs in the gas so those are huge money makers for them as well, it's counter intuitive to never use them again but they only add to the price for everyone. Using those two things together will bring the prices down. It's not OPEC and the government wont do anything, especially here. This is no BS, this is a real guy who is close to m y family and if this would all start to happen he wouldnt hide in the shadows because its screwing everyone. It involves nothing more but a lil self discipline and not being lazy and just go buy drinks etc at a place other than a gas station. I know alot of people are lazy but this would be the only way to do it. It would work because the regulators would drop the price to entice people to buy from the retail outlets again. It would work for two reasons. The info is from a trusted person on the inside who as as much motivation as anyone in the general public. 2nd its simple, wont change your gas buying habits and economics dictates that these guys dont want to lose money.