Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #15
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
Has any one poped open the unit? They could have a chiped gear and the broke off part could be floating around binding up the gears from time to time. My 2008 G6 has this type of system and they are junk after 40000 mi. I know the unit on the ZL1 is a newer version but all new stuff has problems.
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsplumber View Post
I went to leave my home, making a turn slow and the steering locked up. it flashed a check power steering warning and i immediatlely braked to stop from crashing into a curb/pole. I shut it down and started back up and everything seemed fine again. Started to take off again and turn and it locked up again. So i turned around went back to the house and popped the hood. I didnt see anything, and couldn't hear anything so i left again. I drove about 5 miles to work in a straight line. First turn i go to take it locked up again. Thank god i was barely moving. I stopped revved the engine and it freed up. So i turned into work and parked. Took off a couple hours later and it did it again as soon as i went to turn. So i drove to the dealer 1 mile away, it locked up turning in there, so i left it there, and they have been working on it since yesterday. No word yet on the problem. They said there is a note in thier system to check a wire in the wiring harness for the power steering pump. All i have to say i thank god it only did it at slow speeds. Because at a high speed, i would have died. I could not move the wheels at all by hand without the pump working, and i am by no means a small guy. And i simply did not have the strength to move the wheel.

We really apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced and we are very glad that you are safe. I hate to hear that you felt you were at risk. Please know that your family’s safety is of utmost importance to Chevrolet. Once you get a resolution, please let us know!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 12-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
Godsplumber

Drives: 2012 ZL1,Victory Red
Ok, The dealer called me yesterday to pick up my car. They said the followed the wiring harness and checked the wire going to the power steering pump. They had a repair bulletin from GM telling them to disconnect the wiring harness from the power steering pump, clean and lubricate the wire ends with anti electrolysis lubricating grease and reinstall. They said they were able to duplicate my problem, the did the above steps and they could not duplicate my problem after the fix. So, they told me they were done and told me i could pick it up. I said "So, my steering goes out, you fix nothing and tell me its ok to take my high speed car that has steering problems and let you know if it happens again?!?" The service manager tells me that they are pretty sure its fixed but if i want to leave it with them for another day they will have the shop manager drive it around all night and day and see if it happens again. I decline this service and tell them i will test it myself. So far so good, but i have only driven 5miles since yesterday. I will keep everyone informed.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #18
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
WOW! Thats scary. Surely GM will look into this serios problem
E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Ok, The dealer called me yesterday to pick up my car. They said the followed the wiring harness and checked the wire going to the power steering pump. They had a repair bulletin from GM telling them to disconnect the wiring harness from the power steering pump, clean and lubricate the wire ends with anti electrolysis lubricating grease and reinstall. They said they were able to duplicate my problem, the did the above steps and they could not duplicate my problem after the fix. So, they told me they were done and told me i could pick it up. I said "So, my steering goes out, you fix nothing and tell me its ok to take my high speed car that has steering problems and let you know if it happens again?!?" The service manager tells me that they are pretty sure its fixed but if i want to leave it with them for another day they will have the shop manager drive it around all night and day and see if it happens again. I decline this service and tell them i will test it myself. So far so good, but i have only driven 5miles since yesterday. I will keep everyone informed.
Having the power assist drop out is a legitimate problem. Your editorial is a bit unfair.

They had a repair bulletin from GM telling them to disconnect the wiring harness from the power steering pump, clean and lubricate the wire ends with anti electrolysis lubricating grease and reinstall. They said they were able to duplicate my problem, the did the above steps and they could not duplicate my problem after the fix. So, they told me they were done and told me i could pick it up. I said "So, my steering goes out, you fix nothing and tell me its ok.......

They have checked with GM. They have followed the procedures. They have tested the car and found it to be working properly. That doesn't sound like nothing. If it were my car I would be as concerned as you are and wish you did not have to deal with this issue on your new Z. GM, Chevrolet and your Dealer will make sure you and your car are safe for the long haul.

For all those in the thread there is no steering system on any car sold in the USA that is steer by wire. All steering systems are required by law to operate with a failed power assist regardless of the type of assist. The steering in a ZL1 is mechanical. From the steering wheel to the rack it is hard mounted. Your ZL1 or SS will absolutely positively steer without the electric assist.

Another member mentioned to me that it is very possible many drivers on the road today have never driven a car or truck without power steering. That group of drivers have no idea what that feel like. Good point. Now would be a good time to find out. Find an empty parking. Get your Z rolling under power. Turn off the engine, but do not lock the steering column. Turn the steering wheel. You may grunt, but it will steer.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #20
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
also the steering wheels are alot smaller now because of power steering. I can tell you trying to man handle a big block chevelle ss that does not have power steering at parking speeds is tough even with a big steering wheel now put a small wheel on there not imposibble but very hard to steer at low speed but no problem at speed.
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #21
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I did the parking lot test with my SUV with electric steering out of curiosity.
Rolling along at higher speeds, still steered pretty easy. As it came near to a slow crawl, very hard to steer. Stopped, pretty much very very hard to turn. Felt pretty much the same as a hyd system, w/ no assist.

But that only assumes one failure mode, loss of power asssit. With a complex system, possibly umpteen different failure modes possible.

If they think it was a connector issue, I'd ask if they checked the individual pins - male and female for tightness. Dielectric grease is one thing, and smart to do to keep the connection clean... but is a bandaid if the actual problem was looseness. You do what is called a drag test with individual known good pins from a wiring repair kit. You push in new individual pins into the car's connector ends, and the "drag" should feel like a tight fitting pin. A loose one will feel obviously loose. A 4 or 8 or 12.... pin connector might snap together nicely, and look real clean. But one loose pin can be the bugger, and only one way to find it. If it was a good electrical technician doing the work, probably did it.... it's a basic pin drag test they would be doing all the time with intermittent electrical problems at connectors. Service manual directs you to do that to at each connector for an intermittent problem... clean, pin drag, dielectric grease... check the circuit continuity, and ground... then that's a full check and verifying of that circuit and connections. If the circuit wiring, connections, grounds check good, then you look at the component testing.

Good luck, hope all is well.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #22
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
in all honesty the service could work. I had an issue about 3 years in with my ram and the edge juice with attitude. thew a code it was the maf or injector connection if memory serves correctly. added dielectric grease to that connection and the rest. fast foward 5 years and it has not missed a beat since.

Not this does not mean that it will work in your case but in my case this approach so far has eliminated the issue. I may just do this to my ZL1 to as a CYA type thing.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
Godsplumber

Drives: 2012 ZL1,Victory Red
Ok, i drove it this weekend and only had one issue where i was crossing a small dip in the road where it seemed for just a split second like it locked up but i wasn't sure until this morning where i went to make a right hand turn at slow speed into a parking lot and it locked up again. i braked it freed up and i turned around and drove it to the dealer 5miles no problems and dropped it off. They had it for an hour before they called me and told me they found the problem and to come down and they would show me. It turns out that the positive battery terminal post under the plastic red cover was only finger tight. It must have been left loose by someone doing my mods. Which is why it would happen when i went over bumps or jarred it. Now, he said it may have been left loose by someone doing my mods but he told me to get a wrench and retighten it from time to time. So, some of you may want to check this and make sure it stays tight. Also, Russell James commented earlier that they should have checked the individual pins and they did, i asked them this today and he told me they did and found many that were loose, both with the power steering and the master cylinder, something everyone might want to check out too.

I will keep you informed if i have more problems.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #24
S8ER01Z

Drives: Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
For all those in the thread there is no steering system on any car sold in the USA that is steer by wire. All steering systems are required by law to operate with a failed power assist regardless of the type of assist. The steering in a ZL1 is mechanical. From the steering wheel to the rack it is hard mounted. Your ZL1 or SS will absolutely positively steer without the electric assist.
Despite this fact... I had a 2005 Pontiac G6 that did exactly what you claimed can't happen and I was far from the only one. Having owned several vehicles without power steering in the past I can assure you I know the difference between being unable to turn the wheel and it being 'difficult'. I remember hanging my entire body weight off the wheel and it not moving at all.

Hopefully they get this sorted out quickly, if memory serves numerous people wrecked with the G6 steering failures.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #25
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post
Despite this fact... I had a 2005 Pontiac G6 that did exactly what you claimed can't happen and I was far from the only one. Having owned several vehicles without power steering in the past I can assure you I know the difference between being unable to turn the wheel and it being 'difficult'. I remember hanging my entire body weight off the wheel and it not moving at all.
What was the mechanical cause of the steering failure on your 05 G6?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #26
DarkneZZ

Drives: '13 Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Ok, i drove it this weekend and only had one issue where i was crossing a small dip in the road where it seemed for just a split second like it locked up but i wasn't sure until this morning where i went to make a right hand turn at slow speed into a parking lot and it locked up again. i braked it freed up and i turned around and drove it to the dealer 5miles no problems and dropped it off. They had it for an hour before they called me and told me they found the problem and to come down and they would show me. It turns out that the positive battery terminal post under the plastic red cover was only finger tight. It must have been left loose by someone doing my mods. Which is why it would happen when i went over bumps or jarred it. Now, he said it may have been left loose by someone doing my mods but he told me to get a wrench and retighten it from time to time. So, some of you may want to check this and make sure it stays tight. Also, Russell James commented earlier that they should have checked the individual pins and they did, i asked them this today and he told me they did and found many that were loose, both with the power steering and the master cylinder, something everyone might want to check out too.

I will keep you informed if i have more problems.
wow, that's crazy.
DarkneZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:38 PM   #27
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
I have heard first hand of a few cases where there is a malfunction in the power assist on a vehicle (not a Camaro, but others, some of the older saginaw boxes) that causes the steering to hard over in one direction and lock. something in the valving in the power steering box. So it can happen.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneZZ View Post
wow, that's crazy.
What are the individual pins? Never heard of that..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote