Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-06-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Chrysler Ordering Rare Pre-Production Vipers to be Destroyed

http://wot.motortrend.com/1403_chrys...destroyed.html

Quote:
"No take-backs." It's a schoolyard philosophy that still holds merit even in our adult lives. And it especially rings true when the thing being taken back is going to be destroyed, and that thing is a pre-production version of the original Dodge Viper. 1992 Dodge Viper Coupe Prototype South Puget Sound Community College Group Shot That's exactly what's at stake for South Puget Sound Community College in Olympia, Washington, according to local news station King 5. The Dodge Viper caught in the middle of the custody battle is a pre-production 1992 Dodge Viper, which Chrysler gave to the school for educational purposes seven years ago. Now, reports are circulating that Chrysler is ordering its entire Viper educational fleet be destroyed. South Puget Sound has good reason to be worried, as videos showing the destruction of Viper prototypes numbers one and two were posted to YouTube a few months ago. The community college is in possession of Viper number four. In the videos, which don't offer much info besides "we had to destroy this dodge viper" in the description, you see two perfectly good-looking Viper coupes being torn apart by an excavator. Word of warning to Viper fans: it's not pretty. 1992 Dodge Viper Coupe Prototype Front Three Quarter At South Puget Sound Community College 2 But Chrysler may have justifiable reasons for taking back the sports cars. According to the Seattle Times, Chrysler said in an email that two Vipers from the educational fleet "got loose" and were involved in accidents costing Fiat-Chrysler millions. The Vipers, being pre-production cars, aren't street-legal, so keeping the cars around could be a potential liability for the automaker. Still, there are plenty of pre-production cars in the hands of private collectors that haven't been sentenced to death by their creators. Speaking of collectors, TV personality and avid car guy Jay Leno reportedly tried to buy Viper number four from Chrysler in the '90s, but was turned down. The car is valued at $250,000, according to the Seattle Times. There is a petition to save the educational Vipers organized by the faculty and students of South Puget Sound Community College. You can sign the petition here. UPDATE: A Chrysler representative has gotten back to us with a statement. "Approximately 10 years ago, Chrysler Group donated a number of Dodge Viper vehicles to various trade schools for educational purposes. As part of the donation process, it is standard procedure -- and stipulated in our agreements -- that whenever vehicles are donated to institutions for education purposes that they are to be destroyed when they are no longer needed for their intended educational purposes. With advancements in automotive technology over the past decade, it is unlikely that these vehicles offer any educational value to students. Chrysler Group fully understands and appreciates the historical significance of the Viper and is very active in preserving many of its legendary models and designs for historic purposes, however, none of these vehicles fit into this category." The automaker also disputes prior reports that two donated Vipers were involved in accidents: "Chrysler Group has no record of any legal proceedings involving pre-production Dodge Viper vehicles donated to educational institutions being involved in accidents and product liability lawsuits." We also spoke with Norm Chapman, automotive technology professor at South Puget Sound Community College, who told us that the email from Chrysler was received this past Tuesday. The email requested that the college destroy the car and submit proof within two weeks. Chapman confirmed that the car is indeed a 1992 pre-production Viper hardtop, which makes the loss of the first two cars even more heartbreaking as a Viper coupe didn't go on sale until the 1996 Dodge Viper GTS model. Chapman also verified that the destruction of donated cars (especially pre-production models) is common practice in the world of automotive education. In his 27 years of teaching, Chapman has sent dozens of cars to the crusher, but none have been quite as special as the Viper. The car has served as a mascot of sorts for South Puget Sound's automotive technology program, used to promote the school at various events. Chapman says he hopes the petition and internet outcry can persuade Chrysler to spare the Viper (suggesting it could be donated to a museum), but he will make arrangements with a scrapyard in the meantime, per the original agreement. "I don't want to be the one to take it," he said. "It's like putting down a family pet."
Meanwhile we have GM spending a ton of money trying to get their historical vehicles out of a sinkhole

Petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/393/1...ve-the-vipers/
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
That's crazy but I can see why Chrysler wants the vipers back!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:14 PM   #3
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
http://wot.motortrend.com/1403_chrys...destroyed.html

Meanwhile we have GM spending a ton of money trying to get their historical vehicles out of a sinkhole

Petition: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/393/1...ve-the-vipers/
The one difference is: those cars in the sinkhole are owned and controlled by GM. That Viper could easily get taken for a joy ride if someone is momentarily stupid with the keys.

Chrysler/Fiat don't want that kind of liability. Now IF Chrysler/Fiat had this on display in their own facilities and decided to crush them that would be different.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Oil Guy View Post
The one difference is: those cars in the sinkhole are owned and controlled by GM. That Viper could easily get taken for a joy ride if someone is momentarily stupid with the keys.

Chrysler/Fiat don't want that kind of liability. Now IF Chrysler/Fiat had this on display in their own facilities and decided to crush them that would be different.
If they're worried about liability, then take the cars back and put them on display in a museum. I doubt that the college would have an issue with this. The issue is that they're taking a piece of history and destroying it because Chrysler is too busy worrying about liability instead of making cars that aren't garbage.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
S3XPanther
by Odeon

Drives: '12 SS/RS A6 IOM SOLD, '13 1LE IOM
I can't tell you how f****** frustrated this makes me. Every time a manufacturer orders either prototypes or educational models to be destroyed, I scratch my head at their logic. If I was an executive in charge of such destruction, I would rather have the cars sold at auction, with all proceeds going to various charities. In the case of prototypes, they can simply have the soon-to-be owner sign a waiver eliminating all liability (even if the vehicle isn't exactly up to DOT standards). There are collectors that would pay serious $$$$$ for such vehicles, even if they aren't street legal. There so much money on the table that can be used for so much good.

"Some say it's a waste of time, others say it's an incredible waste of time."

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

2013 IOM SS/RS - 1LE. Born 5/6/2013 (1 of 32 1SS IOM 1LE's)
S3XPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
If they're worried about liability, then take the cars back and put them on display in a museum. I doubt that the college would have an issue with this. The issue is that they're taking a piece of history and destroying it because Chrysler is too busy worrying about liability instead of making cars that aren't garbage.
I believe Chrysler closed their museum last year.

That said, GM has something like 1500 vehicles in their heritage collection, including a number of concept cars & prototypes that could never be sold to the public. I think they store most of them in a couple of warehouses around Detroit, with a third building housing a portion of the collection is open to special groups.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #7
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
I can't tell you how f****** frustrated this makes me. Every time a manufacturer orders either prototypes or educational models to be destroyed, I scratch my head at their logic. If I was an executive in charge of such destruction, I would rather have the cars sold at auction, with all proceeds going to various charities. In the case of prototypes, they can simply have the soon-to-be owner sign a waiver eliminating all liability (even if the vehicle isn't exactly up to DOT standards). There are collectors that would pay serious $$$$$ for such vehicles, even if they aren't street legal. There so much money on the table that can be used for so much good.
It's been discussed to hell and back here. Even with waivers, there's too much liability.

A few people on this site tried to get GM to sell them the 5th gen IVERs and were promptly told "no."
Old 03-06-2014, 11:39 PM   #8
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I wish something could be done with these cars , other than crushing them, but in our present legal system the liability is just too great. They should use them all to do a boy band death race for charity. I would pay $100 to see Justin Bieber trapped and burning on the turn 4 wall.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:36 PM   #9
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by S3XPanther View Post
Can't count on a collector to never drive it. And by that I mean ever drive it. Not even down the driveway. It's not controlled. Who signs if the collector sells the car?

This is the same reason GM collected and destroyed all the EV1s. I heard one in Canada that somehow escaped was recently sold for big $$ though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I believe Chrysler closed their museum last year.

That said, GM has something like 1500 vehicles in their heritage collection, including a number of concept cars & prototypes that could never be sold to the public. I think they store most of them in a couple of warehouses around Detroit, with a third building housing a portion of the collection is open to special groups.
I've been in a few of those warehouses and any enthusiast would pay big money to just walk through them. Awesome stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
It's been discussed to hell and back here. Even with waivers, there's too much liability.

A few people on this site tried to get GM to sell them the 5th gen IVERs and were promptly told "no."
They won't even sell the CTFs until they are judged fully validated to GM and Government requirements.

GM used to sell parts to employees years ago. Story I heard was that a guy bought a set of tires for the family mobile, had a tire blow and he lost his entire family in the crash. Sue and won. Ever since all tires and wheels are cut up. Engines punched and bodies cut up.

All it takes is one.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:02 AM   #10
i2disturbedSS

Drives: 2010 SS L99 IOM
Wow crazy me and my brother went to that school my brother being the president for awhile not too long ago. He actually had a chance to mess with it on a dyno I believe he said.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
HeavyIOM

Drives: 2010 SS, 2000 Pontiac Formula
It's because we live in a "no matter what happens it's always someone else's fault" country. I cut my finger while making dinner. It's not my fault I wasn't paying attention. I'm going to sue the radio station for playing music to distract me, the store I bought the knife from for carrying it. The cashier for letting me pay for it, the knifes manufacturer for making it, the trucking company for delivering it ect. I have no faith in civil court.
HeavyIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:03 PM   #12
hockeylover86

Drives: Buick
The Chrysler Corp that donated those cars doesn't exist anymore..

They should be allowed to keep the cars..
hockeylover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylover86 View Post
The Chrysler Corp that donated those cars doesn't exist anymore..

They should be allowed to keep the cars..
However legally the company that bought them assumes the liability. If not then any company could just change ownership and avoid any liability.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:08 AM   #14
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
The car that was 'featured' in the article I read has prototypical equipment.

That car cannot be registered as it is not DOT legal. I would have to think the others are similar, maybe even without VINs.

From where I sit, these cars had a reprieve for years- they should have been destroyed decades ago. This is very common. I can only think of one prototype muscle car that escaped the crusher- the 1970 Buick GSX prototype. It was fully DOT legal when built. As far as I know, Brad Conley still owns it.