Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #1
willygault

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS w/RS package
2013 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 features?

Hey guys I've had my SS for about 3 weeks and I've found all the sweet spots for changing gears, rev matching, etc. Haven't messed with traction control yet. Is there a mode that is best to launch in or should I just leave it on. Also, (for the launch masters) what RPM do you take off at....and is there a certain speed letting off the clutch that you think is best to do a launch? Had a buddy say to just dump it (drives a 2010 SS M6 with 305s all around) but I wanted to get some opinions on here. Im on a stock wheel/tire setup. Thanks for your time!
willygault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Check your manual, Page 9-42 for a description of a feature called 'Launch Control'.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
willygault

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS w/RS package
Yeah I looked it up and mine will hit the rev limiter in comp mode. I found a video of a guy saying it should stay at +-4200 rpm but mine wouldn't stay. Wanted a straight answer of what it should do during competition mode and I cant find a feed of someone filming their gauges while doing it.
willygault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #4
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
my experience is that traction control and launch control hurt the drivetrain more than they help you get more consistent launches on manual trans 5th gens. 4 sets of driveshaft bolts and 1 set of blown spider gears to support

i disable everything and just launch at ~3200, roll it out for a split second and then smash it immediately. Never broke anything again and managed to get my fastest ET prior to cam and heads

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:33 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by willygault View Post
Yeah I looked it up and mine will hit the rev limiter in comp mode. I found a video of a guy saying it should stay at +-4200 rpm but mine wouldn't stay. Wanted a straight answer of what it should do during competition mode and I cant find a feed of someone filming their gauges while doing it.
Launch control is different than comp mode.

Hitting the traction control button twice QUICKLY will put you in launch control.

Push the clutch in and SLAM the throttle down. Just pressing it down won't work, you have to SLAM it down and hold it to the floor.. The engine will then rev of to a rpm based on the local temp and other things, usually reving to around 3800 rpm.

While continuing to hold the throttle down, let go of the clutch to launch the car. Continue to hold the throttle to the floor while shifting using the no-lift-shift feature.

Enjoy.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:51 AM   #6
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

Hitting the traction control button twice QUICKLY will put you in launch control.
Launch control is activated in competition mode, which is two taps of the TC button. DIC should display a message and the TC and stability light should be on on the speedo.

If you are in comp mode, launch control will work as long as the car is at a complete stop, clutch is fully pressed in and the steering wheel is straight. As stated mash the gas, car will rev to about 4500-5000 then drop to 4200.

In my experience with launch control I would say out of the ten times i've used it, it worked once perfectly. The other times it either blows the tires off or bogs hard. You are better off launching the car on your own. I usually rev to about 1k then slip the clutch.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
What it says Tires straight, 1st gear clutch in it goes to 4200 then you find its too high, and like most just go 3500 ish with out the launch control and don't blow the tires off....Recommend BMR trailing arms to avoid wheel hop. I do baby it built with lots more torque and with stickies I am sure to mess something up if not allowing the tiniest bit of roll out with stock axles and such. Stock built cammed etc 376 cube I would wheel hop pretty damn good with stock tires if not letting off it. Being a old hot rodder I know when to flog it and when to let off it..... Generally you need to use some common sense and common sense is your letting off the clutch smarter down in the 3500ish area and below to avoid wheel hop, and shock to the rear...down more in the range where most good aftermarket torque converters are for automatics.
And if you feel too much grip and one tire goes let off it... just a little less gas can save a rear end problem suddenly. Real racers set up suspensions just right and adjust them to be able to absorb the shock and torque down on the R/R hard and not get sideways.... Just dumping it stock no problem; build it and give it stickies/skinnies...you got problems
Good Luck.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
Sozo

Drives: 2015 Comm. M6 2SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post

While continuing to hold the throttle down, let go of the clutch to launch the car. Continue to hold the throttle to the floor while shifting using the no-lift-shift feature.

Enjoy.
I know very little about the "no lift feature" but I was under the impression for 5th gen that was a ZL1 feature ..do the SS have that as well ?
Sozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
There is no "No lift shift" deal for the fifth gen.... it is called grinding gears...LOL But for the zl1 yes it keeps the supercharger going when you keep it floored while switching gears...…using the clutch like normal to switch gears. Rev matching that's something else... And a SS is just like normal you have one foot going down...like the clutch while the other comes up..the Accelerator...then try to get the throttle right for hitting the next gear not too low or high in the rpm band self correcting for rev matching or you can get fishy or lug it..... Skills...….
Old 11-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sozo View Post
I know very little about the "no lift feature" but I was under the impression for 5th gen that was a ZL1 feature ..do the SS have that as well ?
There's no no lift shift feature for the SS. Its ZL1 only to keep boost through the gears.

I hear it can be set up in HP tuners for the SS
Old 11-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #11
Sozo

Drives: 2015 Comm. M6 2SS convertible
That's what I thought ..I've never had a car with it and was under the impression mine didn't have it as the 2SS but had read it was on 5th gen ZL1s wasn't curious enough to try to find out the hard way =)
Sozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #12
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sozo View Post
That's what I thought ..I've never had a car with it and was under the impression mine didn't have it as the 2SS but had read it was on 5th gen ZL1s wasn't curious enough to try to find out the hard way =)
I tried it out the hard way because someone swore to me that 1LEs had it. So I had to find out and now I can say they sure dont.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #13
HDRDTD

My mistake on the no-lift feature. I stupidly assumed the SS had it as well as my ZL1 when I saw the SS had the 'Launch Control' feature.

Ooops.