Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
GreyLS3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
getting Ready to put Texas Big flow Long tube headers on

Okay so I have been working with Chris from CC performance Thanks Chris I got my stock LS3 dyno'd yesterday for baseline results. I thought it would be more but Car has been sitting all winter I did put stabilizer in the gas but sitting may have resulted in lower than expected results. I will post sheets when I get them scanned in but shop didn't have online results. It posted 363.34 HP and 366.05 TQ on the third pull results were getting better not worse from 1st pull to 3rd on a Dynojet Research @ 2500 ft elevation.
I purchased headers from Chris to see what results would actually be accomplished and how easy of a swap they actually are. Okay can you say WTF were you thinking doing install myself in garage on jack stands so about as challenging as it could get. I will post up pics and review as I do this. My mechanical experience I would say moderate used to tear apart motors and put them back together and yes they ran. Did my own sway bars and springs on the SS. So I know what I am in for but about as honest as one could get about do it yourself. Well off to start this project.
GreyLS3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I did complete exhaust in my garage by myself on jack stands. I also installed complete subframe bushings by myself in my garage... Now I am doing a heads/cam/differential install... by myself... in my garage... using jackstands. None of it is hard if you aren't afraid to get dirty.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
GreyLS3SS

Thanks want to come help LOL started project and trying to video as I go for a DIY to post up. no issues yet but haven't gotten to putting them up in there yet and hooking everything up Thanks for encouragement

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
I did complete exhaust in my garage by myself on jack stands. I also installed complete subframe bushings by myself in my garage... Now I am doing a heads/cam/differential install... by myself... in my garage... using jackstands. None of it is hard if you aren't afraid to get dirty.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:13 PM   #4
blake-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLS3SS View Post
Thanks want to come help LOL started project and trying to video as I go for a DIY to post up. no issues yet but haven't gotten to putting them up in there yet and hooking everything up Thanks for encouragement
The most difficult part was being over the fender and having to get the header up to you. I used bungee cords. I got under the car and hooked one to the header, went back over the fender, pulled the header into place and started one bolt (no gasket). That was just to hold it up. I unhooked the cord, positioned the gasket, started a different bolt, took out the first bolt, positioned the gasket completely and started other bolts, so on and so forth.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
GreyLS3SS

Thanks for the tip, getting the old exhuast out was no piece of cake. The rear valance was a bit of a bugger. but I will post it up in the DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake-b View Post
The most difficult part was being over the fender and having to get the header up to you. I used bungee cords. I got under the car and hooked one to the header, went back over the fender, pulled the header into place and started one bolt (no gasket). That was just to hold it up. I unhooked the cord, positioned the gasket, started a different bolt, took out the first bolt, positioned the gasket completely and started other bolts, so on and so forth.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
there is already an awesome DIY.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...header+install
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
So will you get a dyno before a tune?

Are you using the BFE cats or a straight pipe?

I have a set of these but I want to try a ported TB by itself before the LTs.

And I plan to go tuneless.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #8
GreyLS3SS

I got the baseline tune listed above then I will go back and get the dyno without a tune. I purchased the highflow cats with them since I am in an emission state.Depending on codes I may get a tune, I will get a dyno tune after I add the CAI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
So will you get a dyno before a tune?

Are you using the BFE cats or a straight pipe?

I have a set of these but I want to try a ported TB by itself before the LTs.

And I plan to go tuneless.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
blake-b

With only a cai and the heades and no tune, I could feel a definite increase in power when I took the car for a spin after installing the headers. It took about 200 miles before my CEL came on. It's still on because I haven't tuned the car yet. I'm looking to get it the way I want and then only have to do one tune. Until I change something, and I know I will.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:03 PM   #10
ADV.1 Matt

Drives: N/A
Can't wait to see and hear your results!
ADV.1 Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
GreyLS3SS

Okay so a question While the big flow exhaust headers went on fairly easy. Their website sucks for support and since they provided no direction or instructions on the install at all Are you listening Big Flow. I am getting ready to cut the stock exhaust because I am using the stock resonators yea I know, I will replace with a axle back system at later date. But it apperars that the cut I need to make on the drivers side is at the same point as a small bend dent to slip it into the piece purchased from big flow. which if I cut it there it will not seal at all. Is this an anomally with mine or anyone else had this problem with aftermarket systems?
Old 03-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #12
Santos
Santos

Drives: 1SS Blk 6M ECS 1500
Any videos to come?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:41 PM   #13
tonystark

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I didnt have any problem at all but heres a video

this video is on their website. It shows clearly where to cut stock exhaust. Pretty simple.. I didnt have any problem at all. I just measured and cut! heres the link.

tonystark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
Bell040

Drives: 2SS/RS - Black - GFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLS3SS View Post
Okay so a question While the big flow exhaust headers went on fairly easy. Their website sucks for support and since they provided no direction or instructions on the install at all Are you listening Big Flow. I am getting ready to cut the stock exhaust because I am using the stock resonators yea I know, I will replace with a axle back system at later date. But it apperars that the cut I need to make on the drivers side is at the same point as a small bend dent to slip it into the piece purchased from big flow. which if I cut it there it will not seal at all. Is this an anomally with mine or anyone else had this problem with aftermarket systems?
most headers/HF cats do not require a cut, you just loosen the stock band clamp and reattach.

Do you have:

or

and

or worst case....

Customer service is why everyone says to buy directly from Kooks or ARH. These no-namers let you buy a header system without talking to a tech first about your current setup... sucks!
Built: 3-30-09 (#1691)
Recieved: 6-12-09

Blacked out, Cammed (Lunati Voodoo 233/245, .578/.598 @114°, +4°), ARH LTs, VR OTR CAI, Cutouts, and lots of other fun mods.
Bell040 is offline   Reply With Quote