#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #141
Waiting46

Drives: 1981 silver corvette,Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The 1LE doesn't need MRC or the 8 speed. If you want MRC and the 8 speed, get an SS.
Doesn't need it, but if it were an option, Id consider it.

that's why they make chocolate and vanilla
Waiting46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:21 PM   #142
Iron Oak
Club Motorsports Track Op

Drives: STI, Land Rover and future 1LE
Sorry but the 8 speed transmission is horribly slow for track work. (I drove the new Z06 with the 8 speed on track) They need a dedicated DSG (dual clutch setup) if they want quicker, crisper shifts. I personally want the 6 speed manual.
Iron Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #143
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Oak View Post
Sorry but the 8 speed transmission is horribly slow for track work. (I drove the new Z06 with the 8 speed on track) They need a dedicated DSG (dual clutch setup) if they want quicker, crisper shifts. I personally want the 6 speed manual.
Interesting.. That's not what professional race car drivers have said.. But maybe they're paid off by GM.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 04:36 PM   #144
Iron Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
Interesting.. That's not what professional race car drivers have said.. But maybe they're paid off by GM.
The upshifts are fine but the downshifts are really slow. I drove this back to back with a Lamborghini Huracan and the transmission shifting is night and day. I drove both in manual mode back to back on the same road course.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #145
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
OH right, let's compare a $78K - $95K car with a $250,000+ car and complain that such and such is better on this $250,000 car so the corvette sucks.

LOL..yeah, that makes total sense.

For the life of me I can't figure out why GM can't make a car better than a LaFerrari, but for $45,000 - what a bunch of no good low lifes.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #146
Iron Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post
OH right, let's compare a $78K - $95K car with a $250,000+ car and complain that such and such is better on this $250,000 car so the corvette sucks.

For the life of me I can't figure out why GM can't make a car better than a LaFerrari, but for $45,000 - what a bunch of no good low lifes.
Well in every other way the Z06 was as good if not better than the Lambo. The handling, braking and acceleration were astounding.

Besides you are missing the point. The 8 speed is no good for track work. Stick to the manual.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #147
ChefBorOzzy

Quote:
The upshifts are fine but the downshifts are really slow. I drove this back to back with a Lamborghini Huracan and the transmission shifting is night and day. I drove both in manual mode back to back on the same road course.
They did say to leave it in auto and it works great that way.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #148
Iron Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverTaco07 View Post

If you want to put it in perspective, you can get Porsche's PDK dual clutch transmissions in just about any 911(arguably one of the best dual clutch granny's on the market right now) the price point of the Z06 and a Carrera S are just about the same. So your point is invalid.

Another concern was transmission fluid temps as well.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:14 PM   #149
Iron Oak

All I'm saying is I didn't care for the 8 speed for the track. I stated my reasons why. If you choose to use the 8 speed, have at it. It may work better in the auto setting but why then even bother having the manual setting if it shifts slower as most people would naturally put it into manual mode on the track.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #150
ChefBorOzzy

E
Quote:
All I'm saying is I didn't care for the 8 speed for the track. I stated my reasons why. If you choose to use the 8 speed, have at it. It may work better in the auto setting but why then even bother having the manual setting if it shifts slower as most people would naturally put it into manual mode on the track.
I'd get the manual anyway.. But why get an auto and then use it in manual mode on the track?
Old 09-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #151
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
MRC is more than just a "compromise" suspension and doesn't get enough credit for being a great handling suspension. It works great on the ZL1, CTS-V, and C7 ZO6 which is no surprise. Even the GT350 has it for good reason. It offers the best of both worlds with a nice compliant suspension in Tour mode and flat out handles in Track mode. If anything the old philosophy of it handles great on the track, but rides like a lumber truck on the street is more of a compromise. Thankfully the OEM's have adapted this technology and will continue to develop it on future models.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #152
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
If you want to put it in perspective, you can get Porsche's PDK dual clutch transmissions in just about any 911(arguably one of the best dual clutch granny's on the market right now) the price point of the Z06 and a Carrera S are just about the same. So your point is invalid.

Another concern was transmission fluid temps as well.
FYI the 8-speed shifts quicker then the PDK...

You need to leave it in D. Manual mode slows it down.
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:52 PM   #153
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Why is a 1LE thead in the ZL1 section?
SS 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:03 PM   #154
Iron Oak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
E

I'd get the manual anyway.. But why get an auto and then use it in manual mode on the track?
When I say track, I'm talking road course if that wasn't clear. If I were at the drag strip then regular drive would be all I used.

That being said. I find it beneficial to use manual mode to hold a gear from upshifting, manually downshift for turns, partially assist with engine brake while hard on the brakes. I too would get the manual. It's more enjoyable for me. If I were being paid to race these cars professionally and milliseconds counted than I might reconsider. But for now I'm fine with rowing my own.