Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
vestalsin

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS Inferno Orange
MyLink Radio

I had a question about the mylink radios. I purchased one along with all the wiring harnesses. I know I can have it unlocked and programmed by Gen5DIY however what goes into reprogramming these? I talked to someone at the Chevy dealership today and he told me they could unlock and program it if I had it all installed. Is this true? I rather have someone close by that can do it instead of having to ship it and wait for it to come back not to mention a cheaper price. Was told it would run me about 109 bucks at dealer. If anyone has any info about this I would appreciate it.
Old 03-30-2016, 05:06 PM   #2
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
It just has to be programmed to your vin to work. Yes a dealer can do it if they know what they are doing but that is all they will do. If you go thru gen5diy they can turn on other options such as rear camera or defeat the in motion nav use etc etc.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
vestalsin

The dealership cannot do that either? What does gen5 do that the dealer cant? I mean i am just curious as to what they do to be able to bypass the system to enable the other features.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:49 AM   #4
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
That depends on your dealer, Yes they can turn on rear view camera but there may be another charge i dunno. They won't defeat any of the safety's like nav while in motion or entering destinations while driving etc. I don't know what gen5diy price is just for programming because I bought the entire kit from them. They would be better to answer the differences what they can do that the dealer can't.
Once it is programmed I'm sure you'll want a rear camera so keep that part in mind as well.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 01:05 PM   #5
Graphicsgod

Drives: 2015 Manual Hot Red 2LS Camaro
Yeah, if you want it specific to your needs and your car, have Gen5DIY do it!!

If all you want is it to be unlocked, then a dealer can do it. But that is all they are going to do, and hopefully do it for a reasonable price. And then you have to hope they are capable of doing the job responsibly!! I've heard some horror stories from some guys on here that had a nightmare at the dealer getting anything done right.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:15 PM   #6
vestalsin

Ok sounds good. Thanks for all the help. I have everything I need just need to have it reprogrammed. Just was buying some time as the cost is a bit pricey for program plus getting a camera for it. I already paid 850 for the radio and harness.