Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 03-30-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Imdyinhere
Keeper of the Gold Acorn

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Question about sub boxes and twin subs

I recently installed a subwoofer box with two 10's. I am curious if anyone has had any fitment issues with the cover the goes over the battery/spare tire compartment after putting the box in?

If anyone has managed a solution to this issue, let me know.

Thanks.
2011 RJT 2SS/RS - Kooks 1-7/8 Long Tubes, High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, MTI Short Throw Shifter, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, Fasster Billet Fuel Rails & Custom Braided Vapor and Fuel Lines, CAI Cold Air Intake, RX Catch Can, Nitto Invos, Hawk HPS, BMR Trailing Arms, 2x Zapco ST4x-SQ amps, ST850x-II Sub amp, Morel Tempo 6 componenets, Morel Maximo 6x9, Morel 124 Primo Sub, Zapco DSP8Z Processor... More to Come.
Imdyinhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I assume the box is somehow causing the cover not to fit into place? There would be no other reason for it not to fit aside from something you added/changed being in the way.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:28 AM   #3
Imdyinhere
Keeper of the Gold Acorn

Thanks Jim, but I was looking for a solution, not a restatement of the issue I am having.

So to all out there, what solution have you found to get the original cover back in place after having installed a subwoofer box.
2011 RJT 2SS/RS - Kooks 1-7/8 Long Tubes, High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, MTI Short Throw Shifter, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, Fasster Billet Fuel Rails & Custom Braided Vapor and Fuel Lines, CAI Cold Air Intake, RX Catch Can, Nitto Invos, Hawk HPS, BMR Trailing Arms, 2x Zapco ST4x-SQ amps, ST850x-II Sub amp, Morel Tempo 6 componenets, Morel Maximo 6x9, Morel 124 Primo Sub, Zapco DSP8Z Processor... More to Come.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:17 AM   #4
arkentect

Drives: 2010 Camaro SGM 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post
I assume the box is somehow causing the cover not to fit into place? There would be no other reason for it not to fit aside from something you added/changed being in the way.
^^He was trying to help.

Its hard to come up with a solution for you without a description of how its not fitting correctly. Im guessing you have the subs pushed as far as possible into the trunk, the weight of the subs could be pushing down on the rear of the cover creating an opposite reaction on the front of the cover not allowing it to seat properly.

Got any pics?
arkentect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
Gavros 4 Life

Drives: 2SS/RS Summit White Black Stripes
Took mine out to change the battery but can't get it back on so I don't have it in right now lol
Gavros 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimE View Post

What he said. Did you do something underneath it that would be causing it not to sit flush? Did you mount an amp under there?
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:53 AM   #7
hazy

check your wires.

I had a similar issue when I did mine, and it was caused by the hot wire going to amp causing the cover to not sit flush. Basically, it made a 'lump' that the cover wasn't designed to accept. By moving things around just a bit, got it flush, and cover fit just fine.

Or you could just notch that cover to accommodate the additional wire.
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdyinhere View Post
I recently installed a subwoofer box with two 10's. I am curious if anyone has had any fitment issues with the cover the goes over the battery/spare tire compartment after putting the box in?

If anyone has managed a solution to this issue, let me know.

Thanks.
Why do I see us building you a new box on mod day.......
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 11:41 AM   #9
Imdyinhere
Keeper of the Gold Acorn

JimE, sorry if that came off as snarky.... Wasn't my intention.

LOL thanks guys for all the input.

The issue is that the box, while pushed all the way back covers about 2-2.5 inches of the tub. Since the box wont tilt backwards, the cover will not slide in. Even after removing the trunk latch it still catches on the inside body panel at the rear of the trunk. I have my ground and fuse for power mounted low enough on the tub wall to not interfere.

Maybe I just cut the cover....

And no Snoman... I like the box I have.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
yzark99
I run 2 catch cans...

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Auto
I had the same problem. With the box in the way, there is no clearance to get the tire cover on. I have to remove my box, and tilt my amp rack up to get the cover on correctly. If you have a few inches of space above the sub box, you should be able to tilt it so that the rear edge opens up a gap to get the cover in through the trunk opening. The edge that rotates needs to be behind the carpet humps for this to work. If your box is too big, you will either have to cut the hole cover, or replace it with a thin sheet of plywood.
Attached Images

Last edited by yzark99; 03-31-2015 at 12:34 PM. Reason: typo
yzark99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 12:37 PM   #11
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdyinhere View Post

The issue is that the box, while pushed all the way back covers about 2-2.5 inches of the tub...
...Maybe I just cut the cover....

And no Snoman... I like the box I have.

<3 It's just a matter of shifting go-fast money for go-sound money, build the box around the hole : )
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 01:04 PM   #12
Sigelitest

Drives: White 2016 Z06
If its flat it should fit fine. are u sure the foam bat cover is setting flat? i took a torch to mine to get it to fit.
It made a perfect hole for the amp lug
Old 03-31-2015, 03:17 PM   #13
Imdyinhere
Keeper of the Gold Acorn

Ill just trim it to fit. Its not like its a safety thing anyway. And unseen when the carpet is in. No biggie.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:33 PM   #14
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
<3 It's just a matter of shifting go-fast money for go-sound money, build the box around the hole : )

Or build the sub in the hole :-)
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote