Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-20-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
DarrenJ

Drives: '67 Camaro ZZ4 & 2010 IOM 2SS
Wreck story!

I'm on my way home from work to help my lovely wife out with a pool party when I get a call from my son who was on his way his way to work...and when it starts out like this: "Dad, you're gonna kill me..." you know it's not good. Ryan tells me he his "oil" on the road and drove his '99 Z-28 through a fence, but no damage, just fence (haha - 17 YO). So I'm thinking he's driving too fast, had an argument with his girlfriend & wrecked his car - I'm a little upset...tell em I wasn't turning it in on his insurance and he has to pay for the fence. I get to the scene 1/2 hour later and there is oil/sludge/environmental waste all over the road and it goes on for MILES. I follow the oil slick for 14 miles (no kiddin) and catch the guy pulled over by a deputy. I get out, tell the deputy what happened and make some comments about how stupid it was to drive 14 miles & not know what was going on. Well, the slope/hill-jack/tard decided to enter the conversation by telling me it wasn't his fault, "someone" forgot to put the cap on the tank. It was so stupid, it was almost funny. I ask him if he noticed the 14 miles of sludge he was spreading behind him and it was "buddy, I don't drive behind my truck". It went downhill from there with me calling him too stupid to drive a truck, walk or use the bathroom, for that matter. Told him if he worked for me, he'd be fired on the spot.

I called his boss to see what they were going to do about it, he wasn't very "humble", so I sent them a "gift" by calling my state's department of environmental protection, nedless to say, this is the second spill they've had in the past 30 days (hehe).

Bad part of this, the "no damage" reported by by kid turned out to be $4,910.25 with almost the entire car needing paint and the driver fender was "busted" (it's plastic).

...And before you ride me about the kid, he's OK...

Last edited by DarrenJ; 08-20-2010 at 10:19 PM.
DarrenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
lightning
Lightning & Thunder

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS
Glad your kid is OK. Sorry about the car. There are people infected with the I-D-10T disease all over everywhere these days. The worst part is they totally refuse to believe they are infected and will firmly declare under oath that they are totally innocent of any wrong doing or stupidity on their part. The best we can do is try to protect ourselves from them at all times.... and pray.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
born-to-fish-

Drives: Fifty 2SS Vert
First rule of a professional driver
INSPECT YOUR LOAD
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:50 PM   #4
DarrenJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by born-to-fish- View Post
First rule of a professional driver
INSPECT YOUR LOAD
Professional? I wish I would have taken a photo, you should have seen this guy...
Old 08-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
goshawk823

Drives: 2017 RS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenJ View Post
I'm on my way home from work to help my lovely wife out with a pool party when I get a call from my son who was on his way his way to work...and when it starts out like this: "Dad, you're gonna kill me..." you know it's not good. Ryan tells me he his "oil" on the road and drove his '99 Z-28 through a fence, but no damage, just fence (haha - 17 YO). So I'm thinking he's driving too fast, had an arguement with his girlfriend & wrecked his car - I'm a little upset...tell em I wasn't turning it in on his insurance and he has to pay for the fence. I get to the scene 1/2 hour later and there is oil/sludge/environmental waste all over the road and it goes on for MILES. I follow the oil slick for 14 miles (no kiddin) and catch the guy pulled over by a deputy. I get out, tell the deputy what happened and make some comments about how stupid it was to drive 14 miles & not know what was going on. Well, the slope/hill-jack/tard decided to enter the conversation by telling me it wasn't his fault, "someone" forgot to put the cap on the tank. It was so stupid, it was almost funny. I ask him if he noticed the 14 miles of sludge he was spreading behind him and it was "buddy, I don't drive behind my truck". It went downhill from there with me calling him too stupid to drive a truck, walk or use the bathroom, for that matter. Told him if he worked for me, he'd be fired on the spot.

I called his boss to see what they were going to do about it, he wasn't very "humble", so I sent them a "gift" by calling my state's department of environmental protection, nedless to say, this is the second spill they've had in the past 30 days (hehe).

Bad part of this, the "no damage" reported by by kid turned out to be $4,910.25 with almost the entire car needing paint and the driver fender was "busted" (it's plastic).

...And before you ride me about the kid, he's OK...
glad your son is OK. that's the most important...

unfortunately, there are more and more ****-tards on the road just like this...
2010 2LT RS
2013 2SS RS

Current ride:
2017 Camaro 2LT RS convertible
goshawk823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
squat

Drives: 2011 Dodge Charger
I'm going to go on a rant here:

I am starting to hate truckers. I develop less respect for them every month. It's becoming so bad that it's almost a racist thing for me because as soon as I find out someone is a trucker I think less of them. I drive 120 highway miles every day so I encounter trucks several times a day. Here are my reasons/issues.

1. I see shredded pieces of blown tire at least once a week on the highway. Truckers are supposed to replace their tires after they reach a certain wear point, but they don't. Letting the tire blowout saves them disposal fees of the old tires and lets them put off buying a new tire/retread for that many more miles. This is not only unsafe for the truck but especially for cars that are driving around the truck.

2. I can count on one hand the number of times I've witnessed the driver of a car do something absolutely stupid/dangerous. I see the driver of a truck do something stupid/dangerous once a month. This includes:

a. taking left turns to fast and tipping the truck over into oncoming traffic (on the highway with cars coming in at 60+ mph, cross traffic stops oncoming does not)
b. deciding the car in front is going slow and getting into the other lane to pass them right as the 2 lane goes to 1 lane (resulting in the truck driving into oncoming traffic for a bit)
c. I've actually had truckers (yes plural) try to keep up with my G8 as I'm passing them in icy/snowy conditions resulting in them losing control of the truck

3. At least a couple times a year I see crap fall off a truck because their load isn't secured.

Ok, I guess that's not that many reasons, but truckers still bother me to no end. As a supposed professional driver you are supposed to be better than the rest of us and most of the time I get the feeling that their attitude is that they own the road and **** everyone else.

If a truckers does something stupid or dangerous they're a lot more likely to kill someone than if a car driver does something stupid.

/rant

I'm glad your son is OK and I hope you can get the trucking company to pay for the damage.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #7
lightning
Lightning & Thunder

Drives: 2010 SIM 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post

I am starting to hate truckers. I develop less respect for them every month. It's becoming so bad that it's almost a racist thing for me because as soon as I find out someone is a trucker I think less of them. I drive 120 highway miles every day so I encounter trucks several times a day. Here are my reasons/issues.

1. I see shredded pieces of blown tire at least once a week on the highway. Truckers are supposed to replace their tires after they reach a certain wear point, but they don't. Letting the tire blowout saves them disposal fees of the old tires and lets them put off buying a new tire/retread for that many more miles. This is not only unsafe for the truck but especially for cars that are driving around the truck.

2. I can count on one hand the number of times I've witnessed the driver of a car do something absolutely stupid/dangerous. I see the driver of a truck do something stupid/dangerous once a month. This includes:

a. taking left turns to fast and tipping the truck over into oncoming traffic (on the highway with cars coming in at 60+ mph, cross traffic stops oncoming does not)
b. deciding the car in front is going slow and getting into the other lane to pass them right as the 2 lane goes to 1 lane (resulting in the truck driving into oncoming traffic for a bit)
c. I've actually had truckers (yes plural) try to keep up with my G8 as I'm passing them in icy/snowy conditions resulting in them losing control of the truck

3. At least a couple times a year I see crap fall off a truck because their load isn't secured.

Ok, I guess that's not that many reasons, but truckers still bother me to no end. As a supposed professional driver you are supposed to be better than the rest of us and most of the time I get the feeling that their attitude is that they own the road and **** everyone else.

If a truckers does something stupid or dangerous they're a lot more likely to kill someone than if a car driver does something stupid.

/rant

I'm glad your son is OK and I hope you can get the trucking company to pay for the damage.
I can understand your frustration. My brother lost his job as an electrical design engineer a little over a year ago. He finally just found new employment about 2 weeks ago as a long haul trucker. He says his "trainer" is the personification of what you were describing. This guy just doesn't give a rats @#$ about anybody or anyone else on the road. His truck is a mess. The clutch is all but gone and he won't do anything about it. Who knows what else is totally worn out on his rig.

But, to be honest, I've seen plenty of personal car drivers that should not be behind the wheel of a car. Doing the dumbest things you can imagine. I simply don't understand why the drivers license divisions of the few states I've driven in just hand out drivers licenses like they're lollipops.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
Totally the drivers fault. End of story.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:47 PM   #9
John Shields
"Back in Black"

Drives: '10 1LT/RS Black w/Silver Stripes
It's still an asinine comment, but he at least made sense when he said he doesn't drive behind his truck. But any halfway competent person should have glanced back at least once and saw SOMETHING.

The story was kind of all over the place. So the slick caused your kid to wreck out? We have spills here all the time from various trucks, cars, etc... I've never seen someone go through a fence because of some oil on the road. We're not talking Loony Toons here. But hey, I wont get into that.

Good thing the car can be fixed, the fence repaired, and no one got hurt.

To the Jerkoff in SW Denver Driving the Black Camaro:
Quit making us look bad by driving like a tool and cutting people off (my wife included)!
John Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning View Post
I can understand your frustration. My brother lost his job as an electrical design engineer a little over a year ago. He finally just found new employment about 2 weeks ago as a long haul trucker. He says his "trainer" is the personification of what you were describing. This guy just doesn't give a rats @#$ about anybody or anyone else on the road. His truck is a mess. The clutch is all but gone and he won't do anything about it. Who knows what else is totally worn out on his rig.

But, to be honest, I've seen plenty of personal car drivers that should not be behind the wheel of a car. Doing the dumbest things you can imagine. I simply don't understand why the drivers license divisions of the few states I've driven in just hand out drivers licenses like they're lollipops.
I was thinking as I wrote the rant that I won't encounter stupidity for a while but I had to dodge 3 shredded tires on the road today on my way home from work.

I understand what you're saying about poor personal car drivers, I may not be as aware of them because they're not in big rigs. But they're not as dangerous as a poor big rig driver.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #11
DarrenJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Totally the drivers fault. End of story.
Oh, not by his standards, all he did was look forward, move the steering wheel & press the gas pedal...not sure if he could think through the process of shifting, and he sure didn't know how to use a mirror or what it was for.

Epic fail on the first law of hauling - secure the load.

How many of you guys did not go back and double-check your load before you got behind the wheel?

DOT has fined them and they sent a crew down to fix the fence my kid hit.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
DarrenJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Shields View Post
It's still an asinine comment, but he at least made sense when he said he doesn't drive behind his truck. But any halfway competent person should have glanced back at least once and saw SOMETHING.

The story was kind of all over the place. So the slick caused your kid to wreck out? We have spills here all the time from various trucks, cars, etc... I've never seen someone go through a fence because of some oil on the road. We're not talking Loony Toons here. But hey, I wont get into that.

Good thing the car can be fixed, the fence repaired, and no one got hurt.
This wasn't some thin, oily motor oil substance, it was thick crude mixed with brine. Where I live, there are many natural gas wells and this garbage is a by-product, doesn't produce enough crude to be beneficial, so when the tanks get full, these trucks have to haul it off for disposal. I drove slowly into it on my way to running the tard down and I was all over the road, there were 4-5 other accidents caused by the same slick.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:03 PM   #13
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by squat View Post

I am starting to hate truckers. I develop less respect for them every month. It's becoming so bad that it's almost a racist thing for me because as soon as I find out someone is a trucker I think less of them.
I'm a trucker........................ Do you know me?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
I'm a trucker........................ Do you know me?
No sir, I do not know you. I hope you are one of the good ones out there. Stay safe.