Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 05-10-2011, 09:41 AM   #1
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
Just a thought...

i know with all of the warranty concerns, that a custom tune is probably not a good idea for most of you guys.

Something I was curious, is if any shops(or individuals) have tried a piggyback, or a whole EMS system, so you don't have to modify the stock ECM...

It's worked for a lot of four cylinder cars, and I'm pretty sure the systems can handle 8 injectors...just a thought...

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
3min3m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I thought of that too, have two ecm's one with the factory tune, the other for the custom tune. I wonder how much an ecm goes for?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
3min3m2

I dont know if the ECMs are even available, and they may even be VIN coded...

I was suggesting a piggyback system, like an Emanage Ultimate(for example)...

Odd that no one commented on this...

Old 05-11-2011, 04:21 PM   #4
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3min3m2 View Post
I dont know if the ECMs are even available, and they may even be VIN coded...

I was suggesting a piggyback system, like an Emanage Ultimate(for example)...

Odd that no one commented on this...
Most likely no one has even begun trying to build a piggy back. That is some serious work.... and a sh1tload of variables such as NA or FI, what/which mods etc etc.

Last edited by hypurone; 05-11-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: sp
hypurone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #5
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Most likely no one has even begun trying to build a piggy back. That is some serious work.... and a sh1tload of variables such as NA or FI, what/which mods etc etc.

Actually adkins performance is currently working on a supercharger and as of right now building a turbo kit for v6 camaro that will utilize AEM piggyback.
Not exactly sure how this is going to be done or are they trying to give us more info at this point, but you can check it out over at the v6 forced induction section

I was actually also thinking about using a standalone ecm to tune a car especially for v6 since there's only 1 tuner for v6 as of right now.

I wonder if this can be done. Any experienced vendors want to chime in or other members who are more knowledgeable.
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #6
hypurone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
Actually adkins performance is currently working on a supercharger and as of right now building a turbo kit for v6 camaro that will utilize AEM piggyback.
Not exactly sure how this is going to be done or are they trying to give us more info at this point, but you can check it out over at the v6 forced induction section

I was actually also thinking about using a standalone ecm to tune a car especially for v6 since there's only 1 tuner for v6 as of right now.

I wonder if this can be done. Any experienced vendors want to chime in or other members who are more knowledgeable.
Cool. That reads as a narrowly focused implementation. And something tells me that if it were that feasible (read mass producible) it would have been done by now and someone would have come to market with it. Especially Vince who has spent so much time on tuning the OE Bosch unit for the V6's. Plus it is one more tuning system that tuners would have to learn and invest in

I am not saying it can't be done but it IS gonna be a large amount of R&D, especially if you want a "plug and play" system with no traces left (connectors vs cut/splicing etc)
Old 05-11-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Im waiting to see how this AEM piggy will be utilized on adkin's build. I guess time will tell
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Basically, if you have mods that are really worth a tune to make that much of a difference, unless your GM mechanic is a moron, he'll know you made some kind of mods to your vehicle. And, if you mod the vehicle to a certain point and then put the stock tune back in there, don't be surprised if you car won't start up or worse.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
3min3m2

I'm guessing a lot of you guys responding(no offense intended here) haven't dont a lot of work with a piggyback.....

Lets look at the AEM FIC. Can control several injectors, and several coil packs. Can monitor a Wideband(such as AEM UEGO) and tune from there, on its own.

I just dont understand why no one has tried this. It would install after the ECU, before the injectors and coil packs, and essentially intercepts the signals and modifies them. Make a plug and play harness, boom your warranty is now safe and sound.

Worked on my Scion, even traded the car in post turbo, no one had any idea...

Old 05-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
TornadoSS
WICKDSS

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IOM LS3
I too, have questioned why there is no piggy back system. I use a Dyno Jet Power Commander 5 on my '09 Harley which has a delphi ecm and fuel injection system. The PC5 is a simple system it just captures and resends the fuel, AFR and timing numbers from a predetermined MAP. Even has the ability to store more than one tune and is switchable. Just plug in the laptop and tune. I also added the auto tune system to it with wide band O2 sensors. I can't believe that no one is pursuing this on the Camaro it would make some money for some one for sure.
TornadoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #11
hypurone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3min3m2 View Post
I'm guessing a lot of you guys responding(no offense intended here) haven't dont a lot of work with a piggyback.....

Lets look at the AEM FIC. Can control several injectors, and several coil packs. Can monitor a Wideband(such as AEM UEGO) and tune from there, on its own.

I just dont understand why no one has tried this. It would install after the ECU, before the injectors and coil packs, and essentially intercepts the signals and modifies them. Make a plug and play harness, boom your warranty is now safe and sound.

Worked on my Scion, even traded the car in post turbo, no one had any idea...
I have a LOT of experience with piggy-back units. And is why I responded the way I did. It's not that the unit can't work on our cars. BUT, it's gonna take someone making the "pass-through" connectors which in themselves are time consuming and specialized (so it can be inline with the onboard ECM) & wiring harness(es), then learning whatever program(s) it takes to tune the thing both statically (before it is even installed on the car so it can at least idle) then dynamically (on the dyno etc) and this doesn't even factor in the necessary "tie-in" for the TCM for the AT cars (cuz you are gonna have to do em to get the most return on investment)...
Old 05-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #12
3min3m2

I honestly believe a small piggy back system is simple enough to be wire tied in, and then just have it modulate the signal only at certain RPMs.

I am just surprised no one has done this yet, altough if the ECM logs, it will show that AFR will be off...

Old 05-17-2011, 05:51 AM   #13
hoffmk2003
The Hof

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS
the reason there is no piggyback system is because the factory computer is perfectly capable of being modified to via EFI live or HP tuners for all your mod combinations.

The reason piggy back computers were used are for cars that don't have aftermarket support, like some of the VDubs and things where you have to actually have a computer to direct the injectors what to do because you can't crack into the stock computer, or no one has figured out how.

I really wouldn't worry about a tune that much, get one from a good place and your car will be fine.

Ken
#6 Bolt on Fast List...best ET 12.01@117 mph
http://www.streetfire.net/video/best...ro_2240734.htm
hoffmk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote