Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-20-2019, 08:21 PM   #1
birdmanf16

Drives: 2022 Zl1 1lE
Send a message via MSN to birdmanf16 Send a message via Yahoo to birdmanf16
Helmet won't fit through window

So, this is a thought I had the other day on the track. What if I am in the car and have a crash....and need to get out of the car quickly with my helmet on? Well, that ain't happening. My helmet prevents me from getting out the small window opening! So my plan is to remove the helmet and neck brace and egress that way. Does anyone else have this issue? Are there smaller helmets that fit through the opening?
birdmanf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:09 PM   #2
Crankshaft

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro ss
Problem with that idea is that always think of worse case scenario, not that i would ever wish it on anybody but if there is fire involved there is no taking off the helmet in that situation. I have been looking into those extinguishing balls to have under the hood as i would rather clean off the agent than receive the warm embrace that fire offers. I am sure you can find a smaller version you can fit thru the window unless you have a big ass head like i do
Old 11-20-2019, 09:44 PM   #3
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Hell, my chest won't fit thru the window. So helmet size doesn't matter.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #4
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
if you have to get out of a car QUICKLY, the last thing you need to worry about is taking your Safety Equipment off.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #5
s.hammer

Drives: 2015 Z/28
Thoughts become things... Stop thinking and you will be able to drive faster. I am joking here, I have thought the same. The Camaro windows are not ideal for escape. You may want to look in to a fire safety system if it becomes a constant thought.

Here is an example of a fire system

https://discoveryparts.com/spa-techn...fia18-l4s.html
s.hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #6
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
6th gen is ever smaller!!
Old 11-21-2019, 10:41 PM   #7
birdmanf16

Drives: 2022 Zl1 1lE
Send a message via MSN to birdmanf16 Send a message via Yahoo to birdmanf16
When I flew F-16s, we trained and practiced emergency procedures all the time, including emergency ground egress. Always a good idea to have a well thought out plan when doing dangerous activities, so yes I think about scenarios before hand!
birdmanf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
4 FN 27

Drives: 2015 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmanf16 View Post
When I flew F-16s, we trained and practiced emergency procedures all the time, including emergency ground egress. Always a good idea to have a well thought out plan when doing dangerous activities, so yes I think about scenarios before hand!
This is the best approach to really anything you anticipate in life.

When I was drag racing my crew gave me a hard time about practicing egress, finding switches and launching the chutes blindfolded.

Well in 2006 at VMP at 205.51 MPH I launched the Chutes in the Trap and a Lanyard hooked the Wheelie Bar putting the car into the wall and then on it's roof. Slid 900+ feet to a stop upside down.

My training paid off...pulled my feet towards me, left hand grabbing my harness, right hand on the Fire Pin ready to pull it knowing to keep my hands away from the Switch Panel up by the Windshield where the track was grinding away the Roll Bar. Once the Car came to a stop I calmly disconnected my Helmet Com tucked my head in and release the Harness allowing me to egress once I had released the window net. The Doors were blown off in the upset.

Next I walked to the back of the car and hit the main Power Disconnect.

Did all of that without much thought...all from rehearsing over and over mentally and physically.

With a Race Car no matter what type it is not a matter of if...just when.

I can get in and out of my Z through the Window no problem...but I have not done it with a Helmet...haven't tracked it yet. Thus I will be checking this out and will have to come up with a plan if I do track it.
Attached Images